Mum in law - border line

Robo42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Appears my mother in law has been told she is border line diabetic, not helping she has already had bad advice by members of the family. We live some distance away & I have been managing my type 2 for over 10 years, diet has been important and has kept me off tablets most of the time. Anyway it would be good to have any advice & suggestions on best way to start, she does not always take advice unless its independent or from doctors so hard to get across over the phone even if I have much experience. Already she is putting homey on everything, toast for breakfast and eats lots of fruit, things I never do. Problem is we don't think a tester is possible to use as she has problem with skin healing. Appreciate views on ways to get on track.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does she hav access to the internet. If so, point her at this forum and tell her to read it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Robo42 It would be a great idea if she could join up here. I also doubt that even with skin healing issues a couple of tests a day on a meter will be an issue, it's literally a tiny hole and doesn't cause tissue damage but she should check with a nurse about using a meter if she has concerns, however there may be a link with her skin healing and high blood glucose levels too, so managing her levels better could help - I am speculating of course but the 2 are linked.

Robo42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replies, totally non techie afraid, over 70 & never used one so would have to pass on info. Worth checking on skin condition using blood tester, as it was the only way I found out what foods affect me. If I had followed a dietitian I would not have been able to keep off drugs.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks for replies, totally non techie afraid, over 70 & never used one so would have to pass on info. Worth checking on skin condition using blood tester, as it was the only way I found out what foods affect me. If I had followed a dietitian I would not have been able to keep off drugs.

How about the people who are giving her questionable advice?

Perhaps they could be pointed at this site to get an idea of what modern T2 management is like.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmmm, difficult! I doubt whether she is going to finger prick a gazillion times a day and weigh out her ingredients carb for carb, not how you've described the lady anyway. I wonder whether you could buy her a book to read that explains about the value of carbs, if she started cutting out the obvious things such as potatoes, pastries, Yorkshire puddings and so on even that might make a difference to her overall levels. It's great for her to go low carb in theory but if she was anything like my Mum, it was traditional all the way, roast dinners followed by apple pie or rice pudding or crumble.....yum. It does sound like she has thought 'right I'll change my diet' but is a little misguided as to how to change it for the better. Not surprising when she is listening to the dieticians & average Dr. x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Appears my mother in law has been told she is border line diabetic, not helping she has already had bad advice by members of the family. We live some distance away & I have been managing my type 2 for over 10 years, diet has been important and has kept me off tablets most of the time. Anyway it would be good to have any advice & suggestions on best way to start, she does not always take advice unless its independent or from doctors so hard to get across over the phone even if I have much experience. Already she is putting homey on everything, toast for breakfast and eats lots of fruit, things I never do. Problem is we don't think a tester is possible to use as she has problem with skin healing. Appreciate views on ways to get on track.
Old school: Buy her a book? (Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code). ;) And in addition to the new-members info sheet you could also print off https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

If she's unable to prick, just err on the side of caution with carbs, as long as she's not on gliclazide or anything.... IF she'll take this advice.