Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Cumberland - given the weather today you picked a great time to have the operation - no one should be out in this rain and wind.
Hope all goes well.

Reactions: Cumberland

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Thanks lovely. Basically I got caught out on a trick question (which they specifically said they wouldn’t do in the run-up to the exams) - at this stage we need to be able to diagnose four specific, clearly different, identifiable rhythms on the heart monitor, and know whether to shock them or not. I got a rhythm that looks like a cross between two, we haven’t been taught it, both shockable, but I used the wrong name. A few of us got caught out by it, and we’re challenging the result. The more I think about it, the angrier I’m getting - we were deliberately tripped up on a test that was just to make sure we were safe using the defibrillator. The most annoying part is that husbeast is off work this week and we wanted to spend some time together (maybe even go away for a few days) before my placement next week. But now I have to be in Swansea every day this week. :mad::banghead:
Massive hug @LooperCat So wrong to stick in stuff in the exam as a googly ball but good that you're challenging the outcome. Hope snuffles and throat and BG is OK

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Massive hug @LooperCat So wrong to stick in stuff in the exam as a googly ball but good that you're challenging the outcome. Hope snuffles and throat and BG is OK

Thanks lovely. I think the thing I’m most cross about is the lost downtime, I’m going to be absolutely knackered going onto my placement, assuming I even get that far. I’m trying to look at it as a chance to have two days really intense extra practical training, but it’s hard not to be peed off. I feel like I was set up to fail when they specifically said there wouldn’t be trick questions and they weren’t trying to catch us out. Only one person that got given that tricky one spotted it (I think there were 6-7 of us) it, and he was a high level army combat medic before. The rest of us failed. Looking at my assessment sheets, I aced everything else though, so there’s that.

At least my diabetes is still cured though. Or in remission. Or something. :rolleyes::smug:

ACBBCDAA-9278-49AB-B76A-1DB6991DC222.jpeg

Reactions: porl69 and SueJB

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

Diabetes has been a bit naughty lately, I've woken up on a slight high reading at 11.5 and hormones are doing something. Work is making me sigh really hard, even more hard when I'm on my period. I have an area manager who doesn't care about the environment, we're still using plastic straws and cocktail mixers etc. My manager is convinced we recycle all the plastic bottles but I've witnessed paper boxes and glass bottles being recycled (we take the rubbish out at the end of the night). So I couldn't be bothered saying no plastic doesn't get recycled. Around 5-6 people are walking around coughing and with the sniffles, we were instructed if anyone is sick, don't come in. But heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy now I'm unwell. let me sigh one more time. I also have someone at work who just doesn't like me, but she hangs out with me during my break and she openly talks about another work colleague to her friend on the phone, calling him "dumb" and saying she makes everyone do her work for her and being "dumb" for falling for it. Yesterday she set up 3 tables and then proceeds on to pushing everyone else to do the work she couldn't be bothered to do. I do work in a group of people with mixed age ranges but the ones that are quite young do imply that I'm "very" old. Apparently me being stingy with my money is considered being old because they don't have bills to pay and what not. I'm like I just want to buy food for my bf and I so we don't starve. I could barely afford to pay my phone contract and netflix but now I can so I talk to my mummy everyday and that's very nice for me because I haven't seen them for ages. But hey, they don't have to understand, I just do me and get on with what I have to do y'know.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I just thought I would like to share with you on how I control myself when eating a curry.
I have just started using the new Medtronic pump which has again improved my lifestyle on insulin. I
just want to demonstrate that it is possible to have the odd high carb meal if judged and controlled
correctly. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/how-i-control-having-a-curry.2562/

Hi @Gary61 I never have any luck with curry night.

I will have some pakoras and a small piece of nan bread, no rice, as well as my fav chicken balti. I also have a medtronic pump and dose for around 70g of carbs. take about 60 % up front and the remainder over 4 hours. I will go to bed at a decent Bg , say 6.5 but during night this will rise and I usually end up BG 14+ so need correction dose.

