1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

That's wonderful!
    I'm very curious about what the graph of a diabetic dog looks like. Would she mind if you shared a picture of it in a couple of days?

I must admit I have tried testing my dog once, but couldn't get blood from the ear at first try. So I gave up, as I was just fooling around anyway when I was bored. Didn't know people used (almost) lips as well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@Antje77 The almost was because we test her every night and some mornings, depending how stable she’s been. With the Libre on I’m hoping for more information plus cutting down how much testing we do. Plus helpful for daily curves. I’m sure I’ll still be doing some checks.

Cats ears work good, but dogs ears not really. But their lips work really well, this I learned from a blog of pet owners of diabetic dogs. But it’s not like having 5 fingers on each hand, so I worry about limited area. Only a small percent of owners check their dog daily. My vet was very surprised. I probably am more inclined because of being a type 1 and knowing how variable it is. I adjust her insulin all the time.The vet was very excited that I wanted a Libre for her, she had never seen one but had read about it.

I will post some graphs when I have a few days worth.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Carry On Screaming is my absolute favourite, a very small cast with the wonderful Harry H. Corbett in the lead role.
    I do like Carry on Cleo, Carry on Up the Kyber, Carry on Teacher, with Ted Ray, Cruising, Camping, Cabbie, **** ( Turpin) Jack and the earlier Nurse and Doctor ones....... what a wonderful Carry On :hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I guess it will be a great opportunity for your vet as well to learn more about diabetes in dogs. I don't think there is all too much information about the daily fluctuation in bg in pets, or how their diabetes reacts to different foods.
    I can imagine if you happen to have a vet school in your area they may be interested in her daily graphs as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Dog agility unfortunately.

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

That makes it even worse...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The best of the British play-on-words humour. I'll quit while I'm ahead.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You have...............style :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Re exercise, am I the only one who often has to have insulin afterwards, I never get to eat extra food ☹️ My swim training will always require a couple of units about an hour later. Then when I went gardening this morning and walked there and back, about a mile and a half. I was 6 when I left the house, 6 whilst gardening and 6 when I got home. Which on the one hand is good and the other hand strange. If I am going to be lower, it will be the day afterwards usually in the morning which is good for foot on the floor and DP. This condition has no boundaries!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I have to correct after weights @becca59

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find no need to correct anything when I'm using the scales and weights in the kitchen:hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi gang!

Shared a diabetic joke at work today with a non D..

To cut a long story short. Just prior there was a missunderstanding over my understanding of "procedures" involving the placement of some stock parts.
    My colleague overhearing the debate mentioned the wasted conversation whilst rolling his eyes as he perused a graph on his desk top. (Yeah, maybe I should have rolled over & let this "micromanager" tickle my tummy.) :banghead:
    What's that? I enquired "ooh it's the firm's morale meter showing progress..?"
    Ah, said I. "That dip was coincides with the point I was discussing with ****." (name deleted to protect the guilty.)

Oddly, the graph looked just like my Libre readings. For the past couple of hours, It was uncanny.

Pulling out my phone & mentioning diabetes, I explained what the Gimp app was for, regarding the sensor attached to my arm & offered it up for comparison with the graph on the PC screen. & this is the point when my BG dipped, then shot up & plateau'd."

It pretty much stacked up.... Lol, oh we chuckled..
    Turned out the graph on the PC my collegue was looking at was stocks & shares with a "CBD oil company" that he has investments in... :woot:

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Cant believe ive just gave myself bolus insulin instead of basal im not even hungry but will have to fill my face i could kick myself hate going to bed on a full stomach

• Hug Hug x 7
  14. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

It seems like it happens a lot!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh my, that is very annoying! Been there, done that and no-one even bothered to give me the t-shirt.
    Please be careful, if you stuff your face with sweet stuff now and go to sleep on a highish number you still might go low hours from now :(
    Is your basal dose an amount of bolus you can relatively easily eat away? Please set an alarm to check again tonight or ask someone to wake you tonight if you don't live alone.
    Keep us updated, I'll have my fingers crossed for at least some sleep for you!

edit: And I'm very glad you found out before unexplainably hypoing bad!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. karen8967

What a night i dropped down to low twos treated that but was on a roller coaster all night im currently 17.8 but correction done heads banging and im shattered i will make sure i check which pen im using in future its going to be one of those days .anyway have a good day everyone

• Hug Hug x 7
  17. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I hope you feel better as the day goes on, I think a lot of us have been through the same, take care x
    Ooooh and good morning :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. karen8967

Thanks robs x

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. karen8967

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook