What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
I have been mulling this over for a day or so as I soaked up the rays by the pool @alf_Josiah. Here's my thoughts:: More food and probably carbs for me turns into more watts on cardio and weight lifted in the gym - LC = low power for me whatever others claim. More carbs/food means I retain water so no gout - LC is definitely the cause of that. Leafy salad, seeds and vinaigrette are my go to first choice food then I build around this. Alcohol raises my resting pulse so needs avoiding most of the time ( if I need it to lower bg something is badly wrong) - I was right to avoid it for most of the year. I will always like sweeter foods and real bread and no LC alternative will ever taste right - better not to waste time and effort trying to make them. I had 2 mini croissant and 3 scoops of proper Ice cream this week - off hand I can’t think of any LC food that has tasted better in 4.5 years. I don't think I will ever enjoy LC eating or make it work properly for me and I really don't understand it. Managing bg is highly individual, too many variables and moving parts. Probably should have been a pm but hey ho.

Enjoy your quest to find the right carbs that work for you.

As I have stated several times managing diabetes is like trying to solve a simulataneous equation with an infinite number of unknowns. Good luck to all struggling. I certainly.am.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Saskia and KC that is good to hear. I am so relieved for both of you. The collar thing is difficult but if you can take it off for food thats ok dont really understand wny it would affect her litte tray unless it it stress. Big sigh of relief for both of you!!
Hugs and purrs from us.

Thank you. :) ^. .^

Reactions: HarryBeau

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 today. I’m with you on the croissants and Danish pastries @ianpspurs I was only telling my daughter yesterday about the fabulous apple Danish we used to sell at the bakery where I had my first Saturday job, they were heavenly.
@OldButBold my first smile of the day was brought on by your ‘Life can be a funny old sausage’!
I’m off to see the film Judy ( about Judy Garland) this morning at the old fogeys showing. Free coffee and biscuits for those that want them.
Yesterday I saw the social prescribing nurse at our surgery - they offer some cracking things. I’m getting a 12 week course with a personal trainer then can join a local gym at greatly reduced price. Also an Eden project pass to go whenever I want but they offer social walks for people with various health conditions if I want to meet people. There is also ‘forest craft’ art, yoga, all sorts of stuff, it’s a really good scheme.
Have a great day everyone.
They have the social prescribing to a fine art....brilliant. Wish all surgeries were the same.

Reactions: DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. I am really downhearted today with a 6.5 after another careful day of food culminating with an omelette. I do have stressful situation atm and wish my bg could give me a break. Went to the solor to update my will yesterday and we got onto the need to make Powers of Attorney. I know it makes sense but Hells Bells!
Tomorrow I have my next eye injection to look forward after the last one went so spectacularly wrong. Alright I’ll stop moaning now. At least am going to see No 1 son next week.
Have a great Thursday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.
Definitely stress playing it's part here. I know how it can effect bs as I can see it with my CGM. Have you tried the mindset app PM. Lots swear by it for distressing. It might help. Worth a try.

Reactions: jjraak

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Loved the set up for table..very professional looking.
btw.. where's MY biscuit, Eric....can't just wet our appetite by posting up and NOT send on,,can ya ?...<taps foot in annoyance >...;)

Liking the Freshwell project..
"...As a GP practice who have been advocating a real food, low carb lifestyle to our patients for only a few months,
we continue to be staggered by the health improvements that so many of our patients are achieving so quickly...."

more power to the elbow, i say.

sad about the two retiring over the Others activities.
might be forced on them by GDPR or some such initiative,
and yeah, i'd be curious where the money goes, sure they must have to post up somewhere.

Saw this..and just wondered how much more it would help if they adopted the Low Carb (LCHF model.)..instead of spending out on juices and shakes..do the companies making them give them away for free, i doubt it?
and afterwards.... aren't people then just left to find the next bar on the diabetic trapeze by themselves, to get them,through the next X number of years in their life..?
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/cost-of-remission

And while i am grateful for what care i have been given and the meds..(free :bag:)
i just wonder if i can get a rebate, as i doubt my running costs are anywhere near that...thanks to DCUK.:happy:
Thanks for the link @jjraak , I've followed Elizabeth robertson just today funnily enough on Twitter. She wont be happy!!!

