Type 1'stars R Us

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning my fellow pumpers and prickers.

Been away fr a few days in Northumberland, walking and taking photos. Would have been bliss for for some low bloods, followed by some highs. No matter how much I adjust my basal just cant seem to get it right , will keep at it.

Anyhoo as this is the best forum by far, just a quick question regarding renewing driving licence.

My renewal came through yesterday and one of questions is

Have you ever had an episode of low blood sugar (hypo) whilst awake

How many episodes of low blood sugar (hypo) have you had whilst awake

I assume that we all have low blood sugar Hypo, is that maybe under BG 3.9? I know I have have some each week

If 2 or more when having low blood sugar did you need help from another person . ( Do not count episodes where you were given help but could have helped yourself)

Now I do have hypos but I have never needed help.

No does that mean I would put No I dont need help.

Its a bit vague

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning my fellow pumpers and prickers.

Been away fr a few days in Northumberland, walking and taking photos. Would have been bliss for for some low bloods, followed by some highs. No matter how much I adjust my basal just cant seem to get it right , will keep at it.

Anyhoo as this is the best forum by far, just a quick question regarding renewing driving licence.

My renewal came through yesterday and one of questions is

Have you ever had an episode of low blood sugar (hypo) whilst awake

How many episodes of low blood sugar (hypo) have you had whilst awake

I assume that we all have low blood sugar Hypo, is that maybe under BG 3.9? I know I have have some each week

If 2 or more when having low blood sugar did you need help from another person . ( Do not count episodes where you were given help but could have helped yourself)

Now I do have hypos but I have never needed help.

No does that mean I would put No I dont need help.

Its a bit vague
It's very vague especially when it asks about hypos whilst awake.... is this per day, per week?? But think the answer to that is yes
Needing help, I'd say "no" because people were just being nice and as you say you could have done it yourself.
I found the Qs a bit silly and you can almost guess the answers needed for the license to be renewed
Hope this helps

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
That’s such an interpretive question! I’m staying out of that one as I’m US. I would have no idea what they are even trying for on that question! Each state over here has different requirements!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Strenuous exercise late at night. Last night I ate jelly beans at the start and during and my blood sugars went sky high. After the event, I corrected it and it plunged to below 3 than rocketed up again.
When I go swimming I start dropping (fast) after about half an hour. If I take fast sugars like jelly beans before I start that's exactly what would happen: I'd go sky high because the glucose arrives before I need it and my body uses up that glucose with the exercise. Then, later during my swim or after, depending on how long I spend in the pool, I start dropping because the quick glucose is used up by the time I need it.

What works quite well for me is to eat (half) a slice of bread with cheese or such right before I go in the pool. That takes a bit longer to arrive in my bloodstream so it's more aligned with the time I start to drop from the exercise. This usually works pretty much perfect for swimming laps for 45 minutes to an hour.

If I go to the pool with friends for an evening of playing and using the slides and stuff (our playing is as much exercise as swimming laps!) I do the same but I'll need more food after about one and a half hour. Which nicely coincides with my friends wanting fries and kroket's before going back in the pool.
This part of my diabetes management I have to practise more, as I'm usually either too late and having a hypo while waiting for the food, or going high afterwards from misdosing if I'm (again) stupid enough to want fries AND a kroket instead of half a portion of fries and a bunless burger.

It'll likely work all different for you but how I do it may give you some idea's :)

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My dog has her Libre on!!! You can see it just above the shirt, which is supposed to help protect it, but I’m going have to do some sewing for a smaller neck! I’m excited, no more (almost) lip sticking the dog for at least two weeks!

c599594aafcc3ce120963b18cc51bdea451c3499.jpeg

496cd2c1671cd87bdb5430d48e249094c23e96ad.jpeg
That's wonderful!
I'm very curious about what the graph of a diabetic dog looks like. Would she mind if you shared a picture of it in a couple of days?

