Wondering about coming off metformin

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

At what point, if any, did folk consider coming off metformin?

I am hoping to be well into "normal" range at my next testing but wondered how much of that could be said to be the metformin. I am on 500mg slow release twice a day.

I dont mind staying on it as I have no side effects, but see the posts where folk come off all the meds and would love to be able to try that.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
When I dipped into the non diabetic number range and found out it was contraindicated to my kidney condition.

I was glad to see the back of a repeat prescription, always hated the admin and keeping stocked up.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am hoping to be well into "normal" range at my next testing
What is considered a normal A1c differs quite a lot between the US and the UK. Here 41 is the upper limit of normal but in the US it is 38.8. I would dearly love to get my A1c down to Dr Bernstein's "true normal" of 31. Failing that, I would be pretty happy with the 34 Jenny Ruhl considers low enough to avoid most complications. As things stand, even eating VLC I can't get below 38, so I intend to stay on the maximum dose of Glucophage / Metformin indefinitely. Even if it only helps my bg a little bit, I'll take that.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is considered a normal A1c differs quite a lot between the US and the UK. Here 41 is the upper limit of normal but in the US it is 38.8. I would dearly love to get my A1c down to Dr Bernstein's "true normal" of 31. Failing that, I would be pretty happy with the 34 Jenny Ruhl considers low enough to avoid most complications. As things stand, even eating VLC I can't get below 38, so I intend to stay on the maximum dose of Glucophage / Metformin indefinitely. Even if it only helps my bg a little bit, I'll take that.

I wonder though, Alexandra, whether your DNA simply won't let you go down to this magic '31' number and that if you manage it, the rest of your inner machinery goes into action to counterbalance it? There is great variation between human beings and I reckon trying to attain something that your body struggles against can make things worse. Don't get me wrong, there most certainly is a threshold for every individual that if you go beyond may make you ill but surely this is why there are always 'between' parameters set in blood tests and so on. I might covet blue eyes but my DNA says NO. x

D

Deleted member 308541

When I had got a series of hba1c blood tests in the mid 30 mmol/mol range I discussed it with my GP about coming of Metformin in March this year. I cut back the dose by 50% and after another hba1c in June of 34 mmol/mol I completely cut them out.

I have now been off them five months.

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I had got a series of hba1c blood tests in the mid 30 mmol/mol range I discussed it with my GP about coming of Metformin in March this year. I cut back the dose by 50% and after another hba1c in June of 34 mmol/mol I completely cut them out.

Thanks, I think that is the way I would be looking at trying it

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Congratulations on your great results.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Hi

At what point, if any, did folk consider coming off metformin?

I am hoping to be well into "normal" range at my next testing but wondered how much of that could be said to be the metformin. I am on 500mg slow release twice a day.

I dont mind staying on it as I have no side effects, but see the posts where folk come off all the meds and would love to be able to try that.
I am fairly sure that some doctors, diabetic nurses, and consultants, must curse this site, because of the ever-increasing numbers of patients who want to stop their drugs.

Perhaps more pertinently, the large pharmaceutical industries and their shareholder’s, must hate this site and the ever-growing number of diabetics who though educating themselves and diet and lifestyle changes alone are able to reduce their drug intake.

In some cases, as people can read here on this great site, and other social media platforms, greatly reduce and completely stop all drugs.

I am a child of the optimistic mood of the sixties, I am the eternal optimist.

I often hit the ‘rainbow’ the optimistic button on some posts.

Whereas the pessimists tend to point to ways in which life and situations can deteriorate.

However, we must eternally be aware of being unrealistic and over-optimistic.

Po

D

Deleted member 308541

I am fairly sure that some doctors, diabetic nurses, and consultants, must curse this site, because of the ever-increasing numbers of patients who want to stop their drugs.
My GP was all in favour, but advised that I reduced the dosage first to see what happened. He was happy for me to give them completely away.

I do not have consultant or diabetic nurse, the CDE I have seen a couple of times will be ok with it as well if I need to see her again sometime.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
My GP was all in favour, but advised that I reduced the dosage first to see what happened. He was happy for me to give them completely away.

I do not have consultant or diabetic nurse, the CDE I have seen a couple of times will be ok with it as well if I need to see her again sometime.
This my friend is hopefully the positive side of what we do here.
Slowly the medical profession will come round, and as in your case are far far more open and considered.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When I dipped into the non diabetic number range and found out it was contraindicated to my kidney condition.

I was glad to see the back of a repeat prescription, always hated the admin and keeping stocked up.
You would hate being me then. Not just meds for diabetes. 4 other conditions which would hv killed me if I wasn't on my meds.
If you don't needs meds why would anyone take them?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As well as A1c also consider your triglycerides levels and how your weight is changing. For example some people find that without metformin they stop losing weight.

Clearly if I got any side effects from Metformin I would have stopped them, but at present I think on balance Metformin is still worth me taking., but I would not recommend someone starting to take it at my A1c level.

Reactions: jjraak

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You would hate being me then. Not just meds for diabetes. 4 other conditions which would hv killed me if I wasn't on my meds.
If you don't needs meds why would anyone take them?
With the milder drugs such as Metformin, it can become a habit that terrifies you to break, just in case.

When I was a teenager I chipped the bone in my hip doing triple jump. I was in agony and still threw away the pain relief, so have had an aversion for some deep rooted reason; probably due to hating my Mum smoking.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
My DN suggested that I finally stop taking Metformin a couple of weeks ago. I was on 500mg day for the previous year and had an HbA1c in the middle thirties for 5 years so had no real concerns about giving up, at least in the short term. My kidneys can do with a rest.
However, I did make sure that I would still be listed as having diabetes and therefore be checked for neuropathy, retinopathy etc. I shall also ask for a blood test in 3 months time and will monitor my weight.

Reactions: jjraak

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I found this video on the internet. I hope those who want to remain on Metformin with low HbA1c levels have considered the points mentioned in it.
Metformin - The Case of Exaggerating Both Benefits and Harms :
This is a little old (2015), looks at the harm of High Glucose rather than High Insulin and just looks at drug control of T2D,
but it may educate/surprise people.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Part of the issue is that the NICE "rules" don't allow metformin to be started unless over 48, so there is a risk that a person's GP may not allow them to restart metformin even if it is clear not taking it is effecting someone's health.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
With the milder drugs such as Metformin, it can become a habit that terrifies you to break, just in case.

When I was a teenager I chipped the bone in my hip doing triple jump. I was in agony and still threw away the pain relief, so have had an aversion for some deep rooted reason; probably due to hating my Mum smoking.
No I'm definitely not afraid of doing without metformin as I've been without metformin for 4yrs. I've only just reintroduced it. With a benefit of needing less insulin units for control which works for me.

Reactions: poemagraphic