Biscuits, 2 left! I can whip them down to you. Put the kettle on! On second thoughts dont bother, it probably wont suit you!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It a conundrum..it's almost like the Emperors new clothes they just don't want to believe what they say isn't how it really is.

I'm due a review and was gearing myself up for a little verbal combat.
Nothing rude, just to put it out there, that their way is perhaps not the best for me.

Something, @Debandez said in her first stages of dx was she asked for WHO else in the surgery had MATCHED or beaten her downturn in HBA1c, i think the lie came back that it was many...:rolleyes:

Now, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, seems to have come into debs head, so she FOI them to release the details.
and we both KNOW how many patients matched our fearless T2D Warrior Princess......:D

was going to ask, for myself a similar question (genuinely interested )

things is i can see the 10 minute window disappearing as i then get into WHY....

Why does no one want to KNOW.
WHY do we NOT give the choices to everyone.
WHY is a meter NOT deemed suitable ...
even if it is just to inform about the efficacy of them from a REAL LIFE View point,
not some Airy fairy dog poo from people who DO NOT SUFFER this disease.

which is when i think, maybe next time out...:banghead:

So you don't have to take ANYTHING they suggest if YOU feel it's counter productive to YOUR health.
But you know that..but maybe put them on the back foot, & ask how many match YOUR good score?

Shouldn't the MARK of a progressive centre for health care excellence .( .like how their shooting for the moon ..;) )
be how SUCCESSFUL it is managing certain diseases (T2D in this case) as in downward trend of the overall HBA1c numbers of the patients there,
rather then how well it FAILS so many T2D's with the predictable ongoing progression into declining health.

A simple, 8/10 patients get down to pre-diabetic numbers within 2 years..(we can finesse the scores later )
would inspire a LOT more confidence they had scoobies what there doing when it come to T2D
THAT'S the mark of a centre of excellence.

rather then the current... only 3 /10 patients lost a foot in the previous 2 years....:***:

YOU, ME, WE....all deserve better then the dogs dinner we currently get.
as L'oreal say... because We ARE worth it.

Warrior princess! Haha
Yes @jjraak I had an appointment with my dr. Basically asked him what he thought about my reduction due to low carb. 'You could have done it with low cal, others are'. At this point I had infiltrated the surgery by way of joining ppg so took opportunity to email DNs to ask how many had done what I had. Hba1c of 62 to 39 in months really.

The reply was only me apart from bariatric surgery pts. So this was my reply to surgery. Note it was September 18. I had been diagnosed dec 17. I was only told about the local diabetic group at this point which is shocking in itself;

Hi **** (PM)

Many thanks for this. It is incredibly helpful. It confirms that only patients from the practice who have gone through bariatric surgery have put their diabetes into remission. Quite shocking statistics and a travesty. It appears in all the years I'm the only one to have done it which is absolutely incredible. The current NHS guidelines seem very out of kilter. The 1936 diabetic guidelines would give diabetics more of a chance to control their blood sugars i feel (attached). Cutting down on carbs and not just sugars. At the end of the day carbohydrates turn to sugar. It does involve a change of lifestyle and I appreciate it's not easy for many although I found it incredibly easy to change my way of eating to healthier diabetic choices. 'Give diabetes an inch and it takes a foot' did spur me on.

I would love to share my story with any diabetics who are interested in learning more if the DNs are happy for me to do so.
I have an appointment with my diabetic nurse in November and am looking forward to discussing a way forward then. I would like to help as many fellow diabetics as possible as you can imagine. In the meantime maybe you could forward this email to ******* and the team.

