What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Zoe on this morning kept on about the weight loss and DIRECT (800 calorie shakes for 12 weeks) . Basically saying that lowering the calorie intake was the solution.
This is what I’m trying at the moment. For me cutting carbs with LCHF bought my sugars down nicely, but I still needed over 50 units of insulin a day to keep my sugars within limits. I did further research and found that 8-12 weeks on this 800 calories shake replacement diet was meant to kick start the body into using the insulin produced by the body better and reduce insulin resistance. I have stopped taking insulin now, but it’s difficult to stick to the diet, I have had a couple of slip ups, but found if I keep to zero carb slip ups it doesn’t effect my sugars. I’m aiming for about 8 weeks on this diet then I will go back to normal diet but trying to keep lower carb. I wanted to transition slowly back to real food but as I’m on holiday straight after this diet I don’t want to be messing about. I still don’t know if I will be able to stay off insulin, the test will be the first month after starting LCHF again.

On the other hand one of my slip ups was pizza, and rather than it taking my sugars up to 30 which was common while taking insulin, without insulin on this 800 calorie diet I only went up to low 9s. Which is encouraging me that it may be making changes to my insulin production and usage already.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive had a lovely birthday today lovely meal with the family now me an tommy having a few scoops
upload_2019-9-8_16-49-51.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same here Saskia.
However we are one of the most surveilled populations in the world.
I doubt many places beat London for camera surveillance.

So it's always one eye out for the cams
But they are sneaky how they do it.

Currently taking all the joy out of driving with an ever expanding average speed limit camera network.

And little black boxes in private cars now as well as on commercial airliners. :(

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive had a lovely birthday today lovely meal with the family now me an tommy having a few scoops
Firstly, happy birthday and sorry I missed the chance to give you good wishes earlier. Glad you had a good birthday, enjoyed your meal and spent it with your family. From your posts that all seems like a perfect day for you.

Reactions: karen8967

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First off Happy Birthday @karen8967 hope you’ve had a wonderful day.
@SaskiaKC I love your international cat day poster, really made me laugh, so true.
Well I survived the Pretty Muddy 5K ! Didn’t run the whole way round but quite a lot of folk were walking too so I didn’t feel too embarrassed. I managed all the obstacles which I wasn’t expecting to be able to do - there were 11 in all including a giant A frame to get over, combat nets to crawl under (The girls did have to haul me out the last couple of feet, I was so muddy and slippery lol) a climbing wall and space hoppers. At all of the obstacles there were Marshalls to encourage us and also pelt us with more mud and cold water hoses. It was exhausting but really really good fun and we raised a big bunch of money for Cancer research so win win. I couldn’t have dreamed about doing anything like this a couple of years ago when I couldn’t even walk round the garden without someone to hold onto. A great day.
I was going to post a photo of us at the end of the race but didn’t want to push @Muddy Cyclist ‘s photo off the top of the page, it’s gorgeous.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC I love your international cat day poster, really made me laugh, so true.
Well I survived the Pretty Muddy 5K ! Didn’t run the whole way round but quite a lot of folk were walking too so I didn’t feel too embarrassed. I managed all the obstacles which I wasn’t expecting to be able to do - there were 11 in all including a giant A frame to get over, combat nets to crawl under (The girls did have to haul me out the last couple of feet, I was so muddy and slippery lol) a climbing wall and space hoppers. At all of the obstacles there were Marshalls to encourage us and also pelt us with more mud and cold water hoses. It was exhausting but really really good fun and we raised a big bunch of money for Cancer research so win win. I couldn’t have dreamed about doing anything like this a couple of years ago when I couldn’t even walk round the garden without someone to hold onto. A great day.
I was going to post a photo of us at the end of the race but didn’t want to push @Muddy Cyclist ‘s photo off the top of the page, it’s gorgeous.

Fantastic effort. @DJC3
Cant wait to see there pics..lol

And Karen hope the day was enjoyable as it sounds... Happy birthday. X

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing effort @DJC3 and sounds like a really fun, if gruelling, way to raise money for the cause.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yay you! Congratulations! I'm glad you enjoyed it. And now you've inspired me to start working from just a walk around the garden to hopefully going greater distances in a year or two. Please do post your pics. :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay you! Congratulations! I'm glad you enjoyed it. And now you've inspired me to start working from just a walk around the garden to hopefully going greater distances in a year or two. Please do post your pics. :)

Way to go Saskia! I know you will do it, you are made of tough stuff. Here is a photo of us at the end. I’m the one in the middle (being propped up!)
2928bedb-e9a1-4dc5-9096-a5004abb5f2d.jpg