Hello, My name is "Estragon" and I'm a Diabetic....

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Also google keto baked custard. We have little glasses which we put in diet jelly, then keto custard and top with unsweetened whipped cream. we've done it for parties a couple of times and people love it. It is also easy as they are already in individual serves.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Also google keto baked custard. We have little glasses which we put in diet jelly, then keto custard and top with unsweetened whipped cream. we've done it for parties a couple of times and people love it. It is also easy as they are already in individual serves.
Thanks VB! - Very thoughtful of you. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to make a dessert of sugar free jelly made with half the amount of water, then will whip in full Fat greek yoghurt when it has cooled, and possible a little something alcoholic, then make a real custard, with real vanilla flavouring, and I might then mix just a little dried fruit soaked in something alcoholic with cream, just for that last bit of festive cheer.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am going to make a dessert of sugar free jelly made with half the amount of water, then will whip in full Fat greek yoghurt when it has cooled, and possible a little something alcoholic, .........
I MAY just need to practice before the 25th :hungry:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I MAY just need to practice before the 25th :hungry:
If you get the custard right then you can use the same mixture for ice cream - make the custard and allow to cool, whip it and then add a traditional flavouring, whisky and chopped walnuts for instance. rolling the walnuts in a tiny amount of honey adds to the aroma - as the rest of the dish is low carb, and it is Christmas - though I believe there are sugar free flavoured syrups available in some shops which could be suitable. Peppermint with grated dark chocolate is another choice, with a touch of vodka.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I believe there are sugar free flavoured syrups available in some shops which could be suitable. Peppermint with grated dark chocolate is another choice, with a touch of vodka.
Oh stop it! Be-HAve yeerself . . ?!? This sounds just a-mazezzzing! :wacky:

Seriously? Thank you Resurgam - TU! ;)

Maleth

Hello All,

Glad to find this forum and share experiences. I have just been diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes. I am 56, 6ft tall and 108kg in weight. My readings were 14.2 and my Dr decided to put me on medication, watch what I eat and exercise. I have been doing a 30 min brisk walk daily and for last three days started monitoring my blood sugar. I am on Metformin 2 times a day (B'fast and Dinner). I think what Im confused most is what I can eat and drink as there seems to be conflicting foods one can eat. Fish and vegetables seem to be a safe option, but not too sure about fruits. My morning reading as i get up is 12.1 at present. I have similar readings through out the day even just before I take the evening meal prior to take Metformin. Looking forward to discover the forum and learn more from your experiences you have kindly shared. Happy Holidays to all and regards from Malta

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All,

Glad to find this forum and share experiences. I have just been diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes. I am 56, 6ft tall and 108kg in weight. My readings were 14.2 and my Dr decided to put me on medication, watch what I eat and exercise. I have been doing a 30 min brisk walk daily and for last three days started monitoring my blood sugar. I am on Metformin 2 times a day (B'fast and Dinner). I think what Im confused most is what I can eat and drink as there seems to be conflicting foods one can eat. Fish and vegetables seem to be a safe option, but not too sure about fruits. My morning reading as i get up is 12.1 at present. I have similar readings through out the day even just before I take the evening meal prior to take Metformin. Looking forward to discover the forum and learn more from your experiences you have kindly shared. Happy Holidays to all and regards from Malta
This is a lot so just work your way through at your own pace!

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It’s how an awful lot of us get our blood sugar levels under control and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and also reduce or improve complications. It is often the easiest and most sustainable form of weight loss for a type 2 if you need that. Other conditions often improve including but not limited to blood pressure, joint pain, inflammation, PCOS, and despite the dire warnings of the last few decades it improves cholesterol for most, yes improves cholesterol. Some jump right on it, others edge their toes in a bit at a time.

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Test before a meal and 2hrs later hoping for a rise of 2mmol or less. More and the carbs eaten were too many! Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON DIABETIC MEDS (other than metformin): if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc than your new carb intake requires. (This is not a concern for metformin on its own). Keep a very close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome Maleth,

There is a lot to take in- read the links posted by HSSS and take you time. Ask questions read around- you don't have to take it all in at once. You have found this site which is the b best place for help, support and advice.

Welcome.

Maleth

Hello HSSS and Vashty B, thank you so much for you kind advise. It really helps. I am keeping a close watch and will share my results at a later date. Thank you for the warm welcome,

Reactions: Estragon

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are most welcome - this site is awesome. There is a lot of information and also a lot of support. Keep posting and let us kn ow how you are going- we are all on a similar journey and any questions you ask may help someone else- the more we help and support each other the better the world is. I would have been lost and in despair without the help and support I received.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I would have been lost and in despair without the help and support I received.
My experience too. And VashtiB has been truly understanding to my own situation and has given me support of the few months I’ve been on the Forums.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Folks!

OK, 33 weeks on, a period of hospitalisation with COVID-19, I’m now bouncing around in the 6s. I now KNOW what spikes me and what smooths it out and devised tasty food alternatives. This has been down to my own obsessive WAR against Carbs and the MASSIVE support I’ve received from all of you. THANK YOU!

My name is Estragon, and I’m a Diabetic.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My COVID19 and Post COVID19 experience:

19/01/2020 52.00 - GP will see me next week! Nearly into upper 40s.
13/4/2020 55.00 - Post COVID19 Hospital Discharge.
31/8/2020 52.00 - 4 month recovery from COVID19.

If I’d not had COVID19 I could have been a contender for upper ‘40s on the HBA1C. What do you think, good people?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My COVID19 and Post COVID19 experience:

19/01/2020 52.00 - GP will see me next week! Nearly into upper 40s.
13/4/2020 55.00 - Post COVID19 Hospital Discharge.
31/8/2020 52.00 - 4 month recovery from COVID19.

If I’d not had COVID19 I could have been a contender for upper ‘40s on the HBA1C. What do you think, good people?
I think that if your blood sugars had been worse at the time you went in, it might've had a different ending. Glad you're still with us. And the HbA1c'll come down again. I think you may have saved your own life. (With the help of the hospital, of course... But you pulled more than your weight.)

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think that if your blood sugars had been worse at the time you went in, it might've had a different ending.
Aw yes.... A chap in the next Isolation Room didn’t pull through. Awful. Sad.....

And the HbA1c'll come down again. I think you may have saved your own life.
Yeah, I’m so focussed on wishing to succeed with lower numbers, I’d lost sight of just where I’d already come from. I’m supposing my diligence and discipline on my food intake has awarded me with a compression on the disease, that I shouldn’t lightly dismiss. Your words are both realistic and therefore encouraging, thank you.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is good to realise how far you have come- both in understanding diabetes and in making choices to manage it. Just think if you hadn't 't been diagnosed or hadn't found this site how different it could have been.

It is a life long con edition so we need to accept that there may be peaks and troughs- you have succeeded because you have worked at it- it is just such shame that things like illness and stress impact the disease and there is many times we can't control it.

Very glad that you are still with us.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Very glad that you are still with us.
Me too! And it’s my Birthday today.

VashtiB, you speak such sense and wisdom. Thank you for your comments, especially:

Just think if you hadn't 't been diagnosed or hadn't found this site how different it could have been.