95% chocolate at Lidl

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh grief - polyols - I overindulged and thought that I was going to become Geography - so bloated it was really painful.

Oleblueeyes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You’re right, they do vary considerably, but those seem very high. What percentage cocoa were they?

Montezuma’s 100% run at about 9%/g; same for Hotel Chocolat 100%
Lindt 90% = 14g
Aldi Moser Roth 85g = 18g
Sainsbury’s 85g = 16g

There are others, but those are the most easily available
Another heads up! Currently Aldi are selling dark chocolate bar branded as ‘Choc o low’ by Diary Fine with 80% less sugar!
Carbs per 100grmms are 40 and 7.9grmms per two squares. Minimum 70% cocoa solids. They also sell a milk version but the readings are a bit higher total carbs 54grmms 11grmms per two squares.34% cocoa solids. It also comes in a very handy 2/3 square size too! Just right for taking into your local coffee shop to be a little naughty with!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I am so glad that I don't crave chocolate. I find the 80% chocolate awful. I tried a piece once, and the chocolate took ages to melt lol. YUK

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just come back from Lidl and nobody could find the chocolate. @Resurgam could you post a picture of it if you still have a bar?
@Oleblueseyes have you tried Aldi Moser Roth 85% chocolate? It comes in a 125g packet of little 25g bars, each bar is 4.6g carbs.

Reactions: jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just come back from Lidl and nobody could find the chocolate. @Resurgam could you post a picture of it if you still have a bar?
@Oleblueseyes have you tried Aldi Moser Roth 85% chocolate? It comes in a 125g packet of little 25g bars, each bar is 4.6g carbs.

Attachments

• 67652359-A0CD-4D91-A48B-7AAB638AF10A.jpeg
    67652359-A0CD-4D91-A48B-7AAB638AF10A.jpeg
    745 KB · Views: 369
Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you. I saw some Arriba chocolate there but not 95% I’ll have to go back next week. They didn’t have the cheese advent calendar I wanted either, sadly.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Thank you. I saw some Arriba chocolate there but not 95% I’ll have to go back next week. They didn’t have the cheese advent calendar I wanted either, sadly.
Cheese advent calendars? Sounds good.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Other than all those above - and yes I found the Lidl one this week- is Cavalier Belgian chocolatier 85% with Stevia. It is difficult to find but delicious . Carbs 18.7g per 100g but that includes polyols 8.7g.
Now why has no one mentioned Aldi's 85% which is always on sale. Can't give you the carbs (but they won't be high otherwise I wouldn't have bought it) because I don't have any in at the moment as bought Montezuma's 100% with orange and cocoa nibs from Amazon in a 3 pack. OK it was expensive but I have never seen it in a shop and it makes a pleasant change!!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Other than all those above - and yes I found the Lidl one this week- is Cavalier Belgian chocolatier 85% with Stevia. It is difficult to find but delicious . Carbs 18.7g per 100g but that includes polyols 8.7g.
Now why has no one mentioned Aldi's 85% which is always on sale. Can't give you the carbs (but they won't be high otherwise I wouldn't have bought it) because I don't have any in at the moment as bought Montezuma's 100% with orange and cocoa nibs from Amazon in a 3 pack. OK it was expensive but I have never seen it in a shop and it makes a pleasant change!!

I mentioned it - post 44 above. Moser Roth and only 4.6g carbs for an individual bar. I agree it’s great.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes what a good idea, they said they’d only had a few in though and they seem to have disappeared very quickly so I hope they get more.
I'm going to drag my beloved there's tomorrow especially as I have a £10 off coupon when spending £40 from the Mail this morning!

Mylrea10

Anything about 85% is horrible! Just gloops in your mouth.
I get my chocolate fix with Hershey’s 100% cocoa with a big dollop of skinny sauce chocolate fudge - 3grams of carbs and no sugar per cup and once you master it it’s a very good hot chocolate
I recently discovered there's a technique to eating very high cocoa chocolate - if you gently suck the square rather than chew it it releases the most amazing tastes rather than just glooping in your mouth. Try it :)

