What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)

I blame his grandmother for his wayward behaviour...she would wait until people got in their cars, then leap in the bonnet, and then on to the roof, and sit upright on the roof facing the direction the car was travelling. She wouldn’t jump off a moving car. Cars ended up backing back to my house and I was requested to control this wayward cat...and get it off their blinking car roof...

That’s hilarious! I’d love to have seen it.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you yes it was a really positive experience Saskia...we have named them so its Sox for the boy & dash for the girl...one black & white kitty and a Tabby/Brindle.

I love "full dress" cats -- white tie and tail. And ever since my dear old MasCat I have also loved tabbies. The KittenCat's coat is a female variety of full dress -- white tie and tail with calico patches of ginger.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would you believe I had been thinking of posting to ask you what Popeye eats? Always looking for food ideas to tempt the KittenCat's wayward appetite. At the moment she is happy with Whiskas Purrfectly Chicken, some new treats, and, this weekend, people chicken. ^. .^

Popeye turns his nose up at Whiskas!!!

He is into a brand called Sheba at the mo.
Cat yoghurt. He likes liver cat yoghurt, but none available, just salmon or chicken cat yoghurt.
He goes for Iams cat biscuits or Purina cat biscuits.
He will take one lick of my double cream but no more.
He doesn’t like my choice of cold meats.
But he does like sliced Gouda or Edam cheese and I find he insists on sharing with me. If you can call it sharing. He grabs my arm or hand with his claws and guides the sliced cheese to his mouth.
He will clean out the shells of my boiled eggs.
Corned beef is another favourite of his.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Popeye turns his nose up at Whiskas!!!

He is into a brand called Sheba at the mo.
Cat yoghurt. He likes liver cat yoghurt, but none available, just salmon or chicken cat yoghurt.
He goes for Iams cat biscuits or Purina cat biscuits.
He will take one lick of my double cream but no more.
He doesn’t like my choice of cold meats.
But he does like sliced Gouda or Edam cheese and I find he insists on sharing with me. If you can call it sharing. He grabs my arm or hand with his claws and guides the sliced cheese to his mouth.
He will clean out the shells of my boiled eggs.
Corned beef is another favourite of his.

Thank you. The KittenCat will occasionally eat Sheba, and Iams when I can find it (not at our grocery store).
I must look for cat yogurt. I've never heard of that before.
The KittenCat once got a UTI about the time I was letting her drink a little milk and eat cheese so she no longer gets dairy products. Thankfully she loves just about any meat I buy -- including pork ribs (she only gets a teeny bit of that).
I have never tried her on corned beef.
I love the way she reaches out to grab my hand with a paw. Fortunately she always keeps her claws sheathed! The MasCat didn't bother with such niceties -- she either grabbed with claws extended or just lunged with mouth wide open!
Whenever I put food in the KittenCat's dish she thanks me by rubbing her head against my hand. I love this.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too.

How are Dennis and your daughter and Cat doing? Would your daughter like to keep in touch with Cat the way others mentioned here keep in touch with chocolate Labs and Bengals? Or would that just exacerbate the trauma?

Hi Saskia. Dennis is still wearing the cone of shame, alternating with the babygro when it’s in the wash. He’ll be very glad when Wednesday comes and he can do without. ( so will I, the cone in particular is very painful when he comes bounding towards you at full pelt and it bashes your legs).
Daughter would love to keep in contact with Cat’s new owners, she just wants the best for her and she’d love to know Cat was happy, but the cat rescue lady said that although she could ring her whenever she wanted, it’ll be up to the eventual new owners to decide on future contact. Daughter is still feeling terrible but glad of the distraction of work.
Thank you so much for asking. This thread moves on so fast it’s hard to keep up with everyone’s news.

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
first up..the Jimny?
Nice ..liked the one i saw.

Yes, the Jimny although the one I drive is champagne gold rather than blue.

@OldButBold maybe you can convince Miss Daisy to upgrade the one you drive, what fun you would have.

Nice idea but she is very nervous, hence me being the driver. I could try though :) Your comment on on Janspeed made me recall a Mk1 Cortina with a stage 2 Janspeed set up.