I have just arranged an event in Birmingham, with the help of Diabetes.co.uk and their PR team. I managed in a very short space of time to get together a room full of diabetics who have also put their diabetes into remission on a low carb diet in a short space of time (I could have got together many many more but the PR team was only available on 1st September so I only had about 5 weeks to sort it all). We were able to share our stories on camera (to be shared on DCUK social media sites as a starting point). We had photos taken, as we are now, and with our 'big pants' on (See attached photo of me to get the idea). We are extremely happy to spread the word. I have put together a booklet of their stories with before and after photos which I'm wondering if the DNs would be interested in seeing.

Jo mentioned a diabetic meeting at the local Tesco superstore. Would you be able to give me more details as I would love to pop along?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just phoned for my blood tests results couldn't wait till next week to see DN and woohoo cholesterol and Hbac1 are down. Cholesterol is 5.7 ( down from over 6 ) though don't know the ratio as yet ; and most importantly ( to me ) my hbac1 is down from 69 to 51.Big grin :)
Back o' the net! Well done

Reactions: mojo37

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for the incredible support today I am a silly old sausage. If I can find a Jack Sparrow postcard it will be wending its way to Gentle Gerald and the Geraldines real soon! @SaskiaKC hoping and praying the KC gets a good report. Sending hugs and purrs galore from under the blanket. Please let us know when you can.
@HarryBeau the kittens just look so vulnerable hoping and praying they make a full recovery and are soon toasty with Plumpy and you by the fire.
You are not a silly old sausage. You are a wonderful lady. Your concern about your eyes was understandable and you were very brave to continue with the treatment when you felt so so apprehensive.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Warrior princess! Haha
Yes @jjraak I had an appointment with my dr. Basically asked him what he thought about my reduction due to low carb. 'You could have done it with low cal, others are'. At this point I had infiltrated the surgery by way of joining ppg so took opportunity to email DNs to ask how many had done what I had. Hba1c of 62 to 39 in months really.

The reply was only me apart from bariatric surgery pts. So this was my reply to surgery. Note it was September 18. I had been diagnosed dec 17. I was only told about the local diabetic group at this point which is shocking in itself;

Hi **** (PM)

Many thanks for this. It is incredibly helpful. It confirms that only patients from the practice who have gone through bariatric surgery have put their diabetes into remission. Quite shocking statistics and a travesty. It appears in all the years I'm the only one to have done it which is absolutely incredible. The current NHS guidelines seem very out of kilter. The 1936 diabetic guidelines would give diabetics more of a chance to control their blood sugars i feel (attached). Cutting down on carbs and not just sugars. At the end of the day carbohydrates turn to sugar. It does involve a change of lifestyle and I appreciate it's not easy for many although I found it incredibly easy to change my way of eating to healthier diabetic choices. 'Give diabetes an inch and it takes a foot' did spur me on.

I would love to share my story with any diabetics who are interested in learning more if the DNs are happy for me to do so.
I have an appointment with my diabetic nurse in November and am looking forward to discussing a way forward then. I would like to help as many fellow diabetics as possible as you can imagine. In the meantime maybe you could forward this email to ******* and the team.

I have just arranged an event in Birmingham, with the help of Diabetes.co.uk and their PR team. I managed in a very short space of time to get together a room full of diabetics who have also put their diabetes into remission on a low carb diet in a short space of time (I could have got together many many more but the PR team was only available on 1st September so I only had about 5 weeks to sort it all). We were able to share our stories on camera (to be shared on DCUK social media sites as a starting point). We had photos taken, as we are now, and with our 'big pants' on (See attached photo of me to get the idea). We are extremely happy to spread the word. I have put together a booklet of their stories with before and after photos which I'm wondering if the DNs would be interested in seeing.

Jo mentioned a diabetic meeting at the local Tesco superstore. Would you be able to give me more details as I would love to pop along?

sorry deb, system plays up sometimes.

I put a dozen winner emojis up...:wideyed:

but only one shows..

i think it's all the bandwidth @Krystyna23040 has now cornered with the greased lightning Internet connection causing issues, myself....:D

What an absolutely marvellous story and yet..here we are.
islands of success, in an ocean of despair and misery.

life boats made of practical solutions,
while the govt response is paper mache life boats
that they KNOW will sink and NOT be fit to survive those diabetic seas we cross
in the hope of safety.

