95% chocolate at Lidl

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the higher up the % you go, the harder it is to go back down. Been on the 90% Lindt, one square a day for about 3 years. The local Tesco Express have it on offer every few weeks. However got a few bars of the 95% Lidl one and now find the 90% too sweet. Our taste buds can definitely alter. Shall stock up as it is a very good price.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am ok with 90% chocolates and have a square every day. Although I like Montezuma’s 100% Absolute Black, it gives me a touch of Montezuma's revenge and so cannot eat it!

Interesting you should say that about Montezuma’s revenge. It’s only occurred to me this week that the occasional stomach cramps I’ve had, have been after I’ve over indulged in the Absolute Black. One or 2 squares are fine so I’m having to learn moderation!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Found my self out side the local lidl this morning so nipped in and got a couple of bars.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I'm finding out that all chocolate gives me montezuma's revenge so only tend to have it when laxio and biscodyl have stopped working, but I see a trip to Lidl in my future, thank you!

Lawrence73

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cricket, rugby
You’re right, they do vary considerably, but those seem very high. What percentage cocoa were they?

Montezuma’s 100% run at about 9%/g; same for Hotel Chocolat 100%
Lindt 90% = 14g
Aldi Moser Roth 85g = 18g
Sainsbury’s 85g = 16g

There are others, but those are the most easily available
Please could you recommend in the UK not online, where I can buy sugar free chocolate chips or similar for cooking (adding to biscuits/cookies) or is it easier just to buy a sugar free chocolate bar and chop into small chunks?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Thanks @Resurgam I was going to get down there and buy a goose (I saw they were from Hungary last time I was there)
I like the sound and price of the choc.
Can I steal your thread for a mo and ask if anyone has tried this?
willies-cacao-logo.png

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @Resurgam I was going to get down there and buy a goose (I saw they were from Hungary last time I was there)
I like the sound and price of the choc.
View attachment 36593
No is it any good? I have a brownie recipe that asks for unsweetened chocolate chips that I want to try so interested to know where to get them from. :smug:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe they will bring in more, and perhaps get the message that there is a market for the lower carb end of its ranges, bit by bit. They must have software which shows up popular purchases.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please could you recommend in the UK not online, where I can buy sugar free chocolate chips or similar for cooking (adding to biscuits/cookies) or is it easier just to buy a sugar free chocolate bar and chop into small chunks?

I tend not to buy the products marketed as ‘sugar-free’ as they’re often more carb laden than the alternatives. Of the options described on this thread, most are available from the larger supermarkets. If you’re already using sugar free chocolate bars then just chopping one up for baking would be a simple solution. Also check out the baking aisles in supermarkets for high % cocoa drops for cooking.

willies-cacao-logo-png.36593

Yes, I have. The 100% gold is pretty hardcore but good. Have also tried their Rio Caribe 72% Venezuelan bar (carried by Caffè Nero as well as in supermarkets).Thats good, but on the sweet side and a bit carby for me. On the other hand, the equivalent in drops were delicious in low carb chocolate chip cookies https://www.williescacao.com/produc...n-72-single-estate-couverture-dark-chocolate/

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Is there a genetic component as to whether you will like high cocoa chocolate?

I just can't eat any of it. I find the taste of it so awful I wont buy it anymore.

I know there are some foods where genetics determines how you perceive the taste, such as broccoli, so I was wondering if the same might explain why I can't eat high cocoa chocolate.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Is there a genetic component as to whether you will like high cocoa chocolate?

I just can't eat any of it. I find the taste of it so awful I wont buy it anymore.

I know there are some foods where genetics determines how you perceive the taste, such as broccoli, so I was wondering if the same might explain why I can't eat high cocoa chocolate.
Don't know about genetics but I can't tolerate white or milk chocolate, never had. Mind you, something completely different, I'm highly allergic to all forms of pepper so that makes eating out fun. Tonight my beloved treated himself to Waitrose chilli con carne, then inadvertently had a taste of my water. Now he's had to get a clean glass for me and the other goes in the dishwasher two or three times before I use it. He's also now banned from coming near me all night and most of tomorrow, no goodnight kiss for me!

Reactions: Inchindown

RJW_Lon_29

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
The Lidl 95 percent cocoa one is quite low - 12 or 13 percent carbs if I remember correctly.
Hi All,
My mother who is a diabetic and lactose intolerant, found that Lindt 70% Cocoa dark chocolate to be the best for diabetics, as Lindt any higher percentage of cocoa too bitter or too strong. As matter of interest, does the LIDL. Chocolate have any flavour.? I like dark chocolate that has flavour. Otherwise it is too bitter for my liking.
Thank you
Regards, RJW_LON_29

Metforman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On a slightly different note has anyone managed to get any of the Heavenly Chocolate range featured on Dragons Den in September? It has been developed specifically for the owners diabetic daughter, I have ordered but not yet received the chocolate as the company received 7 months orders in less than a week and the website crashed!

Reactions: DJC3

Metforman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bit of an update, the chocolate was developed as a low sugar alternative not specifically for diabetics, I mis remembered the information in the original programme!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On a slightly different note has anyone managed to get any of the Heavenly Chocolate range featured on Dragons Den in September? It has been developed specifically for the owners diabetic daughter, I have ordered but not yet received the chocolate as the company received 7 months orders in less than a week and the website crashed!

Pretty high carb looking at the nutritional information.

juneHamp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just a heads up - Lidl have got very high cocoa chocolate on sale - I believe it is £1.39 for a 125gm bar.
I suggest stocking up if you like it, as the intel is that it only appears in the run up to Christmas and then vanishes away.....
I’ve found a fantastic low sugar chocolate - milk and dark - it doesn’t affect my blood sugars at all!! It’s from Pure Heavenly Chocolate - order it online.

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The co-op’s 85% black chocolate is actually quite nice. I try to limit myself to one or two squares and certainly not every day. But I do make a fat bomb that contains 85% chocolate, coconut oil, cacao nibs and nuts