1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

95% chocolate at Lidl

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Resurgam, Nov 3, 2019.

1. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find the higher up the % you go, the harder it is to go back down. Been on the 90% Lindt, one square a day for about 3 years. The local Tesco Express have it on offer every few weeks. However got a few bars of the 95% Lidl one and now find the 90% too sweet. Our taste buds can definitely alter. Shall stock up as it is a very good price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Interesting you should say that about Montezuma’s revenge. It’s only occurred to me this week that the occasional stomach cramps I’ve had, have been after I’ve over indulged in the Absolute Black. One or 2 squares are fine so I’m having to learn moderation!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Found my self out side the local lidl this morning so nipped in and got a couple of bars.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Norfolkmell

Norfolkmell Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm finding out that all chocolate gives me montezuma's revenge so only tend to have it when laxio and biscodyl have stopped working, but I see a trip to Lidl in my future, thank you!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Lawrence73

Lawrence73 · Newbie

Please could you recommend in the UK not online, where I can buy sugar free chocolate chips or similar for cooking (adding to biscuits/cookies) or is it easier just to buy a sugar free chocolate bar and chop into small chunks?

6. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks @Resurgam I was going to get down there and buy a goose (I saw they were from Hungary last time I was there)
    I like the sound and price of the choc.
    Can I steal your thread for a mo and ask if anyone has tried this?
    willies-cacao-logo.png

7. Norfolkmell

No is it any good? I have a brownie recipe that asks for unsweetened chocolate chips that I want to try so interested to know where to get them from. :smug:

8. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No 95% left at Lidls ☹️

• Hug Hug x 1
  9. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hope there are some in mine @becca59, going tomorrow

10. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Maybe they will bring in more, and perhaps get the message that there is a market for the lower carb end of its ranges, bit by bit. They must have software which shows up popular purchases.

11. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I tend not to buy the products marketed as ‘sugar-free’ as they’re often more carb laden than the alternatives. Of the options described on this thread, most are available from the larger supermarkets. If you’re already using sugar free chocolate bars then just chopping one up for baking would be a simple solution. Also check out the baking aisles in supermarkets for high % cocoa drops for cooking.

Yes, I have. The 100% gold is pretty hardcore but good. Have also tried their Rio Caribe 72% Venezuelan bar (carried by Caffè Nero as well as in supermarkets).Thats good, but on the sweet side and a bit carby for me. On the other hand, the equivalent in drops were delicious in low carb chocolate chip cookies https://www.williescacao.com/produc...n-72-single-estate-couverture-dark-chocolate/

12. Inchindown

Inchindown Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Is there a genetic component as to whether you will like high cocoa chocolate?

I just can't eat any of it. I find the taste of it so awful I wont buy it anymore.

I know there are some foods where genetics determines how you perceive the taste, such as broccoli, so I was wondering if the same might explain why I can't eat high cocoa chocolate.

13. Norfolkmell

Don't know about genetics but I can't tolerate white or milk chocolate, never had. Mind you, something completely different, I'm highly allergic to all forms of pepper so that makes eating out fun. Tonight my beloved treated himself to Waitrose chilli con carne, then inadvertently had a taste of my water. Now he's had to get a clean glass for me and the other goes in the dishwasher two or three times before I use it. He's also now banned from coming near me all night and most of tomorrow, no goodnight kiss for me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. RJW_Lon_29

RJW_Lon_29 Prediabetes · Member

Hi All,
    My mother who is a diabetic and lactose intolerant, found that Lindt 70% Cocoa dark chocolate to be the best for diabetics, as Lindt any higher percentage of cocoa too bitter or too strong. As matter of interest, does the LIDL. Chocolate have any flavour.? I like dark chocolate that has flavour. Otherwise it is too bitter for my liking.
    Thank you
    Regards, RJW_LON_29

15. Metforman

Metforman Type 2 · Member

On a slightly different note has anyone managed to get any of the Heavenly Chocolate range featured on Dragons Den in September? It has been developed specifically for the owners diabetic daughter, I have ordered but not yet received the chocolate as the company received 7 months orders in less than a week and the website crashed!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Metforman

Metforman Type 2 · Member

Bit of an update, the chocolate was developed as a low sugar alternative not specifically for diabetics, I mis remembered the information in the original programme!

17. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Pretty high carb looking at the nutritional information.

18. juneHamp

juneHamp Type 1 · Newbie

I’ve found a fantastic low sugar chocolate - milk and dark - it doesn’t affect my blood sugars at all!! It’s from Pure Heavenly Chocolate - order it online.

19. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It’s high-carb but it appears to be full of polyols, which probably explains the numbers. Personally I wouldn’t touch it.

20. Damtov8

Damtov8 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The co-op’s 85% black chocolate is actually quite nice. I try to limit myself to one or two squares and certainly not every day. But I do make a fat bomb that contains 85% chocolate, coconut oil, cacao nibs and nuts

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook