Type 2s: How long did it take to get HbA1C below 42

James2

i was diagnosed in august 2016 my HbA1c was 92 , i have gone down the route of moderate carbs ,more exercise mainly walking, i have had blood tests every 6 months and the last few have been in the low 40's and so in to remission but today for the first time i gone below 40 and scored 39.
i do blood tests and there are usual 6.5 to 7.5 mmol , i do get an occasional morning blip of 8 to 8.5 mmol .
over the this time period my weight has come down by 2 stone
i think it is a personal journey and working out what works for you, i cant say i dont eat certain food groups because i do but on average i try moderation with the odd i am having that bounty bar moment.
i have to say i would be lost without this forum and everyone wisdom so freely shared, i find it more helpful and informative than any health professional.

Blueshirtboy

HbA1c 65 in June 2019, 10 weeks LCHF diet, occasional fasting, walking 20 miles a week, lost 16lbs weight, resulted in retested HbA1c of 42 in August. Current meds 2x 500 Metformin in morning, 1x 500 in evening. PN advised to have further HbA1c in three months when she will review meds if results similar or better.

mtc2300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c in week 42 2018 on 50. Four weeks later down to 46 with lchf and metformin.

Reactions: Prem51

Gryph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Initial HbA1c 74, 3 month blood test later (longer to get the results): 32.

Followed LCHF (no other change, stopped exercise to control BG via diet first), approx 20 to 50g carbs a day, sometimes up to 75g at the weekends, with much experimenting to see what worked best. 1000s of data points collected from finger prick tests to see what did and didn't work. No meds.

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
My last test showed HbA1C 44 in beginning of August. I'm hoping that it has dropped even more in the meantime. I have a medichecks test at home that I intend to do and send off one of these days. Fingers crossed I've been eating low enough carb to lower the result even further.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
106 at diagnosis 6 years ago, 78 3 months later, 37 at 6 months later and has stayed at this level. LC, calorie-deficient diet for 6 months, 2000 mg metformin a day, lots more walking and swimming. Lost 3 stone, gained 1 stone.
Now weight and blood glucose stable on LCHF, exercise, 500mg Metformin per day. HbA1c in non-diabetic range, BMI hovers on overweight/obese, much fitter, can do long distance walking averaging 12 miles per day. Fitter, healthier and happier and I eat a lot!

Reactions: Anniya84 and mojo37

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
106 at diagnosis 6 years ago, 78 3 months later, 37 at 6 months later and has stayed at this level. LC, calorie-deficient diet for 6 months, 2000 mg metformin a day, lots more walking and swimming. Lost 3 stone, gained 1 stone.
Now weight and blood glucose stable on LCHF, exercise, 500mg Metformin per day. HbA1c in non-diabetic range, BMI hovers on overweight/obese, much fitter, can do long distance walking averaging 12 miles per day. Fitter, healthier and happier and I eat a lot!
wow 12 miles a day that is no mean feat :)

Reactions: Flamingo74
D

Deleted member 308541

[Type 2s: How long did it take to get HbA1C below 42

It took me less than three month to below 42 mmol/mol, I went from 56.8 to 36.

I have since held my hba1c in the low thirties by eating lchf and no back sliding of eating so called treats.

bXkGdsh.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed with a 53avg over 2 tests, down to 39 after 6 months, no cheating. Consisted of 8 weeks of low cal eating then migrated to low carb. Personally had better results with low carb eating than low cal. But everyone is different.

TheThorne

3 months. I cut out chocolate and snacks to 1 a day, I walked more and had smaller helpings and I had lost nearly a stone by my 3 month test which was 37 dropped from 50. In the year since I have had a 32 and today I am 36.

I have lost over 2 stone and just 3 lbs from my target weight which is just within normal BMI.

I do not call myself controlled as such as I am not cutting out carbs just trying to have less sugary snacks and smaller helpings and losing weight and that did it.

Kizza

I’m dissapointed as my hb1ac has gone down only by 2. My first hb1ac was 54 and 3 months later it’s 52. I have cut down on sugars, carbs and lost 8kg weight.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An old thread but a good one.

106 to 41 in three months. 30 at the 6 month mark. Low to mid-30s since then (almost 2 years in total). Lost 45 pounds and maintain a BMI of 22.

Diet is moderate carb, basically a Mediterranean vegetarian diet - lots of vegetables and legumes, nuts/seeds, some fruit and whole grains.

Edited to add: I was on 2 meds at first - Jardiance for 5 weeks, Metformin 1 x 500mg for 3 months.

cpraj

I was initially diagnosed with the HBA1c of 8.6 %(71mmol/mol) in June2019. But soon when i started walking after my afternoon meal and cutting down on my sugars and carbs my recent HBA1c test in October2019 showed 6.3% (45mmol/mol).

My Fasting Blood sugar came down from 9.8 (on initial diagnosed) to 5.5.

I didnt do Intermittent fasting, but regular walks in the afternoon after meal, and avoid sitting down after having evening meals.

So yes my friends, its do-able.

Reactions: Paulm80

colpaxclarke

When I was diagnosed I was at 11.8% Then 3 months later I was 9.2% Then 3 months after that I was 5.5%. So around 6 months. I think that's good??

Reactions: DJC3

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So much emphasis is put on weightloss to improve diabetes results - I am sure that it is posted about almost daily - the carrot on the stick rather than taking the brake off the cart.

Reactions: DJC3

Albee7740

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It took me 3 months to go from a HbA1c of 81 at the very end of June to a HbA1c of 40 in October but I have been helped by taking insulin so not sure if it counts .......

Flamingo74

April 2019 - Hba1c 106 500mg metformin

July 2019 - Hba1c 43 still on metformin and lost 2 stone

October 2019 - Hba1c 38 still on metformin and total weight loss 2.5 stone

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogance, awkward people
At diagnosis:

May 19, 51/6.8%

Low carb diet, no cake or biscuits, no sugar in coffee, more exercise, no meds, lost 10kg,.....

July 19 , 41/5.9%

Kept exercising, a little more weight loss, wasted a day at DESMOND (LOL) still no meds.....

Oct 19, 36/5.4%

Happy at that. The diet can be a struggle at times as I am not a veggie lover, but my supportive wife helps so much with her cooking. Funny how my taste has changed too - for my treat 90% chocolate (1 square) does for me, previously I could not have thought of eating something so bitter.

Amy1978

Hi could u elaborate with exercises and type of meals u ate? Newly diagnosed with hbac1 58 :/

It took 3 months to get from 88 to 32.

I didn't over complicate or over think. I just stopped eating all obvious Carbs.

I didn't test much, I have never used 50 strips in a month.

I didn't waste time experimenting or trying to find substitutes for Carby foods. I did try Lidl rolls for a bit, but soon realised they are disgusting and nothing like real bread and it felt like you had a brick in your stomach after eating just 1/2. I don't really like Cauli Rice either so don't bother anymore, roasted and spiced Cauli is much nicer with a Curry anyway..

I love my diet, and can't imagine why I ever thought Potatoes, Rice, Bread or Pasta were necessary.

I certainly don't miss feeling slow and lethargic and sleepy after a meal.

P.S. I am lucky that HID is an excellent and imaginative cook and loves our new way of eating as much as me.

Reactions: littlebrownbird