95% chocolate at Lidl

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a heads up - Lidl have got very high cocoa chocolate on sale - I believe it is £1.39 for a 125gm bar.
I suggest stocking up if you like it, as the intel is that it only appears in the run up to Christmas and then vanishes away.....

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I haven't seen the label on the Lidl chocolate, but from reading those on other high cocoa chocolate bars I noticed that they vary considerably. The lowest per 100gms was one my wife bought on trip to Russia which came in at 25gms of Carbs per 100gms. Next was a bar given to use by friends who had returned from a cruise on the river Rhine (at 27gms per 100).

Many of the ones I have seen in the UK supermarkets shown 37gms per 100gms or even higher. - So please check that carbs on the label!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The Lidl 95 percent cocoa one is quite low - 12 or 13 percent carbs if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't seen the label on the Lidl chocolate, but from reading those on other high cocoa chocolate bars I noticed that they vary considerably. The lowest per 100gms was one my wife bought on trip to Russia which came in at 25gms of Carbs per 100gms. Next was a bar given to use by friends who had returned from a cruise on the river Rhine (at 27gms per 100).

Many of the ones I have seen in the UK supermarkets shown 37gms per 100gms or even higher. - So please check that carbs on the label!

You’re right, they do vary considerably, but those seem very high. What percentage cocoa were they?

Montezuma’s 100% run at about 9%/g; same for Hotel Chocolat 100%
Lindt 90% = 14g
Aldi Moser Roth 85g = 18g
Sainsbury’s 85g = 16g

There are others, but those are the most easily available

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re right, they do vary considerably, but those seem very high. What percentage cocoa were they?

Lindt 90% = 14g
Sainsbury’s 85g = 16g

Montezumas 100% absolute black is winner at 8g of carb per 100% they also do one with orange oil -delicious - also at 8g.
@Resurgam feel a trip to Lidl coming along I stocked up on their bars last christmas and remember enjoying them and being annoyed they didn’t carry on stocking them as they are a good price and lovely choc too. Montezumas tend to be 2.60 ish per bar although Sainsbury’s has had offers in past!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Unfortunately I have gained a liking for the Co-Op Dark Chocolate with Raspberry bars though it is only 57% cocoa two squares are about 11 gm of carb though I normally with great effort limit myself to one square at most.

It is delicious

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Lindt 90% = 14g
Sainsbury’s 85g = 16g

Thanks @Goonergal,
The ones I was looking at were 90% and 95% , but obviously have high sugar.
I have just checked and we have some Lindt 90% in the house and it says 14gms per 100 just as you say.

Reactions: jjraak

Paulm80

Anything about 85% is horrible! Just gloops in your mouth.
I get my chocolate fix with Hershey’s 100% cocoa with a big dollop of skinny sauce chocolate fudge - 3grams of carbs and no sugar per cup and once you master it it’s a very good hot chocolate

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is something you get used to - and it also seems to reduce the need for more - I can cheerfully eat a single square of high cocoa chocolate. It does add to desserts to grate a little dark chocolate over the berries and cream or sugar free jelly concoction.

Paulm80

It is something you get used to - and it also seems to reduce the need for more - I can cheerfully eat a single square of high cocoa chocolate. It does add to desserts to grate a little dark chocolate over the berries and cream or sugar free jelly concoction.

Yeah I can see the whole grating thing would be nice , 85% seems to have very little impact on my bg, as long as I only have half the bar

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl’s 95% JD Gross “Arriba” chocolate is 12.7g/100. I bought some today. I am not yet evolved enough to eat it and will stick to 85%

Brandyman

The lowest sugar chocolate I've found is Belgian "Balance" which includes stevia instead of sugar. The sugar content is only 1.4 gms per 100 gms and the taste is pretty good.

Reactions: Lawrence73

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: jjraak

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you
I have avoided my local lidl, since they made it less accessible during this year's refit. Not something I forgive. Not rebuilding old /historic places is fine, failed to improve and missing chances during rebuilfs/refits is annoying, but actively taking a partly accessible shop and making it inaccessible for me - no.
However, I might be tempted to ask someone to buy a few of these for me.

Reactions: ringi

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a heads up - Lidl have got very high cocoa chocolate on sale - I believe it is £1.39 for a 125gm bar.
I suggest stocking up if you like it, as the intel is that it only appears in the run up to Christmas and then vanishes away.....

Thank you. I will definitely be popping into Lidl next week now.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am ok with 90% chocolates and have a square every day. Although I like Montezuma’s 100% Absolute Black, it gives me a touch of Montezuma's revenge and so cannot eat it!