No Energy

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.

I have down on my carbs and my fbg is down too. And my readings after meals are down too.

What isnt getting better is my energy
I was down on vitamin d but its back up to 80 I know I struggle with sleep too but most days I can get a good 4 or 5 hours of good sleep. I still feel drained and feel like I have no energy to do anything I check my bgl and it's in range 6-7mmol/l and I'm only 23 I feel like I'm 80.

Has anyone experienced this or have any idea what could cause this? I'm going to have some more bloods done my gp told me its diabetes but my blood sugars aren't to bad than before so I'm worried.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long have you been low carb? How much have you cut down? How much different are your bloods now from what you were previously used to? It sounds like it could be ‘keto flu or low carb flu”. Fancy label for glucose withdrawal and the good news is it passes it you can wait it out. Alternatively it might be an element of your body throwing a tantrum at having lower than expected blood glucose levels even though they are still more than adequate . Again it passes as you get used to it.

In the meantime and these can make a big difference how quickly it passes

Are you eating more fats to balance the carbs you have removed? Having electrolytes like potassium and magnesium rich foods?

and 4-5hrs isn’t really enough for most people so it’s not surprising that you’re tired.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long have you been low carb? How much have you cut down? How much different are your bloods now from what you were previously used to? It sounds like it could be ‘keto flu or low carb flu”. Fancy label for glucose withdrawal and the good news is it passes it you can wait it out. Alternatively it might be an element of your body throwing a tantrum at having lower than expected blood glucose levels even though they are still more than adequate . Again it passes as you get used to it.

In the meantime and these can make a big difference how quickly it passes

Are you eating more fats to balance the carbs you have removed? Having electrolytes like potassium and magnesium rich foods?

and 4-5hrs isn’t really enough for most people so it’s not surprising that you’re tired.

This issue has gone on for several months.
It might be my diet, I may be lacking more than vitamin d. I exercise 4 times a week, I'm 71.8kg at 168cm I have been having to have days of from work due to working very slow and its making me more miserable. I might go see a nutritionist and see whether it may be a diet issue. I eat eggs for breakfast and then fish or chicken with veggies in the evening.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be my diet, I may be lacking more than vitamin d. I exercise 4 times a week, I'm 71.8kg at 168cm I have been having to have days of from work due to working very slow and its making me more miserable. I might go see a nutritionist and see whether it may be a diet issue. I eat eggs for breakfast and then fish or chicken with veggies in the evening.
I don’t see any fat there. Or much in the way of electrolytes.

If you see a nutritionist make sure they understand low carb eating first or you’ll get all sorts of dubious advice or be advised to eat carbs again.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t see any fat there. Or much in the way of electrolytes.

If you see a nutritionist make sure they understand low carb eating first or you’ll get all sorts of dubious advice or be advised to eat carbs again.

I will do some research and see what fats and electrolytes to put into my diet. I try eating lots of veggies and fish I take my vitamins as well.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @UsmanMo96

had similar when i first started out.
foggy drained, exhausted

@HSSS , is most correct in the lack of fats.

THAT is what made the difference for me, i upped mine, butter, cream, yoghurts etc
guess it took a few months before i settled into this new way and my energy levels got back on track.

i'd say with the exercise you are doing and working too boot,
and with the change of diet , your just not taking in enough food...aka fats

yeah, i know it all seems topsy turvy.
eat more and still lose weight AND get better blood results
welcome to world of real food.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @UsmanMo96

had similar when i first started out.
foggy drained, exhausted

@HSSS , is most correct in the lack of fats.

THAT is what made the difference for me, i upped mine, butter, cream, yoghurts etc
guess it took a few months before i settled into this new way and my energy levels got back on track.

yeah, i know it all seems topsy turvy.
eat more and still lose weight AND get better blood results
welcome to world of real food.

I do eat yogurt I have a plate full maybe every other day.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could very much also be due to not enough sleep as has already been mentioned, I've been having problems lately with dawn phenomenon waking me up at some awful time in the morning meaning I'm not getting enough sleep and so I'm exhausted due to not enough sleep.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also fattier cuts of meat, nuts, nut oils, olive oil, coconut oil. The yoghurt should be full fat and Greek has amongst the lowest carbs. Don’t eat any “low fat” things. Likely to have added sugar and obviously not enough fat. Add the butters and oils to cooking or afterwards, or both. Stir cream (double is best) through sauces, add it to drinks etc etc.

It sounds crazy and you don’t have to go mad. But you do need to eat enough to have energy back. You still need fuel. And fat is not the enemy. Carbs are. Your body can process fat just fine. It can’t process carbs.

Only word of caution is to add them gradually if your tummy might be sensitive as it can be somewhat “loosening” at first til you adjust to the higher (than previous levels of fat). It might also make you a little nauseous if you overdo it. In both cases just take the amounts down a little and reintroduce more slowly until you are feeling full and have enough energy each day.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hi all.

I have down on my carbs and my fbg is down too. And my readings after meals are down too.

What isnt getting better is my energy
I was down on vitamin d but its back up to 80 I know I struggle with sleep too but most days I can get a good 4 or 5 hours of good sleep. I still feel drained and feel like I have no energy to do anything I check my bgl and it's in range 6-7mmol/l and I'm only 23 I feel like I'm 80.

Has anyone experienced this or have any idea what could cause this? I'm going to have some more bloods done my gp told me its diabetes but my blood sugars aren't to bad than before so I'm worried.
To be honest it was only when I came off my meds that I started to feel better. Not anymore, sugars aren’t amazing so feeling bit rubbish again although still not as lousy as when I was on my meds,
I was waiting for months for that magical feeling blooming amazing again and I never got it. Until I came off the meds, it appears my meds had a lot of unlisted side effects. Ones I’m discovering every day,

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Do you think that's enough? I know it's not about calories as such but that amounts to about 600!!