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's one to try then although I have no trouble chomping on very dark chocolate but sucking would restrict you to one square for longer. Thank you another excellent tip!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Growing up in Kenya we didn't have much chocolate although one Christmas Daddy found a tin of Black Magic in Nairobi. He brought it back to Mombasa hidden in his luggage and gave it to Mummy for Christmas. She opened it and found each piece had a dusting of white on top. We were all a bit gutted as we thought it had gone off, this was well before best before dates. She sent the tin and contents back to Cadburys/Rowntree whoever with her complaint. Eventually a large parcel came home with Daddy one day from the manufacturer. Mummy hurriedly opened it to find 12 tins of Black Magic, she opened a tin and said that they were all still mouldy and was rather upset. Daddy then read it he accompanying letter which explained that the white was a special tasteless cover they put on their tropical exports to stop them from melting into a sludge on the journey and on the shelf. The first tin was demolished between the four of us before we went to bed that night after deciding that we would open one of the remaining tins at the end of each month, however I think the lot had gone by April! :smug:

Dorothee Cape

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh grief - polyols - I overindulged and thought that I was going to become Geography - so bloated it was really painful.

CAUTION - CARBS ARE DOUBLE WHAT IS STATED ON THE PACKET

We supply food to diabetics so need to check every ingredient we use. The packaging on the pack we bought from Aldi (in the UK) does not have the correct nutritional information. There is an easy check to verify if the fat, carbs and proteins have been correctly stated.
Fat contributes 9 calories per gram
Carbs 4 calories per gram
Protein 4 calories per gram
Total Calories = (Fat x 9)+(Carbs x 4)+(Protein x 4)

The information stated on the pack is as follows: Per 100g
Calories. 608
Fat 51g
Carbohydrates. 18g
Protein. 11g

Using the above equation for fat, carbs and calories :
Calories = (51 x 9) + (18 x 4) + (11 x 4) = 459 + 72 + 44 = 575 calories
This means that at least one of the nutritions stated must be incorrect.

Looking on line, amazon US, sell the same product with the nutritions as follows per 100g -
Calories. 640
Fat 50g
Carbohydrates. 36g - DOUBLE AMOUBT STATED ON THE PACK IN THE UK
Protein. 12g
(50 x 9) + (36 x 4) + (12 x 4) = 642 - This makes sense and allows for some rounding.

So the carbs per 25g bar are 9g of which sugar = 7g.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to make my own 100% chocolate using cacoa butter and cocoa powder. Barely had any measurable effect on blood glucose. Likewise Montezuma's Absolute Black.
My favourite is Hotel Chocolat's 100% chocolate drops, carbs 10.4g per 100g. They work out cheaper than the Montezuma's bars and obviously I don't have to face the challenge of breaking them up. I doubt if I would enjoy less than 100% now. I signed up for a membership card and every so often they send me a money off coupon, which makes them even better value. https://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/100-dark-chocolate-drops.html

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Try ASDA they had some in my local one tonight.
Thank you Daphne917. My carer went to our nearest Asda this afternoon and said that most of the shelves were empty, she had to finish up her shopping in Tesco's on the way home. I don't think I've been in an Asda for four or five years, my beloved does most of the top up shopping we need in his lunch break and a nice man from Waitrose brings the big shop. But I do like the sound of a cheese advent calendar, we've got a dog one ready for dog, two cat ones for my carer's cats but I'm pretty sure we haven't got one for us yet. We really thought we'd be in our new home by now, it's very frustrating especially as we are only waiting for the decorators to go back in and finish then the carpet people.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a cheese one in Asda today @Daphne917
And @Norfolkmel btwI loved your Black Magic story.
@Alexandra100 I agree the Hotel Chocolate 100% drops are my favourite too. @shelley262 recently posted elsewhere about their Christmas release of chocolate cream drink which is zero carbs!

Reactions: Daphne917

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I got a cheese one in Asda today @Daphne917
And @Norfolkmel btwI loved your Black Magic story.
@Alexandra100 I agree the Hotel Chocolate 100% drops are my favourite too. @shelley262 recently posted elsewhere about their Christmas release of chocolate cream drink which is zero carbs!
Thank you DJC. I should write a book about my Mother's experiences abroad, I might even start it once we've moved. My parents were the first ones of their friends and family to go abroad and live overseas. My grandparents had never even left the county that they were born in. My Brother and I had so much fun with them. Mum keep all our letters to them and copies she wrote to us when we were away at school, up country and back in England. Plus her letters to her sisters which told how really scared she was of everything in Kenya. But she was rather brave in other things, she didn't drive so she would catch the local bus into town, frequently having to step over the holes in the floor of the bus in the aisles and by the seats, and she would either share her seat with someone's goats or chicken or the owners and by the time they got into town she would be firm friends with everyone. Happy days.