American Diabetes Assoc. promotes low carb

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://mobile.twitter.com/lowcarbGP/status/1208654561185091584

dr Unwin has tweeted this amazing progress.

B0042ECD-D8A5-499F-BFF7-96238EC2B95F.jpeg

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yay! (I wonder if my local GP will listen to this argument now? And spread the word?)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Great news.
Things are actually starting to change for the better !
Now if only we can have the same progress on Saturated Fat and Cholesterol.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
That's great news and although it doesn't need a reason, I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of treating type II with drugs is part of the reason, I'm sure the insurance companies will be pleased.

Reactions: Energize

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We thought it would never happen. Now all the diabetes 'experts' will need to quietly eat their diet advice words.
When I read your post I had a very mean thought that I hoped that eating their diet advice words gave then indigestion. Although perhaps not that mean when you think that those words probably help contribute to a lot of foot amputations.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps we should be thanking Virta. After all, their ongoing track record is providing clear evidence of improved bg control, reduced drug use and better health outcomes for T2s in America. Hard to ignore stats like this:
https://www.virtahealth.com/

Reactions: Energize and HSSS

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I read your post I had a very mean thought that I hoped that eating their diet advice words gave then indigestion. Although perhaps not that mean when you think that those words probably help contribute to a lot of foot amputations.
Though poetic justice might suggest their advice gave them diabetes....

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Perhaps we should be thanking Virta. After all, their ongoing track record is providing clear evidence of improved bg control, reduced drug use and better health outcomes for T2s in America. Hard to ignore stats like this:
https://www.virtahealth.com/
Hard to ignore? - I disagree, since Virta are I the business of selling their services so the same charges of Bias can be levelled at them as at Big Pharma or Big Food. So on a rational comparative basis, the UK results of Roy Taylor (Newcastle Diet) and Dr David Unwin ( a Southport GP) are much more trustworthy.

Having said that, of course I believe the Virta studies (to a large extent), but then I have personal experience of the benefits of LCHF.

Do I believe the Virta studies - Yes, but then I have personal experience of the benefits of LCHF or LCHP .

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hard to ignore? - I disagree, since Virta are I the business of selling their services so the same charges of Bias can be levelled at them as at Big Pharma or Big Food. So on a rational comparative basis, the UK results of Roy Taylor (Newcastle Diet) and Dr David Unwin ( a Southport GP) are much more trustworthy.

In my opinion it’s the methodology and definitions of remission (or whatever one chooses to call it) that inform me as to whether a study, or a collection of clinical evidence (as in the case of Dr David Unwin) is reliable/believable. Virta operates in a healthcare system which is privatised and necessarily charges for it’s services. To my mind, their long-term study of patients eating real food constitutes highly valid and reliable evidence.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
So we both agree that for us the Virta is valid and reliable evidence. But that is because of our personal experience and our level of education on the subject.
However does this apply to the general public?
Not from what I have seen on Twitter or YouTube.
There, the average person may be prey to conspiracy theorists and thus distrust any 'paid for' research or even anybody who has a related book deal.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Promoting LC to stay relevant it seems to me. They seem to be offering it as an option, but I wonder how often this option will be offered?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with the way Doctor Unwin's approach e.g. he asks patients if they want to try a low carb method or take medications knowing that these medications are treating symptoms, have side effects and tend to beome less effective over time.
A food solution for a food problem is logical but it will always be hard to prove if the gold standard of research is RCTs which you obviously cannot do with real people eating real food.
There is a similar problem with the obesity research where most of the world is clinging onto the paradigm of obesity being caused by energy imbalance. Gary Taubes set up a research company to try and prove/disprove this hypothesis but hasn't managed to do so yet.
The next interesting thing to see will be the 2020 US FDA guidelines to see if there's been any shift in those following the valiant campaigning that has gone on to ensure that the guidelines are backed by more than just epidimology.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
In my opinion it’s the methodology and definitions of remission (or whatever one chooses to call it) that inform me as to whether a study, or a collection of clinical evidence (as in the case of Dr David Unwin) is reliable/believable. Virta operates in a healthcare system which is privatised and necessarily charges for it’s services. To my mind, their long-term study of patients eating real food constitutes highly valid and reliable evidence.
I think the charges are a $500.00 one off and $370.00 pcm, which equates to circa £3,816.06, so around £318.00 per month. Whilst this is expensive for a private individual, these costs would be clawed back within an holistic management program in know time (I actually think most people could get by on half or even a quarter of year (£159.00 or £106.00),

I can't speak for others but I would have begged and borrowed to have
  • Medical supervision and medication reductions from a physician-led care team
  • Unlimited one-on-one support from a dedicated health coach
  • Access to a private online peer support community
  • Smart scale, blood glucose/ketone testing supplies, and
  • more are included in the cost and delivered right to your front door
  • Mobile app for tracking biomarkers, messaging with coach
    and peer support group, and access to Virta resources
  • Step-by-step nutrition education program with curated
    resources and meal plans
Having this comprehensive hand holding would have put my mind at rest at a difficult time, and perfect for someone who likes a systematic approach. Eric Westman has similar results and I know Dr Fung / Megan Ramos and Dr Ted Naiman change the status of the patients diabetes so get great results also.

The ADA's statement is "game changing" and profound, especially when you consider the pressures from food, beverage, pharma and religion; it provides David with stone to slay Goliath. Nowhere for NICE and other associations to go now.

Reactions: Goonergal

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
So we both agree that for us the Virta is valid and reliable evidence. But that is because of our personal experience and our level of education on the subject.
However does this apply to the general public?
Not from what I have seen on Twitter or YouTube.
There, the average person may be prey to conspiracy theorists and thus distrust any 'paid for' research or even anybody who has a related book deal.
Which is why there should be a "Prove It" campaign, compromised of 2 to 3 areas

Area 1, waist to hip ratio, an excellent general health proxy.

Area 2, The Gold standard in my view is a £15.00 blood glucose monitor to see what your own body says about the food choices and what this does for you via fbg, before meal and 30 minute intervals up to 3 hours. Argue with that at at your peril and this is truly individual and without bias.

Area 3, A private fasting insulin test (if affordable), again a proxy measurement to confirm where one is heading.

No matter what dietary protocol is being followed, the first 2 tests for an family of 4 works out at about £4.00 per person to tell the truth about choices with no lectures hypothesis etc.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hard to ignore? - I disagree, since Virta are I the business of selling their services so the same charges of Bias can be levelled at them as at Big Pharma or Big Food. So on a rational comparative basis, the UK results of Roy Taylor (Newcastle Diet) and Dr David Unwin ( a Southport GP) are much more trustworthy

Virta health is now selling their services on a "payment by results" bases to the US health insurance companies, so they only get paid if a pt improves A1c and reduces drug costs.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think the charges are a $500.00 one off and $370.00 pcm, which equates to circa £3,816.06, so around £318.00 per month. Whilst this is expensive for a private individual, these costs would be clawed back within an holistic management program in know time (I actually think most people could get by on half or even a quarter of year (£159.00 or £106.00),

Virtahealth charges are setup differently when a person is not self funding. People finding out about lowcarb and still feeling the need to sign up to Virtahealth will tend to result in self funded pt needing more long term surport then many people sent to Virtahealth by their insurers and/or employers.

Remember Virta health also takes over all the management of diabetes drug hence reducing the number of GP appointments thst need paying for.