TOO Few of us land ashore intact, yet the route is well travelled and clearly signposted.

how Do they live with themselves, KNOWING what they do to Millions upon Millions day after day
with their indifferent.."Eat less and Move more." mantra

IF this was a war..

(and i see it as a civil war as such, where the civilian population suffer because those in power will NOT relinquish power or admit THEIR errors) )

then we NEED a PILGER, someone to expose, uncover and display to the world, just how vile and wrong this all is.

That governments could cast aside such a HUGE part of the population, in the name of Vanity, Pride & Profits, over so many years is shameful

how do they sleep at night, indeed
KNOWING how badly THEY have failed everyone of us..

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 this morning - can't lie and say I like it or feel it is ok. Last part day in the sun here, touchdown around midnight at Gatwick so hotel there and train to Cambridge on Sunday. The cold (and UK hotels) will be a shock to the system. I feel incredibly blessed to have come through the last few months and to have had this week as a means of rebooting myself. Lots of lessons learned here which I hope I remember. Very apt that advent is shortly upon us - a time of reflection and expectation. I may not deserve weeks such as this but Matthew 9 12-13 smacked me between the eyes this morning. Now to the gym where a major part of my rehabilitation will come. God bless you all because he has been very close to me these last few months.

Last edited:

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 this morning and the rain is lashing down. Fortunately, I have computer work to do that doesn't involve running around on alien worlds shooting things. Yes, it's 'be a grownup day' and I might manage an hour or two of that, so go enjoy the weekend and be happy in your worlds :)

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all..

Jack Sparrow wearing an eye patch? Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Rum! (or in my case a glass of Angostura bitters and diet tonic, with ice and lime)

Third day of the new regime. Had some fine rare roast beef with greens and horseradish last night, to keep morale up.

8.7 mmo/lt as FBG at 0600. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Something strange going on. Wot no hangover?

Thanks to old friends and new, for the supportive posts.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mornng All. Slept the sleep of two days and woke to 7.8...wot....second finger 7.5. I havent seen a figure like that since the very early days. I hardly ate yesterday though I did eat two giant cod fishfingers for supper on their own but dont believe that is the cause. I can only think it was the release of all the pent up anxiety over my eye. So Inam not going to dwell on it and just go on as I normally do.
There has been chat on the forum about hospital stays and food available which is of concern. When I was last in hospital in 2014 for two nights I literally starved because of the food and I wasnt even diabetic then.
Welcome back to @True Blue and dont worry the numbers will come down, you know what to do. @ianpspurs have a safe journey home and wrap up well.
Have a great Saturday everyone. Stay well, stsy safe.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mornng All. Slept the sleep of two days and woke to 7.8...wot....second finger 7.5. I havent seen a figure like that since the very early days. I hardly ate yesterday though I did eat two giant cod fishfingers for supper on their own but dont believe that is the cause. I can only think it was the release of all the pent up anxiety over my eye. So Inam not going to dwell on it and just go on as I normally do.
There has been chat on the forum about hospital stays and food available which is of concern. When I was last in hospital in 2014 for two nights I literally starved because of the food and I wasnt even diabetic then.
Welcome back to @True Blue and dont worry the numbers will come down, you know what to do. @ianpspurs have a safe journey home and wrap up well.
Have a great Saturday everyone. Stay well, stsy safe.

Hi @PenguinMum
I am glad you got some good sleep.
Your readings will come down to their usual level. You were stressed to the max recently.

Hospital food is a concern, you said you had read on the forum. I couldn’t eat anything last time I was in hospital for 5 nights. For a diabetic it is appalling. And I wasn’t diabetic then. I had to send someone out to the local Sainsbury’s to get me food that was healthy to eat.

Take care and have some feet up time today with the girls

>^..^<. >^..^<

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Morening all
Sorry again, day 2 of 4 consecutive busy days.

A 5.4 this morning.

Must go lots to do, miles to drive and people to meet.
Have a good day folks, remembering have fun........Me and me's will!