What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Morning and it's Part Day 70 this very day and greeted with a 5.3 by my pet Dracula.

Our homes had its Autumn Spring Clean, if one can use both seasons to describe the whirlwind of cleaning done by Mrs MC and myself? The house is full of wonderful cooking smells and we can relax before our joyous party goers arrive. Not sure how it will go, with limited space in our home I had to whittle down the hundreds I wanted to ask to 24. I decided to invite someone from each of my interest groups, folk players, classical musicians, Morris men, Choir Members, Mountain Bikers, Horse Whisperers, Motor Sport, Artists and photographers, it will either be very disastrous or brilliant. Of course I have asked musicians to bring instruments, photographers cameras and artists sketch pads, I told the Horse Whisperer to leave his horses at home, I had to draw a line somewhere however he can knock out a good tune on a guitar so he's in good company. I am leaving percussion, Cajon and such around the home and some guitars, mandolins, fiddles, banjos about in case some forget theirs. I have no idea how it will go, wish me luck.

Hugs to @OldButBold and @PenguinMum i will save you some birthday cake. Take care.

@gennepher just what I need here a day with sunshine so we can spill into the garden, fingers crossed.

Have a great day one and all, those who are under the weather go carefully and stay comfortable as you are able.
Happy birthday x

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Early doors as i've missed a few mornings lately.

BG trending up, 6.0thu 6.2 fri .. 6.4 this am..
doing a few bits around the house, so while working hard
i'm not working out, so to speak...is it that lack of proper exercise ?
who knows.the vagaries of T2..

Madam off to cousins last night, so consoled myself with a 4 pack of beer.
all to easy to persuade oneself, for 'One more for the Road' ...even when there is NO road..:rolleyes:;)

Major hugs (but Kudos) for @OldButBold ..sorry your off colour still, hope the docs provides some comfort and advise.
but liking the 'Diary' style..and Miss daisy making THAT comment....hilarious..got to love her.
Take care, get better soonest.:)

And Oh, Poor @PenguinMum , really has been a turbulent week or two for your FBG
do hope it starts to treend back to those lovely 5's you so enjoy.

@karen8967 ..went no mans land and hit agree, never sure if under 5 IS a good score,:sorry:.. best of luck for a good day.

And @Muddy Cyclist THAT has the makings of a Superb party in my eyes.
And sunshine and it ripples out into the garden for a Fete type experience
and raining, indoors and it's all gathered around a roaring fire, late into the evening...Much joy.

Weather here in the Not so sunny Capital, drizzly and damp..heavy rains expected most of the day.

Have a good un all.
:)

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Enjoying the tales of @SaskiaKC , & @gennepher
Two entirely different systems it seems, with minuses on both sides of the water.
Do have some knowledge, due to Mum and having to hunt space for her, an awful task.
trust me, i saw some nice ones, some a bit more 'Meh' and one that brought to mind 'One flew Over the Cuckoos Nest' ..:wideyed:

The alternative , when people can still care for themselves, tend this way to be sheltered housing.
typically a small estate of low rise or maybe one block.
serviced like yours, saskia it seems, by wardens (carers) who will do the rounds most days to ensure all are ok.
Intercoms for assistance, and communal washing machines, driers etc, and a community hall for bingo, a coffee etc.

was lucky my mum & dad enjoyed a nice apartment at theirs before mum got so unwell.
and laurens fathers has a beautiful, 1st floor flat..so we were or are both blessed.
( Typical for here, as @PenguinMum says, strictly NO animals.
Sadly mum & dad lost their beloved dog a year before the move was offered, doubt they would have
taken it otherwise...but i was most grateful that they did, took so much pressure off us all ..7th floor tower block, lifts temperamental, too many times both out for day, and on return lifts out of service..an awkward stop over with me or family..not ideal..eventually they limited the trips out, so me & my niece did a lot more of the shopping etc..sure it impacted mums health, now i think of it)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a gentle shout out to @geefull

