JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I use both steroid ointment and a steroid inhaler but have been told that neither are absorbed in sufficient quantities to affect blood sugars.
That is not what my GP told me he took me off my steroid inhaler because coupled with the preds he thought the adverse effects including higher blood sugar levels would be worsened .

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is not what my GP told me he took me off my steroid inhaler because coupled with the preds he thought the adverse effects including higher blood sugar levels would be worsened .
I guess as individuals we just have to test and see what happens, I did think it was a coincidence that my diabetes diagnosis came four months after I started on a steroid inhaler though!
The steroid ointment I have to use regularly was started two years after my type 2 diagnosis and hasn’t affected my readings.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many times over the last four years I have posted in response to situations like the OP posted originally, where claims are being made for full remission of T2D by adopting the vegan WOE. I do not intend repeating all that again, but I offer the following suggestions for you to do your own research.

Firstly I suggest you go back to the person introducing you to this plan to see what evidence they can offer in support of their claims. You will probably receive one or more glossy video presentations and internal promotional materials or be encouraged to purchase at great expense a book or books or to subscribe to a course of instructions again at high cost.
I personally ignore these obvious marketing ploys and repeat my request for the evidence being used to justify the claims. i.e. what scientific studies are referenced, where are they archived etc. Normally this is met by a wall of silence, and after 4 years of trying I have to say that to date I have not received a single valid piece of evidence that supports those claims.

The second point I should advise you to do is to apply due diligence in looking at the diet plan being used, since one aspect the in-house promotional literature will avoid is any discussion of nutrition shortcomings in the diet. I am talking the essential vitamins A, B12, D3, K2 and other nutrients such as choline and carnitine that an animal protein supplies, but which are difficult to source from a plant based diet. Even protein can be difficult to to source reliably. One gap that occurs between animal and plant sources is that animal nutrients are more biovalent and concentrated meaning easy to obtain and absorb in an omnivore diet, but which require special attention to get the RDA needed from plant based. Many vegan products have to be fortified specially to make up for these deficiencies. These are classed as essential nutrients for a reason and as such have significant impact on health if they are missing in the long term. Other less essential but also problematic if not sourced properly in the diet are iron, calcium, where the vegan equivalents are not as easily absorbed by our bodies. For example, spinach is noted to be rich in iron, but the plant has a protection mechanism that stops us using it for our needs - Popeye was wrong- and even the vegetable fats (omega 6) are not as good for us as the animal oils (omega3/6). One side effect of this is that a well known MLM operation selling vitamin supplements is also heavily pushing the Michael Greger cookbook (the person I know doing this business tried to convert me a year ago, but she is now an omnivore again and a low carber to boot, but still promoting the vegan message)

The last observation I have made in the past is that there have been many promoters of this message on this forum, but who refuse to share any personal experiences here. There are vegetarians here in the forum who do post their experiences, but generally these tend to be insulin users rather than T2D on orals and lifestyle. So I think that to claim remission for that latter category of members here is unproven so far (IMHO)

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I use both steroid ointment and a steroid inhaler but have been told that neither are absorbed in sufficient quantities to affect blood sugars.

I only read recently that the steroid inhaler I was taking could affect blood sugar. I haven't been on it long enough to be affecting mine. The steroid cream I've been using for years, but it's probably more the oral steroids like prednisolone that are the real problem, isn't it?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
The last observation I have made in the past is that there have been many promoters of this message on this forum, but who refuse to share any personal experiences here. There are vegetarians here in the forum who do post their experiences, but generally these tend to be insulin users rather than T2D on orals and lifestyle. So I think that to claim remission for that latter category of members here is unproven so far (IMHO)

You make some very good points and this last part is what I was wondering about. I was looking through to see if anyone who is vegetarian lists their HbA1c over a period of time showing how they have normalised it on a vegetarian diet. I haven't been looking long but I haven't found any yet.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You make some very good points and this last part is what I was wondering about. I was looking through to see if anyone who is vegetarian lists their HbA1c over a period of time showing how they have normalised it on a vegetarian diet. I haven't been looking long but I haven't found any yet.
According to Barnard no-one who eats vegetarian or vegan could ever develop T2 so....

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

I was taking Symbicort and it does say this about it:

"This medicine may affect blood sugar and potassium levels. If you notice a change in the results of your blood or urine sugar or potassium tests or if you have any questions, check with your doctor."

https://www.drugs.com/cons/symbicort.html

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too went through the Success Stories thread from end to end, and had a similar null pointes conclusion. People in control but no remissions being declared for T2D. Maybe my post here will prompt some responses to that effect.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to Barnard no-one who eats vegetarian or vegan could ever develop T2 so....
Was it Barnard who declared eggs to be the Devils Spawn? I forget which guru is was that forbids eggs on health grounds as opposed to animal rights grounds.

I have had long discussions with Mormons who generally follow a vegetarian diet, and they are seeing a huge increase in T2D among their congregation. I alnost converted them to LCHF in the process, and they took my cribsheet/diet plan details away with them to the USA. Who knows if that seed will germinate anything?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

You know, the problem is that people call themselves vegan and aren't necessarily eating that many vegetables... I had an au pair from Italy last year who only stayed for 2 weeks. She told me she was vegan after she arrived. I thought, poor thing, you've landed in a house with one of the biggest meat eaters I have known (my husband)...

Anyway, I watched what she was eating while she was here. She did once or twice make a dish with some vegetables in it. But otherwise she subsisted on peanut butter and jam sandwiches. And sometimes that was all she was eating for the whole day - one little sandwich in the morning! She was starving herself. I actually think she had an eating disorder but was going around calling herself vegan.

