Carbs and Rice - cooked or uncooked weight?

DaveH2

Thanks for the tag @Mr_Pot, here’s the picture of my Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago, total carb count for the main and dessert was around 15g carbs. (Gravy was meat juices thickened with milled flax seed and the dessert was a Hartleys sugar free jelly with cream and a sprinkling of low carb chocolate granola)View attachment 36098

Yup :) I'm going to my mum's for sunder dinner this week :) I'm allowing myself the treat on one roast potato! Can't wait :)

Edit: Sunday dinner!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup :) I'm going to my mum's for sunder dinner this week :) I'm allowing myself the treat on one roast potato! Can't wait :)

Edit: Sunday dinner!

Make sure you test out a Sunday lunch when you’ve got your meter. I’ve tested and know that I can tolerate one 20g roast potato, but no more!

Reactions: DaveH2

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm. Christmas day for me, the only day I eat roasties!

When I was diagnosed, cottage/sheperds pie were given a topping of celeriac instead of mashed spuds. If you google keto cauliflower, you will get all sorts of ideas where this can be used.

Pizza? Google Fat Head Dough. Indian? Google headbangerskitchen. Anything you fancy, google, just put keto first.

DaveH2

Hmm. Christmas day for me, the only day I eat roasties!

When I was diagnosed, cottage/sheperds pie were given a topping of celeriac instead of mashed spuds. If you google keto cauliflower, you will get all sorts of ideas where this can be used.

Pizza? Google Fat Head Dough. Indian? Google headbangerskitchen. Anything you fancy, google, just put keto first.

I've never taken any notice whatever of nutritional info on food before, but I'm learning fast!

I really can't stand celariac! However, I may very well have a go at cauliflower mash :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really can't stand celariac!

After a couple of meals, husband is fully converted. Boiled and roughly mashed, then put into a hot oven to crisp, yum!

Cauliflower is surprisingly vertisile. If you can get a decent one these days.

If you like cauliflower cheese, boil the cauli as normal. Heat up the oven so it is blistering. Chuck cauli into a baking dish.

I use onion very sparingly. Fry a little off. You can also add leeks, broccoli, mushrooms etc for variation. If you like pancetta, dry fry. Add to the oil, double cream, finely grated parmesan to thicken. Grate cheese of your choice, pour over cauli. Pour over the cream/parmesan. Top with freshly ground cracked black pepper and or paprika for colour. Chuck in oven until crispy and golden.

DaveH2

After a couple of meals, husband is fully converted. Boiled and roughly mashed, then put into a hot oven to crisp, yum!

If you like cauliflower cheese, boil the cauli as normal. Heat up the oven so it is blistering. Chuck cauli into a baking dish.

I use onion very sparingly. Fry a little off. You can also add leeks, broccoli, mushrooms etc for variation. If you like pancetta, dry fry. Add to the oil, double cream, finely grated parmesan to thicken. Grate cheese of your choice, pour over cauli. Pour over the cream/parmesan. Top with freshly ground cracked black pepper and or paprika for colour. Chuck in oven until crispy and golden.

Cauliflower as a pasta substitute - is there anything this wonder-veg can't do? :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Gosh, I can feel my heart rate rising with that recipe. Sounds delicious. x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauliflower as a pasta substitute - is there anything this wonder-veg can't do? :)
But wait, there's more!
There's a bunch of substitutes out there. Cauliflower rice is a gift from the heavens, but so is broccoli rice. There's konjac/shiritaki noodles which don't taste like anything so you can do anything you like to them, and they'll taste like whatever you flavour them with. And courgetti (spiralised courgette) isn't bad at all either, I like mine with some pesto and ground beef. Pumpkin is a wee bit too carby for my keto-preferences, but that could be an option for you. And if you want to bulk up a salad, avocado does well in those, will fill you right up. I still haven't tried chaffles yet, but I'm only just getting used to making keto mug bread, and I hate digging out the waffle maker, haha. If there's a dish you miss, try googling it with keto added in the search bar. You'll get a whole lot of diabetes-friendly alternatives that way.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oooh, just googled chaffles and ordered a waffle maker.

Syd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am about to start cooking, but I have no idea how carbohydrates are measured in rice!

I have a limit of 100g of carbs per day.

The packet says 100g of rice contains 78g of carbohydrates. This falls within my daily limit, so all good there!

However, I can't find any info anywhere on whether the 100g of rice is its dry, uncooked weight or the weight after it has been cooked?

If it is dry, then that's easy enough - just weigh 100g of rice and then cook it. If it is the cooked weight, then how much dry rice produces 100g of cooked rice?

Having just recently being diagnosed, there is sooooooo much I have to learn!

Hi @DaveH2

A similar question was asked some years ago on this forum https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carb-difference-between-cooked-and-uncooked-rice.30449/

It would seem that boiled rice will loose carbs in the cooking process as starch is washed away, whereas steamed or microwaved will not, or at least not to the same extent.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @Mr_Pot, here’s the picture of my Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago, total carb count for the main and dessert was around 15g carbs. (Gravy was meat juices thickened with milled flax seed and the dessert was a Hartleys sugar free jelly with cream and a sprinkling of low carb chocolate granola)View attachment 36098

That looks similar to my Sunday dinner if you swap the chicken for a chicken breast (no skin for me) and add one more small roastie, but no dessert. I am always too stuffed for afters.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate cleaning my waffle maker and Chaffles keep sticking so today i threw the mix in the frying pan shaped it into rectangles and squashed it down to waffle size, then flipped it. Obviously not quite the same but much quicker and easier to clean.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate cleaning my waffle maker and Chaffles keep sticking so today i threw the mix in the frying pan shaped it into rectangles and squashed it down to waffle size, then flipped it. Obviously not quite the same but much quicker and easier to clean.
And much easier to try without having to buy a waffle maker.

Reactions: DJC3

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
We had New Orleans style jambalaya tonight made with cauliflower rice , chicken and sausage and prawns as could not get shrimp all with Cajun spice and some additional veg a bit carby for me at about 12 grams of carbs per portion but tasted quite nice.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for idea @HSSS
@DJC3 this maybe an idea for you as you fancy chaffles but don’t have room in your kitchen for another bit of equipment.
I made chaffles in new non stick waffle maker for first time today, using some oil, but didn’t stick so quite easy just to wipe it.

Reactions: DJC3

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just bought a 3 in 1 from ALDI yesterday. £15.99. Removable plates for soaking. A game changer.

Kids can do their sealed toasties and hubby a panini. Winners all round. Saying that I made them waffles (not Chaffles) and they all said much nicer than bought as bought ones are too sweet!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for idea @HSSS
@DJC3 this maybe an idea for you as you fancy chaffles but don’t have room in your kitchen for another bit of equipment.
I made chaffles in new non stick waffle maker for first time today, using some oil, but didn’t stick so quite easy just to wipe it.

Great idea I was wondering if that’d work when I originally looked at your link. Thanks for the tag