Type 1'stars R Us

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sadly it looks like 'Kim' has taken a *self enforced* break from the forum - self enforced might not the the right wording but she took the decision herself - hopefully she'll be back when she's happier with things.
Really @slip? she took the decision herself? I'm surprised. I value @Kim Possible's contributions. Wise words and sound thoughts with humour and sense just like Knikki's. I don't think she'd leave us just like that would she?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
No, but (there always is!), if your bolus is currently helping the basal to keep you stable then yes your ratios might need tweaking down a bit.
Tweaking down??? what does this mean @slip? Remember, you're talking to a young one here

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think it's a tiny amount 5mmol morning and then again evening. The thing I worry about is.............. if I start increasing basal................ I'll get even fatter. Went and tried on a great spotty top today, just by chance and thought it needed to come home with me. Took it into the changing room........... noticed belly was well-bruised with injections and also saw the very very evident fat handles. Does more basal mean that blouse should decrease or is that a silly but logical idea? More basal =less bolus
I’m not the best person to advise on the weight issue, the better my BG control the fatter I get. But if you increase the basal (google basal testing to help get it right) you made need less bolus, as the need for correction should in theory be less.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB I caught a post from her yesterday saying she was going to stop using the forum - I am surprised she didn't post in this thread to say so. - but I suspect her head wasn't in the right place at the time of posting.

Tweaking down: reducing the amount of insulin per X grams of carbs. So say you're working with a ratio of 1u:10g for breakfast (unbeknown to you - just to give you an in range result come lunch time) if you upped your basal you might need 1u:8g instead to keep you aiming for the target. Basal testing, still doing your basal jab in the morning but skipping breakfast and the associated bolus could see you rise meaning not enough basal, so up the basal and if you do a basal retest and you're then steady great!, having the same amount of bolus as before though would then see you dip.

As for weight issues, I'm lucky I'm the same weight I've been for years, but in the early years I put on a lot of weight (more than I probably know I lost pre-DX) - generally I would say we're just like everyone else though too much in not enough out but we have a better understanding of food than most however I'd rather be fatter and have good numbers than slim with bad numbers as @LooperCat will probably testify.........?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB I caught a post from her yesterday saying she was going to stop using the forum - I am surprised she didn't post in this thread to say so. - but I suspect her head wasn't in the right place at the time of posting.

Tweaking down: reducing the amount of insulin per X grams of carbs. So say you're working with a ratio of 1u:10g for breakfast (unbeknown to you - just to give you an in range result come lunch time) if you upped your basal you might need 1u:8g instead to keep you aiming for the target. Basal testing, still doing your basal jab in the morning but skipping breakfast and the associated bolus could see you rise meaning not enough basal, so up the basal and if you do a basal retest and you're then steady great!, having the same amount of bolus as before though would then see you dip.

As for weight issues, I'm lucky I'm the same weight I've been for years, but in the early years I put on a lot of weight (more than I probably know I lost pre-DX) - generally I would say we're just like everyone else though too much in not enough out but we have a better understanding of food than most however I'd rather be fatter and have good numbers than slim with bad numbers as @LooperCat will probably testify.........?
Sort of sounds like sense, problem is that I only have a half unit pen for blousing and as I'm not on a pump, I don't get to fine tune basal/bolus more tightly. Lots of guess work from me.
Well done you though for not having a weight issue and lots of thanks for intelligent reply. I thought you were at work?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am at work, as I sit in front of a computer virtually all day I always have the forum open and running in the background and post when I have a moment in between work - some of my longer posts can take several hours to compose between 'work' :cool:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
problem is that I only have a half unit pen for blousing

Well you can ask your DSN for a half unit pen for basal just off the bat - no harm in trying, or you can up it by 1 whole unit and see how you go - if it's too much you have the perfect ammo to throw at your DSN to ensure you do get a half unit pen then. Hows your bed time score against your morning score?

5u going to 6u is a 20% increase but it is spread over ~12hrs - you could be scientific! how much does 1u drop you normally? divide that by 12 and thats how much lower your scores will be generally through the day - now thats a text book Doctor answer if ever I saw one! :singing:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Well you can ask your DSN for a half unit pen for basal just off the bat - no harm in trying, or you can up it by 1 whole unit and see how you go - if it's too much you have the perfect ammo to throw at your DSN to ensure you do get a half unit pen then. Hows your bed time score against your morning score?

5u going to 6u is a 20% increase but it is spread over ~12hrs - you could be scientific! how much does 1u drop you normally? divide that by 12 and thats how much lower your scores will be generally through the day - now thats a text book Doctor answer if ever I saw one! :singing:
You could retrain. I bet the answer is dead informative but I have to reread it a few times before I get to the essence. Can always tell someone who'se be dealing the D for eons. Thanks, I'll see if I can wangle a pen in Nov when they shake their head at me
I admit, I rarely check my BG before I go to bed. Shocking, positively shocking. I reckon though it's generally the same or 1 or 2 mmols different either up or down. Depends if I've had some sticky juice or not

Reactions: slip

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I admit, I rarely check my BG before I go to bed. Shocking, positively shocking. I reckon though it's generally the same or 1 or 2 mmols different either up or down. Depends if I've had some sticky juice or not
Annoyingly it’s the best way to see if your basal is keeping you level overnight, because you’re not eating, or exercising. If it’s spot on, you should wake within 1mmol of your bedtime reading.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Annoyingly it’s the best way to see if your basal is keeping you level overnight, because you’re not eating, or exercising. If it’s spot on, you should wake within 1mmol of your bedtime reading.
True but I just get too sleepy and forget. Good luck tomorrow Loopy

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Day 4 completed and I've returned home to do three very important things before tomorrow!

Firstly, I'm testing eggs all by themselves as I am pretty sure I need bolus for eggs.

Secondly, I'm testing out the "healthy cake" recipe in the DAFNE book that we used for calculating carbs for a recipe. I did disagree with DAFNE here on a couple of the ingredients, plus we all disagreed about a cake being divided into 16 portions!

Thirdly, I'm contemplating the Libre. For some reason, I'm reluctant at the moment, even though we've discussed all kinds of reasons why it might well be really good for me. I think I'm coming down on the side of seeing what my Hba1c is tomorrow morning, and if it's about what it was in the summer or higher, then I'll take it. I've surprised myself because I always thought I'd take it like a shot if offered, but I've been dithering all week!

May just be me needing to give myself a good talking to about having what I need and not feeling guilty about cost to the NHS - long term it's more cost-effective to keep me healthy! Plus, it would be kinder to my organist's fingers to reduce the amount of finger pricking.

Reactions: porl69

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Japes . Many years ago I commented to my GP that I didn’t like blood testing to often as I knew the strips were expensive.
Let’s say he gave me a bit of a lecture.
He pointed out the cost of diabetes hospital admissions, on going care from diabetic complications and everything in between.
At the end he looked me in the eye and said “ if you maintain good control I have no issues with the cost of strips to the NHS.”
I appreciate not all GP’s are the same but the rationale is actually true.
Providing the libre proves to be worthwhile and beneficial to you then ultimately the NHS will benefit.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
If you cut it into squares not wedges you might manage. But recipients might not be thrilled.

I made a cake for my daughters birthday last week, it was delicious on the lips, but not on the................Libre :rolleyes:

DSC_1268 (2) - Edited.jpg

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I'd like to be an oracle but I can't see it coming