What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it all looks a bit odd in that corner of the room but it works for now!
DJC I have ordered the cat deterrents just now...the pack of small water pistols is arriving tomorrow & I shall be practicing as soon as I've unwrapped them...I have had kittens in the past but only one at a time...introduced them to the older cat/s who kept them in their place...these two are like belligerent teenagers just in case I'm hiding the car keys the house keys & my bank/credit cards;)

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DJC I have ordered the cat deterrents just now...the pack of small water pistols is arriving tomorrow & I shall be practicing as soon as I've unwrapped them...I have had kittens in the past but only one at a time...introduced them to the older cat/s who kept them in their place...these two are like belligerent teenagers just in case I'm hiding the car keys the house keys & my bank/credit cards;)

Haha this did make me laugh - a pack of water pistols! but I do sympathise. I think an older animal in the home really does help to teach them acceptable behaviour. D is so much better behaved when Melody is here. I had water sprays for D too but he managed to get hold of them all and break them. Your little pals sound like they are just egging eachother on and loving life.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I'm not surprised you need them dogslife...in such difficult upsetting circumstances it's sometimes a very necessary evil...I hope you have some resolution in the next few days.
Thanks @Harry Beau for your kind words. It sounds like you are going to have a very interesting Christmas with your two new additions to the family. Enjoy!:)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just egging eachother on and loving life.
They are & after such a bad start who can blame them...however if only I could keep the house in order until after the Christmas day visitors have been & gone...poppy & Ava will be here Christmas morning & have no idea we have the kittens...want them to enjoy the kittens & the tree...fingers crossed.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.2 this morning and it's all witchcraft to me.

Yesterday all I ate was a 12oz steak at 1400. Before eating my bg was 4.5 and after two hours... 6.9! No idea why as it was just a steak, cooked in the air fryer with a nob of butter added at the end. I admit I get frustrated at times by the whole thing as the whole action>reaction event isn't consistent.
I agree so much to the witchcrafty thing ...I ate far too many carbs yesterday and had a lovely 5.3 this morning but because I didn't eat until 3 hrs after I got up this rose to 7.6 !

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Harry Beau for your kind words. It sounds like you are going to have a very interesting Christmas with your two new additions to the family. Enjoy!:)
Thanks dogslife I'm sure it will make the day more interesting when the girls discover there are kittens here...there'll be mayhem...I sincerely hope things improve for you & the family it's such a trying/emotional time for you all...ironically Christmas time seems to magnify the difficulties we face.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There could be a cutsey Disney Christmas movie in there.....

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
' morning all. 7.2 fbs for me this morning. I know that's not good but I expected it to be much higher after succumbing to a packet of plain crisps and several chocolates last night following a very upsetting visit with mum at her nursing home. We don't normally have such things in the house but I always have a dish of brightly coloured chocs at Christmas for visitors. They tasted extremely sweet but I ate them anyway. :banghead: I promise to be better behaved today. :angelic:Enjoy your week-end everyone. :)
Sorry to hear about the difficult visit and hope the next one is so much better. There are times when fbg can be parked, you will get back.

Reactions: ianpspurs

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the sound of your impromptu darts room. It’s shaping up to be a very good Christmas at your place.
The trouble is they outnumber me...they are now watching footie in there and I have been told not to be disturbed....Mr PM is meant to be sorting out the booze today, luckily noone likes my orange gin :) so I’m ok.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are & after such a bad start who can blame them...however if only I could keep the house in order until after the Christmas day visitors have been & gone...poppy & Ava will be here Christmas morning & have no idea we have the kittens...want them to enjoy the kittens & the tree...fingers crossed.

Yes fingers crossed for you. A bit of chaos is no bad thing though, at Christmas it’s sort of compulsory I think.

Reactions: gennepher

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The trouble is they outnumber me...they are now watching footie in there and I have been told not to be disturbed....Mr PM is meant to be sorting out the booze today, luckily noone likes my orange gin :) so I’m ok.

Sounds ideal to me - football in a different room, leaving you in peace with the orange gin!

Reactions: gennepher

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 this morning and it's all witchcraft to me.

Yesterday all I ate was a 12oz steak at 1400. Before eating my bg was 4.5 and after two hours... 6.9! No idea why as it was just a steak, cooked in the air fryer with a nob of butter added at the end. I admit I get frustrated at times by the whole thing as the whole action>reaction event isn't consistent.

Couldn’t agree more with the frustration over inconsistencies. There doesn’t seem to be any such thing as a ‘safe’ meal for me - the same one taken on different days will give entirely different readings. Sometimes I wonder why on earth I test at all.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn’t agree more with the frustration over inconsistencies. There doesn’t seem to be any such thing as a ‘safe’ meal for me - the same one taken on different days will give entirely different readings. Sometimes I wonder why on earth I test at all.
That's exactly why injecting insulin was a nightmare for me. There was no consistency. It was pure guesswork which resulted in either having to take glucose tablets to bring blood sugars back up or injecting more insulin to bring readings back down. A real roller coaster.

It's a great relief not to have to correct blood sugars now. Although yesterday l didn't feel that good on 3.8 so decided to bring blood sugars up into the 4s. So had 20g of Montezuma 100%. It didn't work - was still 3.8. It was delicious though and felt really decadent.

Reactions: dunelm and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Says the woman for whom it works. Spare a thought for those of us in the remedial class:angelic: @Krystyna23040 hug is for both your previous problems and bravely enduring Montezumas - how do you do that? @PenguinMum tv room sounds a great idea to me. After last year's Christmas with MIL I regret knocking down so many walls ( I spent lots of Christmas day in my gym). The trouble is we now have a huge TV and sofa which will probably need walls knocking down when we move. Orange gin - I can see their point of view.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saskia that's disgraceful I'm wondering if you have anything similar to age UK who will support you & the others in your apartment block... there has to be some way of getting the management company to be more responsible...what about writing to your congressman/woman?

Thank you for your sympathy. :)
There are several so-called "senior" agencies, both local and statewide. In my experience they just pass callers from one agency to the next "No, sorry, This Agency doesn't do that; call This Other Agency at ###-###-####" like an out-of-tune chorus. And the local Senior Legal Hotline's recording said "Closed until December 26th."
I hadn't thought about calling my congress rep -- thank you for that suggestion. I might try that. I never think of them because I don't even know their names -- they live so far away in Washington and move in such exclusive circles that they're not truly "representative" of their constituents. They don't have a clue.
But it might be worth a phone call, so I may try that. Thank you for the suggestion.
t2009.gif

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
.I have had kittens in the past but only one at a time...introduced them to the older cat/s who kept them in their place
it's the same with dogs. When we got Archie he was kept in a crate for 24hrs a day and had no idea how to behave with other dogs - or with us. He was a 10 month old nightmare.

We had a lovely 12 year old Labrador who taught him how to behave with other dogs. We taught him how to behave with humans and he has turned out to be one of the best dogs we have ever had.

It was an exhausting process though. I was so exhausted that I sometimes laid down on the exercise mats between classes to have a sleep.

Reactions: mojo37

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saskia I forgot to say you need to diarise all these events so when you get the right attention you have a full list of the M/Company's malaise & neglect but you'd probably already thought of that.

Thanks. Yes, you're right. I've been keeping a log.

One thing that has helped -- when I remember to do it -- is praying. I can feel peace washing over me like a literal "shower of blessings" (old hymn). It gives me a break from the constant feeling that I'm living on the edge and all my nerves are raw and ragged. I should probably remember to do it more often, then maybe all this wouldn't be making me feel so tired and I'd have enough energy to get back up and fight again, or at least get on with my own day-to-day life.

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak