1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by OldButBold, Apr 24, 2019.

1. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you found her and that she replied when you called! The KittenCat rarely replied when she got shut up in a closet in our house -- maybe because it was my fault for accidentally shutting her in! I'm glad Bobs is OK.
    Thank you -- I am much less achy now. The shoulder pain went away as abruptly as it came, saving me a trip to the doctor about it. Now I can wait 'til my regular A1C appointment later this month.
    It's wonderful how life suddenly seems better and more worthwhile when I feel good and am not worried about what's causing what discomfort.

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SaskiaKC

Hug for honoring their wishes, and for your loss. [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  3. SaskiaKC

I just read something on the NHS website that makes a lot of sense to me.

The chickenpox vaccine is not part of the routine UK childhood vaccination programme because chickenpox is usually a mild illness, particularly in children. There's also a worry that introducing chickenpox vaccination for all children could increase the risk of chickenpox and shingles in adults.

The second sentence really got to me. The chickenpox vaccine has been around over here for around 30 years now ... and in recent years there has been a lot of TV marketing of a shingles vaccine, with big scare tactics -- "If you had chicken pox the shingles virus is already inside you [and you are doomed]."

So just now I read the above, and conclude that if all these people hadn't been given the chickenpox vaccination as children they might not "need" get the shingles vaccination that is being pushed on them as adults. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr .....................

The NHS sounds MUCH more sensible to me. When I was a child chickenpox was considered a "mild" routine illness, something kids just got, and got over.

Sigh. Vent over. Sorry. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......................

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  4. dogslife

dogslife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

T
    Thank you PM. It was a very respectful, dignified service. Next step is to have aunty's name and details added to the headstone. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
  5. dogslife

Thank you, jjraak. It was a dignified service and felt right if you know what I mean. It won't feel complete until I've had aunty's name etc added to my grandparent's headstone. Then, hopefully, I'll have honoured theirs, my mum's and my other deceased aunty's expectations and wishes as well as possible under the circumstances.:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Hug Hug x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. dogslife

Thank you, SaskiaKC. It was a short service but carried out with dignity and respect. :)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  7. trick60

trick60 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Good morning folks, 5.4 on the dice, have a lovely day all.

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  8. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fbg 6.9

BBC weather app tells me it is Wednesday all over again. I swiped it off the screen. And went in again to open it up, and it is still giving me the whole of Wednesday...maybe I dreamt yesterday and it didn’t happen. Do you think if I turn up to meet my friend for lunch again she will turn up too....

I think I’ll go back to sleep....might be safest...

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OldButBold

OldButBold Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6.3 this morning, feeling sorry for myself and rougher than... well, rough things. Moved into the 'wet' phase of proper flu which is naff as I just had the flu jab. Aches and pains along with an inability to walk more than a few yards makes for a fun time. Her ladyship still requires me to drive her so no rest there. Does all that sound wretched enough? Excellent :)

• Hug Hug x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Hard to consistently strike the right tone reading this morning's posts. @OldButBold fantastic humour in adversity but hug for the flu; @dogslife hug for your loss and dilemma but admiration for striving to fulfil the wishes of the departed; @gennepher throughly bizarre experience so bed sounds like a plan; @trick60 more good morning readings and thanks for the wishes for a good day; @SaskiaKC glad the shoulder pain has gone and your world is wearing a happier visage.

• Friendly Friendly x 8
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #10410 ianpspurs, Oct 10, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  11. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

4.7 for me have a good day everyone

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 7
  12. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Part the 2nd in which the reader learns of my fbg, a bizarre encounter with my (female) GP but not how to remove crustaceans from one's patella ( that comes in the premium edition). Fbg 5.9 after <10 gms carb and around 1400 cals - definitely not dilly, dilly. The GP bade me lie down and disrobe somewhat. She took a while to admire the honourable member for fenland then suggested I take a photo of said appendage. I replied that winsome as she was and me being aware how C21st mores diverged from my salad days I still felt disinclined to accept the invitation - perhaps another chap may be more sporting. The bg?
    Neither seek what is too difficult for you,
    nor investigate what is beyond your power.
    Reflect upon what you have been commanded,
    for what is hidden is not your concern.
    Do not meddle in matters that are beyond you,
    for more than you can understand has been shown to you.
    For their conceit has led many astray,
    and wrong opinion has impaired their judgement.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Muddy Cyclist

Muddy Cyclist Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good Morning and a 6 for me after a broken nights sleep, just 2.5 hours shuteye. Very busy three days ahead so really needed more @gennepher I could do with your BBC experience actually happening.
    @OldButBold you certainly do sound wretched enough, keep warm, rested and hydrated and get better soon.

Lots to do and the sun Is shining BUT no time for Mountain Biking until next week.

• Like Like x 6
    • Hug Hug x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone. Another day shared in the Bhavachakra.

The wonder wheel of a thrice round walking tour of town and then not falling asleep at the PPG meeting gave a rare and bejewelled 4.5 this am.

I can’t focus on very much today as I have a bizarre picture of a production of Antony and Cleopatra which takes place in a GP surgery. Must be something that I read, it chills the blood.

Have a great day if you can, if your body aches, then you are indeed alive.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

4.7 this morning. Yesterday 7.8 two hours after breakfast followed by a sharp drop to 4.0. Didn't even get to 5 after lunch. So interesting readings at the moment. Am relaxing with a coffee after an early doggie walk. A bit chilly hear in East Anglia.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 5
  16. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I did briefly think what mistakes did I make on the first Wednesday that I could correct for the repeat Wednesday...

• Funny Funny x 9
  17. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning All. 7.1 after another bad sleep though only tested at 0800. Ate little yesterday defo sub 20g carbs including milk in coffee to get me through. Cant claim to be anywhere near as bad as @OldButBold who I am now worrying about. Please take great care. @ianpspurs difficult to comment on your consulting room drama defo got your 10 mins worth there!
    My plan for today is nothing. Have a great Thursday everyone. Stay well, get better, stay safe.

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Krystyna23040

So sorry that it turned out to be the flu - especially as you had the flu jab. Hope you recover really quickly.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Krystyna23040

that's good news that if you do need further treatment it will be cream and not further surgery.

Definitely drying out here after the flooding. Hoping that it isn't raining Sunday as we want to go to Sheringham Park to see the trees beginning to turn into their Autumnal colours. At the moment the Met office app says no rain all day and the BBC app says rain all day.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. OldButBold

OldButBold Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you PM (and all others), one of the joys of living alone is that you can wallow in your misery (occasionally), which is what I am doing right now. No one around to tell me I have a cold and not the mystic man-flu ;) Not much I can do about it, virus will work itself out over time.

Here's me, wallowing...

wallow.jpg :)

• Hug Hug x 8
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook