What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think Sting has a dog --

71498030_178171763348649_9020082623325667328_n.jpg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak sorry for the difficult journey yesterday such is London I guess but good result so all not lost. Btw jj loved the pic of Marley in front of your fridge...that face says it all, what a character!

yeah, normally it is poor, but that day was just exasperatingly bad.

and yep, he is indeed a rascal.

currently here again 4th night running
been fed and pampered by us both
as of this moment lauren asleep ,marly sprawled across her chest snoring...ahh bless.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 5.6 at silly o’clock

My fbs is going down!!!!!

I am getting a few 5’s during day and night now!!!

But to get here for me, appears to be very low carb. I am talking of under 10 carbs a day or under 5 carbs a day. And an occasional day with up to possibly 20 carbs a day, but these days are reserved for when I eat out.

Also at the moment I am sort of alternating my days with a tiny snack the moment I awake and (its nearly 4 am now so a tiny snack and black coffee) about 6 to 8 hours later my main meal (eg midday), and then a very tiny snack about 4pm (4 hours later). Or, I have a tiny snack on waking with black coffee (this is what I did yesterday), I had my meal around 1pm yesterday, and then a 2nd meal around 5 pm when I got home. (However, I find it too much to eat 2 meals every day, so sort of alternating every other day with more food on one day, and less on the next day works for me at the moment.)

It seems to be important for me, to have something tiny to eat the moment I wake up or else my blood sugar rises and keeps on rising after I awake. The other thing is a good length of time of no food not even a snack or a bite in between eating. And the final thing appears to be, in order to get in the 5’s in the night is having some food (my final meal, whether tiny or larger) around 4 to 5 pm. Obviously this depends on my day or what I am doing that day. But if I eat any later than that my blood sugar rises during the night.

All this experimentation (if you like to call it that) is only possible by extensive blood sugar testing during the day and night. Since I self-fund my own glucose meter and strips and lancets, it is expensive. But it is vitally necessary in order for me to get this diabetes type2 under some form of control.

Sorry about the long post this morning, but it’s where I am at this moment. However, it could be in a few weeks time my daily eating routine might be a bit different. What will probably never change is the very low carb way of eating.

Thank you for reading, if you have got this far, and have a good day.

There is a storm blowing outside with my bushes and trees having fencing matches with each other, so take care if you are going out today.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 for me today when I finally gave in and took a reading around 4.00 am. @gennepher amazing progress with bg control - except all the effort and dedication you have shown makes it less amazing and more justice. Good on you for having a well founded plan and executing that plan.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Been awake since 0325 and finally gave into my overactive chimp and got out of my cozy nest.

The wonder wheel of dark o’clock rising to the drum beats of rain by the kitchen velux ensemble registered a 5.3 just now - a bit higher than the 4.6 when I first awoke.

Interesting observations @gennepher. I do eat to my meter and find that if my fasting reading is a bit high then a small snack of something like a bit of cheese helps to calm it down. I usually don’t eat though until about 12 noon and later if I’m not hungry. Dinner is best for me at about 1800 and maybe then a couple of home made flax crackers with cheese spread later on if I get peckish.
It is eating to my meter that persuaded me to go with the libre system - I too am self funding and although the libre system is quite expensive I do think, for me, it works very well.

Have a great day if you can, koffy calls - how decadent.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning folks, a 5.7 for me on the dodgy dice of doom, my meter gave me an E-9 error reading at first so I took the batteries out and performed a Tommy Cooper manoeuvre on them and put them back in and it worked again, just like that.

In other more important news...It's Friday, hoorah.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher you have come such a long way since you first found your way to this thread, it's good to see that you are finding what is right for you to control your T2.

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Been awake since 0325 and finally gave into my overactive chimp and got out of my cozy nest.

The wonder wheel of dark o’clock rising to the drum beats of rain by the kitchen velux ensemble registered a 5.3 just now - a bit higher than the 4.6 when I first awoke.

Interesting observations @gennepher. I do eat to my meter and find that if my fasting reading is a bit high then a small snack of something like a bit of cheese helps to calm it down. I usually don’t eat though until about 12 noon and later if I’m not hungry. Dinner is best for me at about 1800 and maybe then a couple of home made flax crackers with cheese spread later on if I get peckish.
It is eating to my meter that persuaded me to go with the libre system - I too am self funding and although the libre system is quite expensive I do think, for me, it works very well.

Have a great day if you can, koffy calls - how decadent.
The CGM and eating to the meter way baffles me slightly what with me being rather dim but I am very interested in buying and using one. Are you saying the Libre helps with Rumsfeld's infamous known unknowns? How does one deal with the smart meter problem - the times when the meter shows what is happening but there is no practical solution? You have made me think hard about just what I would be prepared to eat for tighter control. If a Libre suggested, for example, cream in tea or more red meat would somehow give better control I would have a dilemma- really not sure how I would deal with evidence that wine would help . Thanks for making me reflect on some problems should I go down the Libre route.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning to the early crowd followed by good morning to one and all. A 5.5 for me today and another short nights sleep before a busy day.
@gennepher I admire your tenacity and thank you for such interesting observations. Well done on achieving a better understanding on how to control this awful Type2, brilliant.@ianpspurs and @dunelm hugs and empathy for the lack of sleep.

