What’s been your experience of your daily Fasting Numbers in respect of your HBA1C reductions?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Apologies for the truly long winded and not very “snappy” Title but I believe if we could amalgamate or present Daily Fasting Glucose Numbers over your period of testing compared to the reductions to your HBA1C reductions would or could give us early Explorers on our route to Diabetic Control, a sense of support and success.

This week I’m due to have my first HbA1c since being on a severe LCHF diet and a doubling of my METFORMIN Rx. This has been in place since 20 September.

HbA1c Sept 89 and Fasting 14.9 . Now fasting 6.9.

And yes, I do realise that in some form or another this appears in individuals signatures. I suppose what I’m inviting people to do is write their own Fasting Experiences placed/compared against their own HbA1c changes. This would give me a sense reality and reduce my anxieties. After all, this is central and crucial to all of us - the reduction of anxiety.

What do you think?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My own personal experience is that even when I was first diagnosed my fasting numbers were in the non-diabetic range and always have been, but my HbA1c was not. However, if yours were high and have now reduced, then I imagine your HbA1c will also have reduced. Just one word about Metformin - it helps to a limited extent with morning readings when you first get out of bed. It does not help with post meal levels.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My first week of testing came a few days after diagnosis and commencing a low carb diet. My diagnosis HbA1c was 70 and my fasting figures started off as being 7s and 8s.
By the time of my repeat HbA1c two months later my fasting numbers were high 5s and 6s and the HbA1c came out as 45.
My next HbA1c two months further on had dropped again this time it was 36 with fasting numbers consistently in the 5s.
These days 2 and a half years from diagnosis while eating 30 - 50g carbs per day and taking 3 Metformin per day I achieve fasting bloods in the 4s or very low 5s and my latest HbA1c was 32.
Everyone is individual and fasting numbers are generally the last to settle down, but I hope my info helps and inspires you :)

Edit for typo

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Apologies for the truly long winded and not very “snappy” Title but I believe if we could amalgamate or present Daily Fasting Glucose Numbers over your period of testing compared to the reductions to your HBA1C reductions would or could give us early Explorers on our route to Diabetic Control, a sense of support and success.

This week I’m due to have my first HbA1c since being on a severe LCHF diet and a doubling of my METFORMIN Rx. This has been in place since 20 September.

And yes, I do realise that in some form or another this appears in individuals signatures. I suppose what I’m inviting people to do is write their own Fasting Experiences placed/compared against their own HbA1c changes. This would give me a sense reality and reduce my anxieties. After all, this is central and crucial to all of us - the reduction of anxiety.

What do you think?
Hi Estragon,
You ask what we think, so I will tell you what I think.

I don't bother measuring my fasting levels any more. I never did test straight after waking, only before breakfast and since when I have breakfast, I nearly always have exactly the same ( 2 boiled eggs) there is no longer any point in testing after breakfast either.

You probably know this already, but just in case you haven't heard, the Fasting BG level is the least useful one to measure in order to see how you are doing. The important ones to take are those which tell you your reaction to what you eat. So just before each meal and then 2hrs after first bite of that meal.
You should be aiming to get the BG rise from the meal to be less than 2.0 (in UK measurement, I think it is 36 in USA measurements). You should also aim for the post meal numbers to be less than 8.0 (UK measurements).
In general the lower the better until/unless you get down below 4.0 Some feel OK much lower than 4.0, but the saying goes ' Four is the Floor'.

If you can achieve the less than 2.0 spikes and keep the max below 8.0 then your HbA1C will be good/much better.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just one word about Metformin - it helps to a limited extent with morning readings when you first get out of bed. It does not help with post meal levels.

Sorry to go off point, but would that suggest taking any met was better value if taken in evening ?
i currently still take mine, 14 months on, but most days skip the evening does,
so 2 x 500mg taken with breakfast or a small bite of cheese/nuts/etc (rather then 4.x 500)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me HbA1c normalised before FBG's did.
I had an HbA1c of 36 in Jan 2016 but FBG's were still in the 6's and 7's
Took another 3 months to get them down to the 5-6 range and that's with ultra low carb and intermittent fasting.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On diagnosis HbA1c 53 and FBG 8.0
Now HbA1c 38 and FBG 6.0
I very rarely measure FBG as it is always about 6.0 and doesn't really tell me anything.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So back on point.

Not sure if this is what you want,, but here goes.

for me, dx aug 2018 57 mmol
LCHF from oct 2018
fasting levels seemed to drop in stages.
started with 10's at start..(some above)
but over the first week or two that dropped
2-3 points to where it was in the high 7's on ave during nov
as each month passed i dropped another point on average
jan 2019 saw my first 5's and from there it's been a pretty steady ship
Mid 5's up to low 6's
30g a meal..2 a day, tho 2nd meal can sometimes just be more of a snack
Hit 40 mmol july 2019..so more then happy so far.

good luck on the rest of your journey.

Reactions: Auto E

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't bother measuring my fasting levels any more. I never did test straight after waking, only before breakfast and since when I have breakfast, I nearly always have exactly the same ( 2 boiled eggs) there is no longer any point in testing after breakfast either.