@OldButBold I love your "driving Miss Daisy" imagery. My aunt made my parents go see that movie just for the new Hudson which looked almost exactly like the 1948 model my father bought after the war.

Now there's a car I'd like to drive ;)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi just in after a day out with two old friends in Greater London. @HarryBeau the kittens sound adorable am so excited for you. Great team effort choosing names. Btw the girl cat will be sore and tender for longer than the boy but you probably know that. My Daisy still smarts if I touch a certain part of her abdomen and when they both came home from the Cats Protection they had bare rectangles. But lots of love is guaranteed to make it better. @gennepher Popeye should be imortalised in a movie...The life and times of Popeye and his Forebears...what a character :cat: By contrast @SaskiaKC the KC is a gentle little lady and it was nice to see Son 2 though I felt guilty about not being at my best or cooking his favourite meal (Shepherds Pie).
@DJC3 good to hear Dennis is on the mend.
Aah @jjraak you old softie thanks for the waves...not sure I deserve it as had two course lunch out today!!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
COFfee -- Coffee + Ocean + Friends

the-cows-end-cafe-venice-beach.jpg

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, you’ve reiterated the advice the vet gave too, about adding water to his food.

I did think about you yesterday as my daughter was in a terrible state having finally found the courage to give her cat ( called Cat) up for adoption. She’s had her nearly 10yrs and has been her closest pal and confidant all through adolescence and relationship break ups - they have a very special bond. However the flat she’s living in now ( in which pets aren’t actually allowed but she pleaded with the Landlord) just isn’t a good place for Cat - it’s on a main road so she’s frightened to let her out and it’s not very big. She’s been trying everything for the past year - those plug in Feliway things, making a hidden cosy nest. They’ve looked and looked for other flats too but can’t afford anything with a garden. Cat is getting more and more poorly, her skin is flaking and scabby and she’s just miserable. If it weren’t for Dennis we’d have her here but she is very very nervous and doesn’t like dogs, or many people. It’s so hard and it’s breaking my daughter’s heart but she’s said, and we all agree, that she has to put Cat’s well-being before her own feelings. We are hoping she will find a kind lady to care for her.
I did think of sending you a PM but now Plumpy has happily come back into your life I know it wouldn’t work.
What an awful dilemma for your daughter. Sorry to hear this @DJC3

Reactions: Cumberland

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What an awful dilemma for your daughter. Sorry to hear this @DJC3

She’s now beating herself up because she thinks she should have done it sooner - not waited so long to make the decision while poor Cat was getting more and more stressed.
She’s babysitting Dennis for a couple of days soon so I hope that helps to fill a furry gap in her heart.

Reactions: jjraak

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning to you @Muddy Cyclist - nice fbg. Mine was 5.2 - how trustworthy that is one can debate for some time. Much more obvious is that it is not worth the 3.30 waking. 10 gms carb and massive calorie deficit from yesterday. Tempting to blame some of the chemicals being pumped into me but in truth going too low carb has done this from day 1. Doesn't help that so much of the LCHF playbook is about as appealing to me as deep fried Patagonian Warble flies with cow pats. Quite like tea though. Good day to remember Jeremiah 29.11 Have a good day folks.

Last edited:

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning folks, a 6.0 for me on the dice, I succumbed to the big fat pear waving to me from the fruit bowl, I was hoping it would be hard and woody but alas it was soft and sweet and full of sugary badness.... delish though, but I did have a guilt trip as if I have any fruit nowadays I generally go halves with the wife (literally the other half),but she was off galivanting with friends and had left me to my own devices.
Have a lovely day all.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning.
Fbg 6.8

I slept until 4.44am
A miracle!!!

Garden calls today.
Fencework repairs.
Unruly Buddleia.
When is that sun going to get up? I think it is getting lazy these days...

Oh well. Coffee and read your posts next....

Have a good day.
Hugs for those who need them.
And thank you for this thread where we can all talk.
And thank you for my comfy bed.
So many things we can be grateful for!!!!!!