Hi everybody, another newbie here . . .

CliveUK

Hello everybody . . . I’ve just signed up and this is my very first post.

A little about me as an introduction; I am a 62 year old retired chap who until very recently thought he was really healthy. I went along to my GP and had a health check which I passed with flying colours but subject to the blood test results coming back. The blood test results were not quite what I expected and really shocked me, I was told I was prediabetic and had slightly high cholesterol.

My results were: hba1c 42 and Cholesterol 5.8

I know these results are not terrible but it still came as a bit of a shock. I am spot on the correct weight for my height, I run three times a week (I average about 10 miles a week), I walk another couple of miles on the days I don’t run and also do some weight lifting. Diet wise I am not perfect but then again not terrible either.

I am currently waiting to go back to the surgery to discuss the cholesterol and sign up for the diabetes prevention program. In the meantime I have just ordered a home blood test meter so I can track my progress, that's about where I am at the moment.

Its a bit mind boggling really, one day OK (or a least I thought I was!) then the next day not . . . anyway that’s a bit about me :happy:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi CliveUK,
I’m sorry that this unexpected diagnosis has bought you here. However here is an excellent place to be for all people with some form of diabetes.
Here’s a link to our useful info post:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Your HbA1c is just into the prediabetic range so with a few adjustments to your diet you can get that back into the non diabetic range. Aside from cutting out obvious sugar, you'll need to look at your carbohydrate intake, all carbs white or brown turn to sugar once eaten.
It’s good you’ve bought a glucose meter as this will show you what foods you can and can’t tolerate.
Just another point to note is, please do your homework on statins, drugs used to reduce cholesterol. There is a lot of disagreement about whether higher cholesterol levels are detrimental to our health or not. Also statins can raise blood sugar levels, which isn’t good for diabetics!

Reactions: angustia

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Welcome to the forum. Nothing to add to what Rachox has said, but good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, a few tweaks in your diet may well be all you need. Keep the carbs down and have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full. Like most GPs your Doc may say you need to go onto statins but don't be rushed. The total number means little. Insist that your next blood test includes a fasting lipids 'panel' so you can check the various lipids ratios and it's these that matter and not the total.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

You have come to the right place for information, advice and support.

You've made a good start with ordering a meter- they are essential.

Welcome.

CliveUK

Hello and welcome

You have come to the right place for information, advice and support.

You've made a good start with ordering a meter- they are essential.

Welcome.

What I didn't realise though is that there is also a HbA1c meter available apparently, maybe that would have been a better option?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I didn't realise though is that there is also a HbA1c meter available apparently, maybe that would have been a better option?
Far from it. A HbA1c from the doc is usually enough, you want to know what your bloodsugars are doing right at the moment you test, not get the 3 month average a HbA1c provides. While useful in its own right, it won't help you figure out what foods agree with you and which don't, for instance. :)

CliveUK

Far from it. A HbA1c from the doc is usually enough, you want to know what your bloodsugars are doing right at the moment you test, not get the 3 month average a HbA1c provides. While useful in its own right, it won't help you figure out what foods agree with you and which don't, for instance. :)

Thank you, I understand.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you download the free app mysugr you can enter your glucose readings and log your food, after a few days worth of data, it will give you an estimated hba1c. I found it very motivating.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a good idea to have a meter, not so you can check progress but so you can make progress - If you check after eating and find that your reading is high, you know that the foods you ate were too high in carbs and you need to either substitute or cut down on quantity.

CliveUK

Thanks guys for all the replies, very much appreciated, I've already learned a lot and I've only been here a day :)

CliveUK

Hi. Yes, a few tweaks in your diet may well be all you need. Keep the carbs down and have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full. Like most GPs your Doc may say you need to go onto statins but don't be rushed. The total number means little. Insist that your next blood test includes a fasting lipids 'panel' so you can check the various lipids ratios and it's these that matter and not the total.

Yes I was offered statins when I went back yesterday but I've refused and told then I'm going to try without. I'm going back mid Jan for another blood test for both cholesterol and blood sugar to see how I'm doing. I also got the full details of the cholesterol test on a print out.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome Clive, it sounds like you are off to a flying start. x