Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
This guy is all over the place here, first time I had ever see one that was only a crested colored cardinal. We have the full colored cardinal here too, you just don't see them as much. ( not my picture lol, I don't have the patience!)

Interesting this. We also have some colorful bright green parakeets that are usually found in large flocks that have thrived but are considered invasive. Beautiful, but it has turned out not to be a good thing. The Ring Necked Parakeets are either from a bed and breakfast that set a bunch loose in the 60's or a common story told is they got loose during a hurricane by someone raising them. Considering hurricanes really aren't that common and it seems that it is commonly accepted they've been around since the 60's it's probably the bed and breakfast story that's more true. But they also have gotten loose from being peoples pets for years and I'm sure that has helped add to the population.

Red Crested Cardinal

red-crested_cardinal.jpg

468031039_d952bd97ae_o.jpg

Reactions: porl69 and SueJB

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lots of flocks of those ring necked parakeets in the Netherlands as well, @Marie 2. I loved seeing them flying by my house when I lived in Amsterdam, or sit in the trees in the park.
Good or bad, they're here now so we'd better enjoy them :)

Reactions: Marie 2

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Flu jab at 8:15am. Better haul myself out of bed. Oh and 36 hours with a near straight arrow in the blue. And yes carbs were involved in the making of that line. Feeling happy-it won’t last

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I’ve seen all the Carry On Films.
Top 5.
1. Cruising.
2. Behind.
3. Camping.
4. Convenience
5. Cabbie.
Notable mentions. Sargent, Teacher, Constable.
You missed Carry on Up the Kyber - think that’s what it was called

Reactions: therower

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
This guy is all over the place here, first time I had ever see one that was only a crested colored cardinal. We have the full colored cardinal here too, you just don't see them as much. ( not my picture lol, I don't have the patience!)

Interesting this. We also have some colorful bright green parakeets that are usually found in large flocks that have thrived but are considered invasive. Beautiful, but it has turned out not to be a good thing. The Ring Necked Parakeets are either from a bed and breakfast that set a bunch loose in the 60's or a common story told is they got loose during a hurricane by someone raising them. Considering hurricanes really aren't that common and it seems that it is commonly accepted they've been around since the 60's it's probably the bed and breakfast story that's more true. But they also have gotten loose from being peoples pets for years and I'm sure that has helped add to the population.

Red Crested Cardinal

red-crested_cardinal.jpg

468031039_d952bd97ae_o.jpg
Where do you live? Australia perhaps?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
I've lost control of my BG. Out of range again this morning. I suppose I could blame the liver but I won't, that'll come later. Changed my insulin refills yesterday thinking that might help, it hasn't.
I admit I ate a sweet yesterday and had a glass of cherry vodka but didn't actually eat that many other carbs yesterday........... though that seems like me making an excuse.
I hate exercise. Well that's not strictly true, I like swimming, have little legs but am a good walker and love my bike. I've also got an exercise bike that I got for free. The weather, as we all know, hasn't been that good recently, so I've only been on the exercise bike. It's kept outside but is a bit covered from the rain under a roof. I am unfit and fat but I started on this bike again last week and shock horror, I've put on a kilo
Since being diagnosed 2yrs ago, I've put on 14K. I'm short so this isn't good news, feeling less than perky today. Sometimes tempted to just stop the insulin.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Lots of fish to look at when I snorkel! I am a vegan!

Weight gain with starting insulin is very common. The first reason is all of a sudden you are able to actually use all that food you were eating before you didn’t have the insulin to utilize it.

So the second thing is because of the first thing, you actually do not need all the calories you were probably eating before. Hence weight gain.

And it’s harder to lose it. But it boils down to the same thing, you have to intake less to lose. I know this because I went through it with each medication they tried at first and then with each insulin added. I am finally within a few pounds of my before diabetes weight.

Reactions: porl69 and Antje77

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
We did move so we are away from the coast about 3 miles. His parents had owned a condo for vacations that was right on the bay and it was completely gutted by a hurricane. So we refused the “close to the beach” houses. Besides the affordability issues.

And we are looking into hurricane shutters. We are not in an area that will flood although you are never far from some kind if stream here so there is no guarantee. But this house and area was built in the 70’s and it’s been fine except for the leaks and hence water damage.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Lots of fish to look at when I snorkel! I am a vegan!

Weight gain with starting insulin is very common. The first reason is all of a sudden you are able to actually use all that food you were eating before you didn’t have the insulin to utilize it.

So the second thing is because of the first thing, you actually do not need all the calories you were probably eating before. Hence weight gain.

