What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just back from doing my presentation. Here is my Facebook post. I really think this could go places, if only at a local level. It felt so positive today. Wasnt as nervous as I expected I would be. Getting into the swing if it ;-) that said bs went up!!!

I was invited by my adelaide street surgery practice manager to speak today at the Central West Primary Care Network Integration Workshop today about the work I am doing with the PPG. It's the coming together of several surgeries in Blackpool in an effort to strengthen the resources to help our community basically. Learn from each other. Brilliant idea. So about 100 would be there from Drs, health care professionals, council representatives from across different areas, fire service, social prescribing reps, PPG members and many more (didn't get to mix with every table as not enough time).

Errrr let me think about that one, talk in front if 100 people you say..... gulp...... YES YES YESSSSS!! If I can do LIVE BREAKFAST TV with Holly and Phil I can do this .10 minutes for my slot as a patient who helps patients and same for Paul Shanahan who is another patient helping others mindfulness and mental health and wellbeing).

Well I did it. My blood sugars are so stable and never spike but today as you can see they went up! For no reason other than stress. (No food had been consumed). Along with my heart rate! Confirmation that stress has a negative impact on the body for sure. God only knows what my blood pressure was!

I wrote myself a script so I wouldn't forget to say the important stuff or over run (I could talk about diabetes til the cows come home).

I hoped I wouldn't get dragged offstage by a shepherds hook by one of the drs as I was encouraging a high fat way of eating, and letting them know that blood glucose monitoring is essential in this battle (its discouraged unless on meds that give you hypos or hypers but is most certainly how I've brought my blood sugars down and reversed my diabetes).

Anyway all good. I lasted to the end. Even did Paul's section (as best I could) as he was sadly stuck on the m6 after an incident caused issues. Coming back from his jolies in Scotland for it too . Paul includes exercises in his classes . I did draw the line there .

A clip attached.

So lots of positive feedback after my slot. People came over for more info.

One lady gave me a hand written note that said simply 'thank you for sharing your story '. How lovely. Felt like saying 'if you have a week I will give you the full run down. '

As always at these events there were cakes to die for, biscuits that looked delicious too and fruit (boring and way too much sugar for me!) So I just had coffee, which actually hit the spot.

Tomorrow I'm off to Manchester for an all day health conference! Oh how my life has changed. Eric's too. He is now my PA!!! his badge actually said that today (he wrote it, cheeky b***er!!!).

Post was as a 100% WINNER for me, but i gave Funny for Erics promotion..
( Top man, kinda thing i would have done...
m1272.gif
)

What a journey you are on.
just SO motivational in your drive and willingness to push yourself beyond your boundaries and comfort Zone..

Fair play..
m1234.gif
m1235.gif

Long May you continue being a living embodiment of the Wisdom of Crowds
And a real life thorn in their side of the reality that THEY are WRONG on SO many levels
in their Wretched treatment of those of us with Type 2.

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Listlad and geefull

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC , @ianpspurs , @gennepher, @Debandez I think I might have fixed it as I have changed back to Type 2 in remission. If I haven't and it still says I am on insulin I will take @Muddy Cyclist and @Bubbsie advice and will email diabetes.co..uk so they can sort it.

Am really tired tonight - had flu jab yesterday and I have a really red and sore arm. It looks quite spectacular.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Errrr let me think about that one, talk in front if 100 people you say..... gulp...... YES YES YESSSSS!! If I can do LIVE BREAKFAST TV with Holly and Phil I can do this .10 minutes for my slot as a patient who helps patients
@Debandez You are doing such good work spreading the word. You are also very brave. To stand up and talk to 100 people or go on national TV is really scary.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...day 4 of minding Frankie & I am flagging a little...he's a dear sweet boy who needs a lot of attention even at 04:40in the morning:banghead::banghead::banghead: I am exhausted...had a coffee & Frankie has gone straight back to sleep snoring his head off now...I think I might go back to bed if he will allow it...maybe if I sneak upstairs very quietly...woke to a 6.6

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
SASKIA...it's FAR too early for christmas cracker jokes..:wideyed:......:hilarious:

How's you, ?

up WAAYY too early as i WANT to sleep.... but my body and mind, just says NO.NO,NO
(why do i hear that in an amy winehouse voice..? )

but am on hols so can go back to bed later if needed..
(that's a big 'YES' ..whispering this, so my body won't catch on ..;):bag: )

6.1 on the meter of mirth.

