What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's exactly why injecting insulin was a nightmare for me. There was no consistency. It was pure guesswork which resulted in either having to take glucose tablets to bring blood sugars back up or injecting more insulin to bring readings back down. A real roller coaster.

It's a great relief not to have to correct blood sugars now. Although yesterday l didn't feel that good on 3.8 so decided to bring blood sugars up into the 4s. So had 20g of Montezuma 100%. It didn't work - was still 3.8. It was delicious though and felt really decadent.

It must have been a nightmare, I feel a bit feeble complaining that I don’t understand it when I’m not in any acute mortal danger. I’m really pleased for you, that you’ve bought it under so much better control. Glad the Montezuma’s helped psychologically if not physically.

Reactions: HarryBeau

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
O/T but seems to link with something myself and @DJC3 touched on earlier https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...e-fox-our-first-christmas-empty-nest-syndrome . Also seems much more credible to me than plenty that I read or find to links to on here.

It’s a new era for us isn’t it? I remember sitting my mum on the sofa with some sprouts to prepare, so she’d feel useful and included. In retrospect it was patronising of me and I’m dreading the day I am given a bag of sprouts and a colander and told to sit there and make myself comfy!

Reactions: dunelm

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a new era for us isn’t it? I remember sitting my mum on the sofa with some sprouts to prepare, so she’d feel useful and included. In retrospect it was patronising of me and I’m dreading the day I am given a bag of sprouts and a colander and told to sit there and make myself comfy!
Boys already want to lift things for me since the op:arghh: I decided to lift 20 kg bags smokeless fuel today just to prove I still can. I understand the reason for some of the things my grandfather and dad did so much better now. Too late to tell them of course. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Hug and sympathy for the upsetting visit. I don't think there is anything as upsetting as traumatic visits with our elderly mothers.
I only wish that bacon and broccoli were as comforting as chips and chocolate.
I hope today is easier for you.
Thank you,@SaskiaKC. Alzheimer's is a cruel disorder and it is very distressing to witness what it does to our loved ones.:( It helps to know that others understand. You are very kind.:)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks dogslife I'm sure it will make the day more interesting when the girls discover there are kittens here...there'll be mayhem...I sincerely hope things improve for you & the family it's such a trying/emotional time for you all...ironically Christmas time seems to magnify the difficulties we face.
Thanks again, HarryBeau. Mayhem, perhaps but fun! :)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry to hear about the difficult visit and hope the next one is so much better. There are times when fbg can be parked, you will get back.
Thank you, Penguin Mum. You are very kind. :)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
. In retrospect it was patronising of me
Actually I don't think it was patronising - you were doing your very best to make her feel included as part of the family.

What I am dreading is the day my dogs totally ignore me like my Labrador Saffy did to my MIL who had dementia. She loved my MIL then suddenly it was as though she didn't exist. Archie was young when my FIL developed dementia and he suddenly got very scared of FIL and would hide from him.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually I don't think it was patronising - you were doing your very best to make her feel included as part of the family.

What I am dreading is the day my dogs totally ignore me like my Labrador Saffy did to my MIL who had dementia. She loved my MIL then suddenly it was as though she didn't exist. Archie was young when my FIL developed dementia and he suddenly got very scared of FIL and would hide from him.

Oh goodness that has made my blood run cold! Dogs are so perceptive, I suppose they recognise something in a person that we are not completely aware of, and when that essence of the person goes, they no longer exist in effect. It’s very scary.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It must have been a nightmare, I feel a bit feeble complaining that I don’t understand it when I’m not in any acute mortal danger. I’m really pleased for you, that you’ve bought it under so much better control. Glad the Montezuma’s helped psychologically if not physically.
If you are a bit feeble complaining about blood sugars when you are not in acute mortal danger - I am also because I do exactly the same.