Have to agree there, @ianf0ster

however i do still test.
while of little merit on the day unless above normal and i need an
explanation for it, so to avoid.

i do see it as historical.
kind of like the Jurassic period type stuff historians love.
on the day of no use really, but over time does give (me) the trend over a longish period.
Might well stop the daily version over time, but not just yet.

For those recently coming to this, i would say test the FBG daily for that very reason

I thinks it's a good measure of just how much glucose etc is being wrung out of us

Once i stop testing the FBG i think i will still keep a weekly version myself, to be sure i don't
go too of piste over time.
Particularity with regard to foods i now eat safely.
those while good now, might just change over time, so better to
have some back up just to keep that in check.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

What do you think?
My hba1c was 69 in may and when I did test ( which wasn't very regularly) my fgb ranged between 8, 9 and sometimes 10 .....My recent Hba1c ( 2 weeks ago ) had reduced to 51 , over the last 2 months my fbg has been 6's and 5's with the odd 7 thrown in .So yes it does appear to be reflected in a lower Hba1c.

Reactions: jjraak

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All your responses have been exactly what I was wanting to read. You’ve also added much needed further detail which re-read.

What a resource this Diabetes UK is. Thanks again everybody.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All your responses have been exactly what I was wanting to read. You’ve also added much needed further detail which re-read.

Actually Diabetes UK is a different organisation, this is Diabetes.co.uk or DCUK, an easy mistake to make, a more distinctive name would have been better.

Reactions: angustia
D

Deleted member 308541

The last three months I have slightly higher fbgl readings as it now six months since I have been off metformin.

My daily averages are reasonable as are my three monthly average, I will be going for a hba1c test tomorrow (Monday) so will be interesting to see what it is in this period.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I just received my HBA1C results from Monday, two days ago. I’ve gone from 89 Sept 20 down to 64. I’m really chuffed!

Reactions: HSSS

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must admit, I'm not 100% sure about fasting results first thing.

Well specifically about results taken right after waking up.

My Hba1c latest was 33, but I was worried it would be much higher because I frequently got fasting results directly after waking of 6.5.

However I did a period of testing right after waking, and 30-60mins after waking and my results were much lower.

I also tested my wife who is not diabetic and she was getting waking results in the 6s also.

I'm just cautious about interpreting the fasting results which are meatt be after say 8 hours of not eating, with waking result as you get a little boost from your liver to get you going which is perfectly natural.

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My first week of testing came a few days after diagnosis and commencing a low carb diet. My diagnosis HbA1c was 70 and my fasting figures started off as being 7s and 8s.
By the time of my repeat HbA1c two months later my fasting numbers were high 5s and 6s and the HbA1c came out as 45.
My next HbA1c two months further on had dropped again this time it was 36 with fasting numbers consistently in the 5s.
These days 2 and a half years from diagnosis while eating 30 - 50g carbs per day and taking 3 Metformin per day I achieve fasting bloods in the 4s or very low 5s and my latest HbA1c was 32.
Everyone is individual and fasting numbers are generally the last to settle down, but I hope my info helps and inspires you :)

Edit for typo
I know that another poster mentioned that it took a year for her fasting numbers to come down. So it's nice to see that you feel that is the trend too. I'm optimistic time will help my fasting numbers.

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me HbA1c normalised before FBG's did.
I had an HbA1c of 36 in Jan 2016 but FBG's were still in the 6's and 7's
Took another 3 months to get them down to the 5-6 range and that's with ultra low carb and intermittent fasting.
I take encouragement from this. My numbers have not improved (despite weight loss), but I feel time may help. I've also recently dropped my carbs even further. I didn't want to have to go so low (I have this fear that it will reduce my insulin sensitivity long-term), but I am "eating to the meter", and the meter is telling me I need to keep going lower.

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to agree there, @ianf0ster

however i do still test.
while of little merit on the day unless above normal and i need an
explanation for it, so to avoid.

i do see it as historical.
kind of like the Jurassic period type stuff historians love.
on the day of no use really, but over time does give (me) the trend over a longish period.
Might well stop the daily version over time, but not just yet.

For those recently coming to this, i would say test the FBG daily for that very reason

I thinks it's a good measure of just how much glucose etc is being wrung out of us

Once i stop testing the FBG i think i will still keep a weekly version myself, to be sure i don't
go too of piste over time.
Particularity with regard to foods i now eat safely.
those while good now, might just change over time, so better to
have some back up just to keep that in check.
What is your opinion on someone that has a healthy BMI (22) but still has an elevated FBG? I wonder if I have some fatty liver I can't see (but I doubt this due to excellent liver function tests and narrow waist and regular exercise)...... that would explain the "wringing out" you mention; however, I think my case is more probable that I'm just making too much glucose in my liver and profoundly insulin resistance (as Tim Noakes says!). :)

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I totally agree. This forum is such a source of support to those of that arrive here looking for answers - and frankly, feeling a little scared and desperate.