Battle has commenced for the space vacated by steph moving out.

the bedroom weights bench now sports madames yoga gear...<drums fingers>
i've already lost the battle of the bathroom shelves, this ones a must win..

Cleary outgunned by bathroom items, that madame seems to pull out of thin air.
may even have LOST space..:wideyed: due to my paltry collection of shaving items and deodorant (one.).
Versus her untold salvo of lotions, potions, creams..,it's like the scene from the Matrix with all the Mr Smiths appearing only this times it beauty products.....:***::rolleyes:

(Btw, How many tools CAN there be to pluck or pull hairs from a woman's body :woot:
all clearly marked by the Marquis de sade, me thinks )

so consider myself lucky to still be IN the bathroom at all...
it's NOT a defeat..ok..it's a tactical withdrawal...depleted NOT defeated..yet.

Of to plan todays strategy to counter madames not unexpected expedition to capture the majority of the bedroom space.
i fear it's just the first salvo in a long protracted campaign.
madame is a sneaky and mean opponent, so i best plan carefully and execute with precision if i'm to avail.

Love to all.
hope the day brings much joy.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez You are doing such good work spreading the word. You are also very brave. To stand up and talk to 100 people or go on national TV is really scary.
I really dont know where its come from! But its come. My mum I'm sure, my guiding light xxx
Why did the coffee bean cross the road?

To get to the daily grind.

"I’m learning the hokey cokey. Not all of it. But – I’ve got the ins and outs."

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Meter showed 6.8 this morning which is highest since days 1 and 2 on July 8 and 9 2015. No idea how it relates to food lately, drugs since op, batteries in meter, atmospheric conditions, illness brewing or anything else. It is 1 reading and may not be repeated so no kneejerk reaction. It is, though, a very sudden and extreme manifestation of a 12-14 month deterioration in my body's relationship with LC (backed up by the data) so something like this may have been brewing. Obviously won't fix this in a day or by abandoning LC. I was concerned about fasting levels in mid to high 5s (maybe rightly) so this raises the stakes somewhat. Not after hugs or advice this is just what using my meter, recording data and reflecting on that is all about, IMHO. Bug brewing is obviously most likely explanation. Clues will come in how I feel and resting pulse (fitbit takes a while to update sleeping rate in the mornings but realtime one is high for me) Sorry if TLDR

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3. Probably still stress in my body from yesterday.

Just getting ready to go to Manchester to an x-pert health conference. Educate not Medicate.

Head of DCUK will be there. He has contacted me personally about meeting up for a chat so I'm very excited.

Will keep you posted.

Setting off early. Promised my PA a nice breaky after we have parked up. He is a good un. A keeper for sure!!!

Didn't realise there were 2 x 6 o'clocks in a day!!!! It's very early!!!

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.2 today

up early and out volunteering today in the 'big shed' ;)

Suzie the little dog was a bit better during the day yesterday, she accepted some chicken at lunchtime, went for a couple of short walks and drank plenty of water, she then had another small meal at teatime :) We put her back to mum's during the evening so she could sleep in her own bed and mum could see she was a bit better. We'll call in and visit them on the way back from our volunteering :)

Hope your day treats you well :)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.2 today

up early and out volunteering today in the 'big shed' ;)

Suzie the little dog was a bit better during the day yesterday, she accepted some chicken at lunchtime, went for a couple of short walks and drank plenty of water, she then had another small meal at teatime :) We put her back to mum's during the evening so she could sleep in her own bed and mum could see she was a bit better. We'll call in and visit them on the way back from our volunteering :)

Hope your day treats you well :)
So pleased the little dog is well - or at least a little bit better.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
SASKIA...it's FAR too early for christmas cracker jokes..:wideyed:......:hilarious:

How's you, ?

up WAAYY too early as i WANT to sleep.... but my body and mind, just says NO.NO,NO
(why do i hear that in an amy winehouse voice..? )

but am on hols so can go back to bed later if needed..
(that's a big 'YES' ..whispering this, so my body won't catch on ..;):bag: )

6.1 on the meter of mirth.