I love it when the blood sugars are behaving but it is very frustrating when I am doing everything right and they are not behaving.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh goodness that has made my blood run cold! Dogs are so perceptive, I suppose they recognise something in a person that we are not completely aware of, and when that essence of the person goes, they no longer exist in effect. It’s very scary.
Yes it was quite scary. Animals are perceptive. I remember reading about a cat in a care home who would lay on the bed of a resident who was about to die. Somehow it knew who was going to die. I only hope the residents didn't know that's what the cat did or they would be really scared.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Must go tasks to perform under the watchful eyes of that evil fire breathing dragon I married all those years ago.
Bet she wasn't like that all those years ago :joyful:

Actually I bet she isn't like that now, your just being your usual joking self :)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

I found your post intriguing, Krystyna23040. I have read lots about how pets are theraputic for people with dementia but never of the effect on pets themselves.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Awake @ 3.40 finally tested @ 4.40 fbg 6.4. All going well today then. Mixed blessing of madness and caring to occupy me whilst the marriage of inconvenience between me and LC undergoes relationship counselling. Julie has to prepare for tests tomorrow by part fasting, drinking vast amounts including odd things to help internal cameras. Chairs, food, presents, crockery, beds to be delivered to Suffolk which will need 2 cars and Julie can't drive for 24 hrs from midnight. All manner of meat to collect 2 days early on the way. Tuesday is final collection of food here, waiting in for amazon to deliver a present No 2 son has sent late in the game then off to Suffolk with 89.9 yo MIL. Back just in time for me to go to hospital Friday 9.00 am _ could have been 3.30 Christmas Eve. Nothing life threatening but not likely to rebuild my trust in this woe and its impact on my bg. 4th Sunday in Advent, which is a time of reflection and hope - the assurance of a promise which will be fulfilled. So, bigger picture son, bigger picture. O Rex Gentium today, Rex Gentium. Psalm 144 13-16

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Awake @ 3.40 finally tested @ 4.40 fbg 6.4. All going well today then. Mixed blessing of 72 hours of madness and caring to occupy me whilst the marriage of convenience between me and LC undergoes relationship counselling. Julie has to prepare for tests tomorrow by part fasting, drinking vast amounts including odd things to help internal cameras. Chairs, food, presents, crockery, beds to be delivered to Suffolk which will need 2 cars and Julie can't drive for 24 hrs from midnight. Tuesday is final collection of food, waiting in for amazon to deliver a present No 2 son has sent late in the game then off to Suffolk with 89.9 yo MIL. Back just in time for me to go to hospital Friday 9.00 am _ could have been 3.30 Christmas Eve. Nothing life threatening but not likely to rebuild my trust in this woe and its impact on my bg. 4th Sunday in Advent which is a time of reflection and hope - the assurance of a promise which will be fulfilled so bigger picture son, bigger picture. O Rex Gentium today, Rex Gentium.
I have you a hug @ianpspurs because you have a lot going on.
Also I would have liked to give you a winner emoji because you have a lot of organisation to oversee.
Take care
Take a hug out of the unlimitless basket of hugs on here when you need one. And here is a basket of time out moments for you to take one when you need a few moments to regroup and gather your thoughts.
Best wishes.
Take care.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have you a hug @ianpspurs because you have a lot going on.
Also I would have liked to give you a winner emoji because you have a lot of organisation to oversee.
Take care
Take a hug out of the unlimitless basket of hugs on here when you need one. And here is a basket of time out moments for you to take one when you need a few moments to regroup and gather your thoughts.
Best wishes.
Take care.
Thanks so much @gennepher. Combination of prayer, Ken Burns Country Music documentary box set, lots of sport to watch and grandchildren will see me right. Always good to read the small print - marriage and parenthood have been huge, undeserved blessings. Short time out of eternity and not exactly Calvary. You take care.

Reactions: jjraak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Awake @ 3.40 finally tested @ 4.40 fbg 6.4. All going well today then. Mixed blessing of madness and caring to occupy me whilst the marriage of inconvenience between me and LC undergoes relationship counselling. Julie has to prepare for tests tomorrow by part fasting, drinking vast amounts including odd things to help internal cameras. Chairs, food, presents, crockery, beds to be delivered to Suffolk which will need 2 cars and Julie can't drive for 24 hrs from midnight. All manner of meat to collect 2 days early on the way. Tuesday is final collection of food here, waiting in for amazon to deliver a present No 2 son has sent late in the game then off to Suffolk with 89.9 yo MIL. Back just in time for me to go to hospital Friday 9.00 am _ could have been 3.30 Christmas Eve. Nothing life threatening but not likely to rebuild my trust in this woe and its impact on my bg. 4th Sunday in Advent, which is a time of reflection and hope - the assurance of a promise which will be fulfilled. So, bigger picture son, bigger picture. O Rex Gentium today, Rex Gentium. Psalm 144 13-16

Prayers and Proverbs 31:10-31 for Julie and you. Hugs.