Could I be underestimating carbs

Any other suggestions

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@smc4761 It sounds like the fat content is really delaying absorption. Usually I don’t do high fat but when I do I mostly just have to split my insulin in thirds over an hour to hour and half. But if it’s high protein and high fat lower carb, half my dose with extra for the protein has to be given a few hours later. I don’t do curries so I’m not sure what’s in it. But if you’re always going up later you don’t have enough insulin to deal with something later. I know some low carbers dose for half of protein and fat. But I think if it’s higher carbs you don’t have to dose as much as they do.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@LooperCat maybe you weren’t setup to fail but setup to expect the unexpected? IRL nothing is as straight forward as it first seems - and don’t we know it! :wacky:

BGs have been good, dog however......didn’t think he was going to get through friday night, not sure what it was but seems to have recovered - just about.

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
SELFISHNESS AND GREEDY PEOPLE :)
Sorry, this is nothing to do with the current posts, but a need to know topic! I have type 1 diabetes and MS, also a lot of arthritis in my spine. I know, like millions of people CBD oil has been recommended by a close relative who has been able to stop pain killers because of the success of the oil. Has anybody here, who has a lot of pain, tried it? Carol x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Sorry, this is nothing to do with the current posts, but a need to know topic! I have type 1 diabetes and MS, also a lot of arthritis in my spine. I know, like millions of people CBD oil has been recommended by a close relative who has been able to stop pain killers because of the success of the oil. Has anybody here, who has a lot of pain, tried it? Carol x
Hi Carol,
Try a search for CBD oil in the top search par. There have been quite a few threads on it.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@LooperCat maybe you weren’t setup to fail but setup to expect the unexpected? IRL nothing is as straight forward as it first seems - and don’t we know it! :wacky:

BGs have been good, dog however......didn’t think he was going to get through friday night, not sure what it was but seems to have recovered - just about.
Yeah, I’m trying to be pragmatic about it, but it seems that a small proportion of the class were given a heads up beforehand about this sneaky heart monitor rhythm, and only a few of us were given this particular trick question. Most people had very simple, easily identifiable ones and some of the people that misidentified it in the exam were asked “is it?” or “are you sure?” when they gave the wrong answer, whereas I wasn’t. I’m just hacked off that the process was so variable - we should all have been given the same thing to assess in my view.

Diabetes still cured, though. 100% in range for the last 36 hours :smug:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Carol,

Don't worry, this thread can go in any direction..?

Here's a link to a thread & more importantly a program featured that may help regarding an informed choice for pain managment. (There are a fair few other topics on this subject too.)

Hope this helps! https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cannabis-miracle-medicine-or-dangerous-drug-bbc2.167784/

Kind regards,

J>

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Back to usual routines.... extra insulin for organ playing Sunday Mornings! Still, I've now got a note to myself to remind me to do this.

Also about to get back to my more normal kinds of walking. My feet have appreciated the last two weeks as being more restful for them, so, as I'm still doing enough to feel the benefit on both me and blood sugars, I'm abandoning one of this year's walking targets as I know I'm not going to meet it. Plus, there are some other things I want to do which could easily be done if I get back an hour or so a day. The one that was calculated around my commute to work number of steps is still perfectly doable and I'm keeping that one!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Afternoon all,
Is it raining where you are? Not feeling well, a bit quanked, so need to kick myself and stop feeling sorry for myself. Having said that, I've poached some pears, they look gross but will taste magic especially with the clotted cream I bought. Because it's miserable, grey and just generally yuck, I'm doing a high carb steak and kidney pud that I was going to do yesterday

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I ironed for the first time this year! Usually save it for weddings and funerals - not had either but the child needs to look smart.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fabulous 10 days in Norfolk. Lots of lovely food eaten (many carbs involved) levels excellent. Nearly 50 miles walked. Lots of fab birds seen, yummy wine drunk and a few books read. All good! Have not been well for 2 months one way or another and this has made me feel really chilled and positive. Everything packed ready to get off home early tomorrow, had a piece of toast and half my back tooth sheers off. For goodness sake! Have a busy couple of weeks coming up and now got to spend time and excessive money at the dentists grr..!