stopping keto cured my knee and elbow pain

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
When I started keto last November it was miraculous it dropped my A1c from 106 down to 59 within 11 weeks, but I noticed that my knees started getting unbearable pain due to osteoarthritis and I had to have steroid injection in my right knee , it never took the pain away completely , but it did ease it .

Around June I started getting the same unbearable pain in my elbows and suspected back then that the high fat could be the cause .

Around six weeks ago i was really ill with vomiting and was always feels nauseous (I made a thread about this ,stopping keto) , I decided that keto was the cause of my nausea and stopped it straight away . The improvement was almost instant and I introduced carbs and keep between 80~130 a day , I've lost a stone in weight I feel amazingly well and the pain in my elbows and knees has all but gone .

Now I am not sure if it is the high fat that was causing my pain in the knees and elbows , but it seems to have cured me since stopping keto .

Keto is amazing and I am so grateful that I did this diet because it dropped my A1c miraculously , but it made me very ill over the months.
I get my A1c result Tuesday so I will post on here what they are . Fingers crossed it has improved .

Thanks for reading , I'm interested to know if anyone else developed pain while doing keto , and also I must add that I had pain in my thumb and wrist too which has now almost gone . Wondering if there's a connection .

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be that you were lacking some vitamin or mineral which you are now getting with your increased carbs, rather than the high fat. If you can maintain a good BG level with a moderately low carb diet then why not go with that, no need to be keto.

Reactions: ringi

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
It might. A keto diet, (which I'm on with no ill effects I might add,) may contain purine-rich foods. Purine breaks down into uric acid in the body which may result in needle-like crystals forming in your joints resulting in pain, swelling and tenderness. I don't eat the purine high protein choices often.

Reactions: WackyJacky64

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on bringing your HbA1C down that is great. If you can maintain that on more carbs and feel good that is awesome. I'd suggest continuing ing to test from time to time to make sure the level stays down but fi they do and you feel better then that is a win.

Congratulations!

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you guys for your input . Test result back Tuesday so I will be posting , fingers crossed :)

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might. A keto diet, (which I'm on with no ill effects I might add,) may contain purine-rich foods. Purine breaks down into uric acid in the body which may result in needle-like crystals forming in your joints resulting in pain, swelling and tenderness. I don't eat the purine high protein choices often.

Blimey - if I cut out the purine-rich foods I'd be left with not much choice!
Never heard of purine before your post.
I know, I know, I just haven't lived!

Reactions: Speedbird

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes it's called gout and can be very painful indeed.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Blimey - if I cut out the purine-rich foods I'd be left with not much choice!
Never heard of purine before your post.
I know, I know, I just haven't lived!
Yes, you can't avoid everything.
It gets worse when you consider possible Oxalate toxicity (from plants)

upload_2019-11-24_10-53-26.png

upload_2019-11-24_10-54-4.png

upload_2019-11-24_10-54-39.png

From what I have heard, Plants are usually a bigger problem than meat.. The important thing is to eat a variety so as to keep below the threshold in any one food.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
A doctor inspection and a blood test for uric acid will reveal.
I've just had bloods done but I don't think that test would be in it. But as the problem seems to have resolved apart from my finger knuckles on right hand I am going to see if that improves . The pain seems to have gone and the redness is fading so I will watch and see .
Thanks for the reply :)

Little Bird

Hi WackeyJackey,

I don't know how much truth there is in this but I have read that meat and some animal products of eaten in large quantities can increase inflammation in the body, Something to do with arachadonic acid? If you are prone to inflammation then fish might be good as it is anti-inflammatory and will still fit into your low carb diet.

congratulations on getting your BG down so well, long may it continue!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've just had bloods done but I don't think that test would be in it. But as the problem seems to have resolved apart from my finger knuckles on right hand I am going to see if that improves . The pain seems to have gone and the redness is fading so I will watch and see .
Thanks for the reply :)

I had a flare up recently, including swollen feet and painful joints.
I was checked over by the surgery and assured that it wasn't gout (not quite in the correct location).
Diagnosed as osteoarthritis.
Eventually I got to see a physio (long wait time) and was told that more exercise of the joints would both improve things and help reduce reoccurrence.

The jury is still out on that one.

No obvious link to keto diet, in fact it might be tied in to when my diet drifted away from keto a bit.
Note to self to check this if it happens again.

Little Bird

Probably vegan propaganda?
From Barnard or Greger perhaps?
I won't pretend to know that much about the mechanism of arachidonic acid as I really don’t. As I understand it, it can have both pro and anti- inflammatory properties depending upon how it is metabolised, but I believe it is not recommended for people who are prone to inflammation to eat large amounts of it. Now I may well be completely wrong about that, I’m no biochemist, but either way it is a science thing not a vegan thing.

What you call vegan propaganda I would call a vegan point of view. I’m not a vegan myself but I fail to see why a vegan point of view is any more propagandist than any pro-meat point of view. A point of view is just a point of view regardless of your position.

I don’t know what you intended to mean exactly by your comment, only you can know that of course, but I can tell you that it came across as rather disrespectful to vegans.

I was under the impression that this website and its forums were intended to offer support to any and all people with diabetes concerns. Are vegans excluded from this?

Little Bird

Then please provide some evidence.. rather than "something I have read".

If you can link to where you have read it we can see exactly what is being stated and by whom.

Arachidonic acid is a type of omega 6, nothing new or revolutionary. A simple internet search will provide you with plenty of information. Like I said, I don’t know that much about it and I am more than happy to accept that I am completely wrong about it.

My previous post to you related more to your comment about vegans than anything to do with arachidonic acid. I wasn’t debating science but pointing out that your comment might be deemed disrespectful to some people.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I had a flare up recently, including swollen feet and painful joints.
I was checked over by the surgery and assured that it wasn't gout (not quite in the correct location).
Diagnosed as osteoarthritis.
Eventually I got to see a physio (long wait time) and was told that more exercise of the joints would both improve things and help reduce reoccurrence.

The jury is still out on that one.

No obvious link to keto diet, in fact it might be tied in to when my diet drifted away from keto a bit.
Note to self to check this if it happens again.

Sorry to hear about that , its painful isn't it . Exercise made my pain worse , even swimming made it worse.
I'm getting normal blood sugars still after changing diet, in fact lower morning readings than when on keto and it happened straight away . This morning and for almost every morning 5.2 and after meals highest 7.5 .

Reactions: Gracie204

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What you call vegan propaganda I would call a vegan point of view.
IMO there are many people who hold a vegan / low carb / keto / carnivore etc etc point of view. They mostly keep quiet about their beliefs but will explain them when asked for advice. Unfortunately there are also people who promote their vegan / carnivore etc etc views aggressively without waiting to be asked. This could justly be called propaganda.