Battle has commenced for the space vacated by steph moving out.

the bedroom weights bench now sports madames yoga gear...<drums fingers>
i've already lost the battle of the bathroom shelves, this ones a must win..

Cleary outgunned by bathroom items, that madame seems to pull out of thin air.
may even have LOST space..:wideyed: due to my paltry collection of shaving items and deodorant (one.).
Versus her untold salvo of lotions, potions, creams..,it's like the scene from the Matrix with all the Mr Smiths appearing only this times it beauty products.....:***::rolleyes:

(Btw, How many tools CAN there be to pluck or pull hairs from a woman's body :woot:
all clearly marked by the Marquis de sade, me thinks )

so consider myself lucky to still be IN the bathroom at all...
it's NOT a defeat..ok..it's a tactical withdrawal...depleted NOT defeated..yet.

Of to plan todays strategy to counter madames not unexpected expedition to capture the majority of the bedroom space.
i fear it's just the first salvo in a long protracted campaign.
madame is a sneaky and mean opponent, so i best plan carefully and execute with precision if i'm to avail.

Love to all.
hope the day brings much joy.
Unquestionably this is a battle you will loose my friend. Any one taking bets.:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
3.8 for me 2 jelly babies and rising having breakfast soon so all good have a good day everyone
Love how you are so upbeat despite the rocky start. Virtual hug given for that early low but winner for the attitude. Hope the rest of the day goes well for you.

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning a bit late and a 5.8 after a low carb day yesterday, a good evening walk to pub for a glass of red wine and a 14 hour fast. The mystery of LC and BG continues.

I will try another long Mountain Bike ride today and see if it works it's magic.

A lovely sunny day here to lift ones spirits.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.1

I had a breakfast out yesterday with a friend. The rest of the menu was appalling for me doing low carb. So I chose a breakfast, but 2/3 of the plate was all high carb stuff so therefore inedible for me. But there was not going to be enough food for me (I’d had nothing to eat earlier). So, I decided to go for a larger breakfast (and waste even more carbohydrate food on the plate but at least I was going to get enough food).

This place has made it clear before that they will allow no substitutions of food on the plate and it is printed in capitals all over the menu.

My friend has an anathema for paying for something you cannot or don’t want to eat.

So she went to the counter to order. It was quite a way from me so I couldn’t lipread what she was doing. But it was a longer interaction than just a food order.

I am dying to know what she is up to. There was laughing going on between her and the lady behind the counter, and pointing in my direction. What on Earth was she up to?

She came back laughing! She showed me the menu and showed me the extras for breakfast. She had ordered my breakfast just from the extras, and made up a breakfast from all the items she knew I could eat. Apparently that was quite acceptable.

So, it meant I paid a £1 more than the regular breakfast, yet £2 less than the large breakfast. And best of all every item on that plate I could eat and really enjoy. You know, without the baked beans touching the food you can eat for low carb, because possibly most of us are tempted and have one baked bean and then there are no baked beans left on the plate, and afterwards the breakfast is spoilt because of that.

So that was amazing what she negotiated, and she did it with laughter and banter between her and the counter lady. I could see that visually. But with being deaf and too far away, I don’t know exactly what was said.

So that was brilliant!

By the way she gets me to do her negotiations for her, beating someone down in price for something etc. I love this kind of interaction and battle that she doesn’t like doing for herself. I have no emotional investment in the outcome for that item, but I do love winning. And I win every time for something like this for another person! Defeat is never an option for me. So it never happens :)

So we can all help each other!

Reactions: karen8967

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning (again)...was up super early at 04;40 with dear little Frankie...let him out & fed him...I was shattered meanwhile he went right back to sleep snored his head off...if you can't beat them whaddaya do...yes the old cliché you join them...went back to bed & just got up...ooh I needed that couple of hours...my second FBG today 6.4

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So she went to the counter to order. It was quite a way from me so I couldn’t lipread what she was doing
That's so good of her gennepher wish there were more like that...a little understanding goes a long way.

Reactions: dunelm