I am still learning such a lot and still baffled by much of what my pet Dracula tells me. At the moment I find long fasts raise my readings but like @dunelm and I suspect others a snack on cheese or nuts before sleep helps to lower them. Too much protein can raise them significantly. I have not yet been brave enough to try pastry, pasta, chips, crumble puddings, oh for a Rhubarb Crumble or bread and butter pudding, and bread in any amount spikes me. Of course I have no idea what goes on between readings, would like a Libra Sytem but am not sure I can stretch my finances to self funding without curtailing other pleasures of living but it may be the only way forward, we shall see.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From your experience how do you think the patches would hold up to my Mountain Biking Activity? I do this activity in an aerobic manner, throwing myself down rocky trails, jumps and all quite quickly so a lot of twisting and turning of upper body and core and of course perspiring heavily and getting very muddy and wet at this time of year.

I have looked at them seriously and thought I would probably average using 2.5 patches a month and its that expense that is holding me back, any advise from your experience and anyone else's much appreciated.

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
From your experience how do you think the patches would hold up to my Mountain Biking Activity? I do this activity in an aerobic manner, throwing myself down rocky trails, jumps and all quite quickly so a lot of twisting and turning of upper body and core and of course perspiring heavily and getting very muddy and wet at this time of year.

I have looked at them seriously and thought I would probably average using 2.5 patches a month and its that expense that is holding me back, any advise from your experience and anyone else's much appreciated.
Just done the maths on your weight loss since April - amazing. In light of that and the fall in A1c might it be prudent to see how say 2 more A1cs work out for you? Seems to me all your work so far is highly likely to be reflected in those numbers at which stage Libre could be reconsidered.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just done the maths on your weight loss since April - amazing. In light of that and the fall in A1c might it be prudent to see how say 2 more A1cs work out for you? Seems to me all your work so far is highly likely to be reflected in those numbers at which stage Libre could be reconsidered.
That sounds a good plan, thank you I had not considered that as an option.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems to be important for me, to have something tiny to eat the moment I wake up or else my blood sugar rises and keeps on rising after I awake. The other thing is a good length of time of no food not even a snack or a bite in between eating. And the final thing appears to be, in order to get in the 5’s in the night is having some food (my final meal, whether tiny or larger) around 4 to 5 pm. Obviously this depends on my day or what I am doing that day. But if I eat any later than that my blood sugar rises during the night.

All this experimentation (if you like to call it that) is only possible by extensive blood sugar testing during the day and night. Since I self-fund my own glucose meter and strips and lancets, it is expensive. But it is vitally necessary in order for me to get this diabetes type2 under some form of control.
You are doing brilliantly. The testing is the only way we can find out what really works for us - as you have so clearly shown by getting your numbers down into the 5s during the night. It is a huge achievement as your numbers were so high before.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still learning such a lot and still baffled by much of what my pet Dracula tells me. At the moment I find long fasts raise my readings
Very interesting - I have found exactly the same. 15 hours works really well but anything over that results in higher numbers all day.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning - so staying low. Husband took doggies out in the rain this morning so I could have a leisurely shower and drink my coffee in the warn before we go shopping to Aldi for 8am. So really being spoilt today.

Last night was, hopefully, the last night of the roadworks detour - which makes me really happy.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...another full nights sleep I'm being spoilt now...its been an exhausting week when I haven't been out working I've been on standby...hoping to get some paperwork done today fingers crossed then my favourite part some invoices...a leisurely coffee while I contemplate my various aches & pains (old age)...woke to a 6.2

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After 15 hours of sleep (yes, you read that correctly) I have returned from the land of Hypnos with a gift of 5.4.

I was so exhausted with the coughing and breathing that I went to bed with two hot water bottles and a glass of Talisker. Woke up twice for a loo call but all in all it was a result. Running a high temp at the moment and about to go cook scrambled egg, enjoy the day :)

Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The CGM and eating to the meter way baffles me slightly what with me being rather dim but I am very interested in buying and using one. Are you saying the Libre helps with Rumsfeld's infamous known unknowns? How does one deal with the smart meter problem - the times when the meter shows what is happening but there is no practical solution? You have made me think hard about just what I would be prepared to eat for tighter control. If a Libre suggested, for example, cream in tea or more red meat would somehow give better control I would have a dilemma- really not sure how I would deal with evidence that wine would help . Thanks for making me reflect on some problems should I go down the Libre route.

Hm. We certainly know that there are some things that we do not know but at the same time we need to think about what we do know - lot’s of people do not know what they know. We do have to think about what we are thinking about.
I know that if I eat too much protein then I may as well be eating carbs - it’s like eating the contents of a tin of sweet corn - just cut the corner and chuck the contents down the loo. I also know that I have a reading of say 4.3 then I can eat a bit more than if it reads 5.1.
The beauty of the Libre is that you get a graph of eight hours previous to your reading and that graph enables me to extrapolate, in some small way, to what will happen if I choose wrongly (ingredients and portion size).
If there is no practical solution - i.e. if I get a nasty upward trend then I fall back on what worked the last time - usually a bit of cheese or a few nuts and fluids - plain water or lots of tea and then walk.