And it’s harder to lose it. But it boils down to the same thing, you have to intake less to lose. I know this because I went through it with each medication they tried at first and then with each insulin added. I am finally within a few pounds of my before diabetes weight.
Thanks @Marie 2, I know what you're saying but I really don't eat that much, must be the wine. I'm now 3 k off my before diabetes weight and that was too much. I don't want to be this weight. Heho
Snorkling in warm water must be amazing

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I love your new avatar @SueJB It's not even how much you eat, it's some of ours mucked up metabolism! I don't eat much either and am only losing 1 pound a month, my hubby eats 3 full meals plus and still he is losing weight! And I ride my exercise bike 10 miles every day!!!

It's not fair, it's just is what it is!

It is amazing, the water is nice and warm and pretty clear and usually calm on one side of the island at all times!

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I love your new avatar @SueJB It's not even how much you eat, it's some of ours mucked up metabolism! I don't eat much either and am only losing 1 pound a month, my hubby eats 3 full meals plus and still he is losing weight! And I ride my exercise bike 10 miles every day!!!

It's not fair, it's just is what it is!

It is amazing, the water is nice and warm and pretty clear and usually calm on one side of the island at all times!
My new avatar is a 2-toed sloth. That's how I feel. I'm up to a 7 min sprint on my exercise bike. ..... so well done you. Just printed off some pics pre diagnosis and thin to give me some encouragement and prompt me to succeed somehow

Reactions: porl69 and Marie 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning (is it? Not even started the shift work yet but all over the place today) - been up half the night with CGM alarms going off due to my new Libre sensor being a bit all over the place. I think I had the full gamete of alarms - high, urgent high, rising fast, falling fast, low and urgent low... each time I did a blood test to see I was in the low fives, so I presnoozed all the alarms and tried to go back to sleep. Thwarted by a sore throat and incoming cold so feeling EXTREMELY sorry for myself. Last time I felt like this I lost my voice completely for about four days. I was teaching at the time and had to bribe the kids with biscuits to behave. I also had an antique bicycle horn to attract their attention. Think I could do that for my exams on Wednesday and Friday? :D

@Marie 2 - always wanted to go to Hawaii, it’s on the list for potential first proper holiday after I qualify :)

I’m off to practice airway management techniques on a vase. Have all the necessary medical kit, I’m just lacking a throat to shove it in. Have a good one, friends ❤️

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

Utterly exhausted and manager wants me in again for a full day. I have less than 24hrs to wash all my uniforms and dry it before tomorrow :( Unfortunately I’ve hypoed all night and I didn’t get up until now to treat it. I did speak to my manager before she set our rotas, I put down I can manage 4-5hrs x 4-5days per week but I understand 3 days x 8 -13 hours is possible too. Unfortunately I’m not managing the extremely long hours well. I’ll go back to dwelling until my wash cycle is finished.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't gained a lot of weight after starting insulin, but have not lost either, and I eat a lot less, especially a lot less rubbish. Bit of a disappointment as I really don't need all of my 114 kilos.
I think I've read something about the way we get our insulin (under the skin) may have to do something with this weight gain on insulin, as in non-diabetics insulin goes through the liver first. Or something like that, can't exactly remember.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
We did move so we are away from the coast about 3 miles. His parents had owned a condo for vacations that was right on the bay and it was completely gutted by a hurricane. So we refused the “close to the beach” houses. Besides the affordability issues.

And we are looking into hurricane shutters. We are not in an area that will flood although you are never far from some kind if stream here so there is no guarantee. But this house and area was built in the 70’s and it’s been fine except for the leaks and hence water damage.
Sounds like a great place @Marie 2. Where did you move from if you don't mind me asking? How has the move affected T1?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning (is it? Not even started the shift work yet but all over the place today) - been up half the night with CGM alarms going off due to my new Libre sensor being a bit all over the place. I think I had the full gamete of alarms - high, urgent high, rising fast, falling fast, low and urgent low... each time I did a blood test to see I was in the low fives, so I presnoozed all the alarms and tried to go back to sleep. Thwarted by a sore throat and incoming cold so feeling EXTREMELY sorry for myself. Last time I felt like this I lost my voice completely for about four days. I was teaching at the time and had to bribe the kids with biscuits to behave. I also had an antique bicycle horn to attract their attention. Think I could do that for my exams on Wednesday and Friday? :D

@Marie 2 - always wanted to go to Hawaii, it’s on the list for potential first proper holiday after I qualify :)

I’m off to practice airway management techniques on a vase. Have all the necessary medical kit, I’m just lacking a throat to shove it in. Have a good one, friends ❤️
Hope the vase is shatter-proof and the throat gets better today, it will. Salt water gargling girl is what you need to get ready for the 2 big days

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I’m off to practice airway management techniques on a vase. Have all the necessary medical kit, I’m just lacking a throat to shove it in. Have a good one, friends
Hugs loopercat x