I must admit I have tried testing my dog once, but couldn't get blood from the ear at first try. So I gave up, as I was just fooling around anyway when I was bored. Didn't know people used (almost) lips as well.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77 The almost was because we test her every night and some mornings, depending how stable she’s been. With the Libre on I’m hoping for more information plus cutting down how much testing we do. Plus helpful for daily curves. I’m sure I’ll still be doing some checks.

Cats ears work good, but dogs ears not really. But their lips work really well, this I learned from a blog of pet owners of diabetic dogs. But it’s not like having 5 fingers on each hand, so I worry about limited area. Only a small percent of owners check their dog daily. My vet was very surprised. I probably am more inclined because of being a type 1 and knowing how variable it is. I adjust her insulin all the time.The vet was very excited that I wanted a Libre for her, she had never seen one but had read about it.

I will post some graphs when I have a few days worth.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I think I’ve seen all the Carry On Films.
Top 5.
1. Cruising.
2. Behind.
3. Camping.
4. Convenience
5. Cabbie.
Notable mentions. Sargent, Teacher, Constable.

Carry On Screaming is my absolute favourite, a very small cast with the wonderful Harry H. Corbett in the lead role.
I do like Carry on Cleo, Carry on Up the Kyber, Carry on Teacher, with Ted Ray, Cruising, Camping, Cabbie, **** ( Turpin) Jack and the earlier Nurse and Doctor ones....... what a wonderful Carry On :hilarious:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The vet was very excited that I wanted a Libre for her, she had never seen one but had read about it.
I guess it will be a great opportunity for your vet as well to learn more about diabetes in dogs. I don't think there is all too much information about the daily fluctuation in bg in pets, or how their diabetes reacts to different foods.
I can imagine if you happen to have a vet school in your area they may be interested in her daily graphs as well.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re exercise, am I the only one who often has to have insulin afterwards, I never get to eat extra food ☹️ My swim training will always require a couple of units about an hour later. Then when I went gardening this morning and walked there and back, about a mile and a half. I was 6 when I left the house, 6 whilst gardening and 6 when I got home. Which on the one hand is good and the other hand strange. If I am going to be lower, it will be the day afterwards usually in the morning which is good for foot on the floor and DP. This condition has no boundaries!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi gang!

Shared a diabetic joke at work today with a non D..

To cut a long story short. Just prior there was a missunderstanding over my understanding of "procedures" involving the placement of some stock parts.
My colleague overhearing the debate mentioned the wasted conversation whilst rolling his eyes as he perused a graph on his desk top. (Yeah, maybe I should have rolled over & let this "micromanager" tickle my tummy.) :banghead:
What's that? I enquired "ooh it's the firm's morale meter showing progress..?"
Ah, said I. "That dip was coincides with the point I was discussing with ****." (name deleted to protect the guilty.)

Oddly, the graph looked just like my Libre readings. For the past couple of hours, It was uncanny.

Pulling out my phone & mentioning diabetes, I explained what the Gimp app was for, regarding the sensor attached to my arm & offered it up for comparison with the graph on the PC screen. & this is the point when my BG dipped, then shot up & plateau'd."

It pretty much stacked up.... Lol, oh we chuckled..
Turned out the graph on the PC my collegue was looking at was stocks & shares with a "CBD oil company" that he has investments in... :woot:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cant believe ive just gave myself bolus insulin instead of basal im not even hungry but will have to fill my face i could kick myself hate going to bed on a full stomach

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cant believe ive just gave myself bolus insulin instead of basal im not even hungry but will have to fill my face i could kick myself hate going to bed on a full stomach
Oh my, that is very annoying! Been there, done that and no-one even bothered to give me the t-shirt.
Please be careful, if you stuff your face with sweet stuff now and go to sleep on a highish number you still might go low hours from now :(
Is your basal dose an amount of bolus you can relatively easily eat away? Please set an alarm to check again tonight or ask someone to wake you tonight if you don't live alone.
Keep us updated, I'll have my fingers crossed for at least some sleep for you!

edit: And I'm very glad you found out before unexplainably hypoing bad!

Reactions: karen8967