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could very much also be due to not enough sleep as has already been mentioned, I've been having problems lately with dawn phenomenon waking me up at some awful time in the morning meaning I'm not getting enough sleep and so I'm exhausted due to not enough sleep.

There are days where I can sleep for a good 6 hours or more and then days where I cant sleep at all, I can be in bed and wont switch off until around 5am, when I need to be up around 6am so I need to fix that I've tried switching off phone hour before bed, I've tried nytol, I've tried cbd oil and nothing seems to work.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just what I was going to say, except that I would suggest upping both fat and protein to replace the carbs you no longer eat. Concerning your lack of sleep, can you leave 3-4 hours after your evening meal before you go to bed?

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Hi UsmanMo96

Sleep is so important. I feel you may not be getting enough, not just in terms of the hours you spent asleep. The depth and quality are of the utmost importance.

Firstly, ensure you are drinking enough water. That means at least 2 litres a day.
Lack of water consumption is a major cause of low energy.

Ensure that you do not spend time on your computer, mobile phone, tablet, television etc. Before you go to bed. attempt to turn off everything 2 hrs before going to bed.

The issue with the above is entrainment, (it excites, speeds up, the frequency of brain waves.)

This is a major problem for so many people today… including our children who spend so much time ‘on-line before bed.
The first issue is lack of energy, swiftly followed by lethargy.

Inability to concentrate, lack of REM sleep… This is so important for good health, psychically, emotionally and mentally.

The list of symptoms is huge, some believe that diabetes could he included in this list.

WiFi can be a huge issue for some people also, as can anything ’smart’
There is nothing smart about sleep deprivation.

The Hz hurts!

Po

Last edited:

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi UsmanMo96

Sleep is so important. I feel you may not be getting enough, not just in terms of the hours you spent asleep. The depth and quality are of the utmost importance.

Firstly, ensure you are drinking enough water. That means at least 2 litres a day.
Lack of water consumption is a major cause of low energy.

Ensure that you do not spend time on your computer, mobile phone, tablet, television etc. Before you go to bed. attempt to turn off everything 2 hrs before going to bed.

The issue with the above is entrainment, (it excites, speeds up, the frequency of brain waves.)

This is a major problem for so many people today… including our children who spend so much time ‘on-line before bed.
The first issue is lack of energy, swiftly followed by lethargy.

Inability to concentrate, lack of REM sleep… This is so important for good health, psychically, emotionally and mentally.

The list of symptoms is huge, some believe that diabetes could he included in this list.

WiFi can be a huge issue for some people also, as can anything ’smart’
There is nothing smart about sleep deprivation.

The Hz hurts!

Po

The sleep issue is definitely an issue I want to resolve, I will be up all night switching positions and then by the time I'm tired its 5am, I get up at 6am for work. I usually will get to bed around 9.30pm.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The sleep issue is definitely an issue I want to resolve, I will be up all night switching positions and then by the time I'm tired its 5am, I get up at 6am for work. I usually will get to bed around 9.30pm.
I would strongly recommend you begin spending a few mins each night before going to sleep doing this simple breathing exercise.

Sit on your bed and close your eyes.
Breath in through your nose, whilst mentally counting to 4 saying the count silently within your mind.
Hold your breath whist slowly counting again from 1-4
Then slowly breath out, again through your nose, for a count of 8.
Then simply repeat the whole sequence over again.

The speed of the count is unimportant... you will find it slows to your naturally rhythm .

If you need to breath through your mouth that is fine and or take a 'normal' recovery breath at anytime, feel free to do so.

Po
(If you wish to pm me please feel free)

Reactions: ShelleyDubs

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just what I was going to say, except that I would suggest upping both fat and protein to replace the carbs you no longer eat. Concerning your lack of sleep, can you leave 3-4 hours after your evening meal before you go to bed?
This is excellent advise...

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My last meal is 6pm so I usually am in bed by 9.30pm I can close my eyes all night and yet dont fall asleep I start to yawn and get tired around 5am. But get up around 6am for work. I might start work later if nothing improves.. I only work 4 days a week. I don't sleep those 4 days. Dont know what damage that is doing to my overall health but I will be looking for ways to clock off to sleep quicker

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would strongly recommend you begin spending a few mins each night before going to sleep doing this simple breathing exercise.

Sit on your bed and close your eyes.
Breath in through your nose, whilst mentally counting to 4 saying the count silently within your mind.
Hold your breath whist slowly counting again from 1-4
Then slowly breath out, again through your nose, for a count of 8.
Then simply repeat the whole sequence over again.

The speed of the count is unimportant... you will find it slows to your naturally rhythm .

If you need to breath through your mouth that is fine and or take a 'normal' recovery breath at anytime, feel free to do so.

Po
(If you wish to pm me please feel free)

I will definitely PM you.
I've tried a similar technique where I count to 100.

Reactions: poemagraphic

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've been a poor sleeper since I started shift work. Oh actually I'm been having distrubed sleep since I was 6yrs old. Worrying incase my violent parents were going to kick off that night. On top of that I've had diabetic weeing through the night and severe thrush. Living on my own then livng out of hotels with alcohol playing a huge part of my social life.
Sleep has always been disturbed. Now with a child with night terrors due to his autism and wet beds from him causes me to be alert enough to help him back to a fresh, clean bed.
There's always something.
On his good days I'd be in pain or woken from a dawn Iver dump.