Another vegetarian I knew was eating a few veggies here and there but filling up on pasta and rice and other such grains. Plus some of them eat sweets and all the naughty food like anyone else on a SAD.

Do you think vegetarians who eat a "clean" diet of vegetables, fruit, nuts, cheese, yoghurt, eggs, olive oil, (even fish?) would get diabetes? I think it's all the processed grains that are the problem, isn't it?

With vegans, I think, there is some clever social engineering going on. I mean, you can survive for a long time on vegetables alone. I was just watching some documentary of poor Chinese villagers who live off mostly white potatoes, and they somehow survive into old age... I'm not sure how healthy they are or how long they really live but they are all out in the fields working hard and not eating a great variety.
But I think the push to encourage people to be vegan is so that someone else can take the meat. Even if you choose not to eat meat, it will still be farmed in your country most likely and just exported to the places that want it. The damage to the environment will still happen. China already owns a great number of farms in Australia, for example, and they would be sending meat back to China for sure. Most of the best cuts of meat probably never arrive on an average Australian's dinner plate. I know that's what's happening with "our" seafood. We get the left overs. All the best stuff goes overseas. So why not convince everyone to be vegan and let all of the good animal protein be sent off to other countries who are willing to pay more for it? Clever ploy?

The difference is in our programming. I first noticed that cultural difference if you will when I was on a reef trip with some Japanese students. We went on a glass bottom boat to see all the beautiful reef fish. I was looking at the fish with wonder - all the colours and shapes and sizes. My students were looking at them and said "Yum!" It didn't occur to me to think of them in terms of food. I guess they were more in touch with the reality of where our food comes from... ha ha

Edited by a mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the section of the vforum called diet and nutrition. There is a vegetarian subsection and a vegetarian keto section. Lots of ideas and recipes. Low carb foods are low carb, no matter what type of diabetes the poster has.

Reactions: Cocosilk

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know, the problem is that people call themselves vegan and aren't necessarily eating that many vegetables... I had an au pair from Italy last year who only stayed for 2 weeks. She told me she was vegan after she arrived. I thought, poor thing, you've landed in a house with one of the biggest meat eaters I have known (my husband)...

Anyway, I watched what she was eating while she was here. She did once or twice make a dish with some vegetables in it. But otherwise she subsisted on peanut butter and jam sandwiches. And sometimes that was all she was eating for the whole day - one little sandwich in the morning! She was starving herself. I actually think she had an eating disorder but was going around calling herself vegan.

Another vegetarian I knew was eating a few veggies here and there but filling up on pasta and rice and other such grains. Plus some of them eat sweets and all the naughty food like anyone else on a SAD.

Do you think vegetarians who eat a "clean" diet of vegetables, fruit, nuts, cheese, yoghurt, eggs, olive oil, (even fish?) would get diabetes? I think it's all the processed grains that are the problem, isn't it?

But vegans are definitely misguided if you ask me. There is some clever social engineering going on and they are gullible ones. I mean, you can survive for a long time on vegetables alone. I was just watching some documentary of poor Chinese villagers who live off mostly white potatoes, and they somehow survive into old age... I'm not sure how healthy they are or how long they really live but they are all out in the fields working hard and not eating a great variety.

Vegans do NOT only eat veg. And the success of any low carb diet depends on what foods are chosen, regardless of whether the diet is omnivore, vegan, vegetarian etc

Reactions: JAT1

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Vegans do NOT only eat veg. And the success of any low carb diet depends on what foods are chosen, regardless of whether the diet is omnivore, vegan, vegetarian etc

Well, yes, I know. They eat peanut butter and jam sandwiches apparently. At least the vegan au pair we had was doing that.

I thought being vegan was about eating mostly fruit and vegetables, legumes, grains if you like, but no animal products at all. Do vegans eat dairy products?

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am virtually vegetarian, I have the occasional bit of tuna or chicken.

It is perfectly possible to be vegetarian and low carb, or keto.

People don't talk about it on the forum due to the sneering and disbelief from some here. Why put ourselves up as targets?
I for one am all ears. I welcome alternative views.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was it Barnard who declared eggs to be the Devils Spawn? I forget which guru is was that forbids eggs on health grounds as opposed to animal rights grounds.

I have had long discussions with Mormons who generally follow a vegetarian diet, and they are seeing a huge increase in T2D among their congregation. I alnost converted them to LCHF in the process, and they took my cribsheet/diet plan details away with them to the USA. Who knows if that seed will germinate anything?
No that was the stick man Greger.. one egg as bad as 5 cigarettes..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"Vegans do NOT only eat veg."

"One thing all vegans have in common is a plant-based diet avoiding all animal foods such as meat (including fish, shellfish and insects), dairy, eggs and honey - as well as avoiding animal-derived materials, products tested on animals and places that use animals for entertainment."

Edit to add I have no problem with those wishing to follow a vegan diet or life stile it is entirely their own concern except where it harms others .

I however personally would never choose it for myself.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, yes, I know. They eat peanut butter and jam sandwiches apparently. At least the vegan au pair we had was doing that.

I thought being vegan was about eating mostly fruit and vegetables, legumes, grains if you like, but no animal products at all. Do vegans eat dairy products?
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vegan-keto-diet is a good start. Also have a look at the topics here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

some of the posters are type 1, but keto is keto. Low carb is low carb. Still useful and useable for those of us who are not type 1's.

Also, vegans eat nut, tofu, soya proteins.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should add that the way shown in your original post would not, in my opinion, work. There are ways of conducting a diet, as with any diet, and low carbing , of whatever variety, seems to work across the board for us type 2's.

Reactions: Cocosilk