Not seen any posts since mums dog passed away.
hope all is well, and your just busy tasking care of mum.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again just had slice of LivLife and tea. Take that meter!
@OldButBold Lady Penelope without Parker...unthinkable! thanks for the support @ianpspurs @Muddy Cyclist @jjraak its not insurmountable. At least my A1c isnt due till end of Dec, cant decide whether to have it before Christmas but probs will and review in Jan. @Muddy Cyclist happy birthday sounds wonderful enjoy your celebrations. Back to sheltered/seniors housing if they are able to look after a pet they should absolutely be permitted. The best solution to mental health, BP, lonliness, and so many other things. There is a fight on here to keep free tv licences for over 75s what are we doing to our old folks. Anyone relying on state pension should absolutely have it immediately IMO. I would make everyone in the tv industry earning over £100,000 pay a % to cover it.

Reactions: SaskiaKC and mojo37

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Early doors as i've missed a few mornings lately.

BG trending up, 6.0thu 6.2 fri .. 6.4 this am..
doing a few bits around the house, so while working hard
i'm not working out, so to speak...is it that lack of proper exercise ?
who knows.the vagaries of T2..

Madam off to cousins last night, so consoled myself with a 4 pack of beer.
all to easy to persuade oneself, for 'One more for the Road' ...even when there is NO road..:rolleyes:;)

Major hugs (but Kudos) for @OldButBold ..sorry your off colour still, hope the docs provides some comfort and advise.
but liking the 'Diary' style..and Miss daisy making THAT comment....hilarious..got to love her.
Take care, get better soonest.:)

And Oh, Poor @PenguinMum , really has been a turbulent week or two for your FBG
do hope it starts to treend back to those lovely 5's you so enjoy.

@karen8967 ..went no mans land and hit agree, never sure if under 5 IS a good score,:sorry:.. best of luck for a good day.

And @Muddy Cyclist THAT has the makings of a Superb party in my eyes.
And sunshine and it ripples out into the garden for a Fete type experience
and raining, indoors and it's all gathered around a roaring fire, late into the evening...Much joy.

Weather here in the Not so sunny Capital, drizzly and damp..heavy rains expected most of the day.

Have a good un all.
:)
thanks jjraak x

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...out to work in London again last night...got home around 00:30 so a relatively early night...couldn't go straight to bed I had to 'wind down' first...feeling slightly wrecked this morning...definitely a day for doing nothing sitting here gently sipping my coffee & watching the rain...a 6.7 on waking not surprising its very difficult to stick to a routine with my current work schedule.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone on a bright sunny Saturday morning here in the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of a day of sub 2hr marathon and lazing about drinking Moffitt had another 5.4 in the store room.

A low armchair has been removed. Transported by Mrs Miggins to our daughter’s house and designated as a “nursing chair” - flash to bang now five weeks. A shower party - good grief - is taking place tomorrow at a venue hiding behind a male focused cloaking device. Still, I get tomorrow afternoon to myself, cloud, golden lining.

Old regiment annual dinner tonight so out with the kiwi polish again for the second time in the last few weeks. Always an evening of mystery and surprises; who has made it another year, how will the seating plan pan out, will my bladder cooperate, how much of each dish can I eat, who will be speaking after dinner.

Big hugs for any who needs them, birthday wishes to @Muddy Cyclist, hope you have a great day.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone on a bright sunny Saturday morning here in the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of a day of sub 2hr marathon and lazing about drinking Moffitt had another 5.4 in the store room.

A low armchair has been removed. Transported by Mrs Miggins to our daughter’s house and designated as a “nursing chair” - flash to bang now five weeks. A shower party - good grief - is taking place tomorrow at a venue hiding behind a male focused cloaking device. Still, I get tomorrow afternoon to myself, cloud, golden lining.

Old regiment annual dinner tonight so out with the kiwi polish again for the second time in the last few weeks. Always an evening of mystery and surprises; who has made it another year, how will the seating plan pan out, will my bladder cooperate, how much of each dish can I eat, who will be speaking after dinner.

Big hugs for any who needs them, birthday wishes to @Muddy Cyclist, hope you have a great day.
Enjoy tonight and all that special comradeship means. Baby showers are all kinds of wrong, alas I fear Julie has yet to see the last of ours. What are gender reveal events all about?

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @dunelm I am doing the pre and post meal testing and sort of getting a picture it's what goes on in between that worries me as on occasion I have tested early and got higher readings than I would like. Finger pricking is also causing me some problems with my instrument playing.
I think you and @ianpspurs have given me some good advise and it's still early days since my diagnosis so I will see what the next few HbA1c tests show and think again then.
Could you try getting a blood reading from somewhere other than your fingers because as long as the area is clean I don't suppose it matters :)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Late visitation today, late get out of bed, in fact late everything.

A delicate 7.7 this morning, one and one's should not indulge in dead cow and proper chip shop chips, my meter was smug and the reading shouted " that will teach you " before vanishing in a cloud of methane.

Well folks today is a snorkel and flipper day in liquid sunny Tilehurst. I hope you all can have an enjoyable day, Mrs J has sorted what is left of my day!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Muddy Cyclist

tenor.gif
Your party sounds wonderful!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak and @PenguinMum thank you for the posts about the elderly housing. How sad about the no-pets rule. I wonder what the "reasoning" (if any) is behind it. The people here who have dogs get to be up and out several times a day, exercise, "fresh" air, sunshine ... and usually there is a neighbor around who will walk your dog if you're unable to sometimes. There is one woman here who takes her cat out for walks on a leash. There is no sense -- and IMO a lot of cruelty -- in forcing an elderly person to give up an elderly pet just to have a roof over their head. Especially when the animal shelters are already so full of unwanted animals. Oh, well, I will never understand man's inhumanity to man. They say animals have no mercy -- well, people "have" it, just so often choose not to apply it.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8.3 this morning after a long night's sleep and a very busy morning. I had barely gotten up and fed the KittenCat when the fire alarm went off out in the hall. We are told to "stay put until further notice," so of course we were all out in the hall -- hastily dressed -- asking each other if it was a real fire somewhere this time. One stairwell smelled like burning toast, the other seemed "all clear." We enjoyed exchanging news, complaints about the illegal sub-lessee in one apartment, and theories as to what ijit could be drunk enough on a Saturday morning to burn the toast this time. At least it wasn't real enough for the sprinklers to come on and flood the floors below!

Finally the alarm went off and we all went back to our apartments. I released the KittenCat from her carrier and realized I hadn't checked my FBG or popped a single pill or even put the coffee on.

So, my FBG lesson learned for today, and to be noted down in my log -- if you get several hours' sleep, awake to fire alarms, rush around crating the cat and pulling on some clothes and getting your keys, chat with your neighbors up and down the hall, and THEN, an hour later, check FBG, said FBG will be high.

Now, pills taken, breakfast and coffee enjoyed, "false alarm" mumbled over the intercom which won't have been heard -- or understood -- by 90% of the tenants, and KittenCat sleeping off the excitement in my lap ...

500_F_208465867_gAoafAkw44QDy7Ntxrvmq2Tshr2YePNB.jpg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good gracious @SaskiaKC what a start to the day. Just glad it was a false alarm! The catch up with neighbours was a positive and well done for crating KC securely (unlike me with Bobs!!) and temembering your keys in the rush. No wonder your BG was high but it wasnt a true result. Regarding old folks having to give up their cats and dogs when they go into care there is a TV prog running for years here about Battersea Dogs (mostly) & Cats Home in London. They regularly show older animals available for adoption that have been separated from their elderly companions and those poor creatures always appear depressed, sad and just upset. You can only imagine how the owners are feeling. My SIL in Ireland works in a Care Home and they have two live in Golden Retrievers who visit the residents in the afternoons. She says it is their favourite part of the day and no wonder.
Hope you and the KC have a restful rest of day :cat:

Reactions: geefull

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well...the BBC weather app that promised me sun all of today...it lied

upload_2019-10-12_18-51-40.gif

And my washing got wetter...