Regular moderate exercise log

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday, again not much walking but joined in with daughter’s daily 7 min Hiit session. Her phone emits a shrill whistle at 7pm from an app called 7. Then it gives you 7 mins of pure hell! Yesterday included 4 rounds of wall sits, side to side jumping, Sipder man push ups and mountain climber.
Also did plank challenge - Side plank. Only managed 30 secs instead of 45 per round though, but tbh I’m amazed I managed at all.
Hope you’ve recovered from the swimming marathon yesterday @Goonergal
That should be inspirational and is certainly where I aspire to be in T20. We seem to be moving, at some speed, in very opposite directions re control and exercise. Your progress over the last year gives me both hope and despair but I am so pleased for you. Keep posting.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That should be inspirational and is certainly where I aspire to be in T20. We seem to be moving, at some speed, in very opposite directions re control and exercise. Your progress over the last year gives me both hope and despair but I am so pleased for you. Keep posting.

That’s very kind of you Ian but I think it’s a cyclical thing for all of us, sometimes we are more motivated, sometimes disheartened. Sometimes we get unexpectedly better results and other times worse. You’ve been at this game twice as long as me so I think you are allowed to feel a bit jaded by it. You’ve had a couple of stressful months too, so I’m really hoping things pick up for you now: new year, new house, new dog, lots more family time - just what the doctor ordered Id say.
(Ps if you could had seen my attempts at Spider-Man push ups I doubt very much that inspirational would be the adjective of choice)

Reactions: ianpspurs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rest day here - recovered from the swimming thanks @DJC3 but still looking after the Achilles. 8.7k steps getting from a to b. Mediocre but will hit the gym and pool in the next few days.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rest day here - recovered from the swimming thanks @DJC3 but still looking after the Achilles. 8.7k steps getting from a to b. Mediocre but will hit the gym and pool in the next few days.
Glad you have recovered from the swimming. STBO but slow and steady wins the race.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A 7 minute Hiit session and later the plank thing, seems to be getting harder not easier, I’m sure that’s not right!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've done the Birmingham to Wolverhampton Canal walk as my "Get the New Year off to a good start" walk. For anyone else thinking of doing this...

There are 89 steep steps up if you want to avoid going through the Coseley Tunnel. The route down the other side of the tunnel is not signposted but I did find it! It's about 40 steps and two small, muddy, sloping paths. There's also a bit of the towpath which is currently non-accessible which caused me a bit of angst as the diversion signs led me up a cul-de-sac from which there was clearly no exit. Luckily, my hi-viz walking clothing and by then muddy boots alerted a very, very kind lady to my plight and she directed me back to the towpath very accurately.

Do not be lured at Smethwick Pumping station by the Old Wolverhampton Canal route. It's pretty, but incredibly muddy, and you will find yourself surrounded by the under-belly of the M5 road works around Junction 1 and scared off by signs asking people to report any suspicious activity as potential terrorist activity! So, I didn't take any pictures to prove I'd been there and hied me back to the New Canal Mainline by a five minutes road walk.

I can recommend the tram ride back to Brum as an excellent feet resting activity and delayed lunch spot. Slower than the train, but faster than the bus.

For those concerned about the horse - it definitely wasn't there on this occasion!

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do not be lured at Smethwick Pumping station by the Old Wolverhampton Canal route. It's pretty, but incredibly muddy, and you will find yourself surrounded by the under-belly of the M5 road works around Junction 1 and scared off by signs asking people to report any suspicious activity as potential terrorist activity! So, I didn't take any pictures to prove I'd been there and hied me back to the New Canal Mainline by a five minutes road walk.

Been there, done that - and persevered with that muddy route! Have you ever been in the Smethwick Pumping Station? I went to one of their open days earlier in the year, fascinating!

There's also a bit of the towpath which is currently non-accessible which caused me a bit of angst as the diversion signs led me up a cul-de-sac from which there was clearly no exit.

Found the same after going through the tunnel. First time ended up in Bilston, not Wolverhampton, second time ended up clambering all over the place as I was sent through a fence in search of some old steps that had been closed off. Eventually got back on track!

Reactions: Japes

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold but sunny day so had a nice walk with Dennis along some of the Clay trail paths. https://www.claytrails.co.uk/ around 4 miles in total.
Have completed the 7 min Hiit workout but I couldn’t actually do some of the exercises tonight. I’ll have to have a proper look at the app and see if I can select some out.
Plank challenge to follow later

Reactions: Goonergal

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Been there, done that - and persevered with that muddy route! Have you ever been in the Smethwick Pumping Station? I went to one of their open days earlier in the year, fascinating!

Found the same after going through the tunnel. First time ended up in Bilston, not Wolverhampton, second time ended up clambering all over the place as I was sent through a fence in search of some old steps that had been closed off. Eventually got back on track!

I'm hoping to get to one of the open days this year. I kept missing them last year.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much walking but just finished 10 mins Hiit with daughter. It included the plank challenge - she is on tapping alternate shoulders from full plank, I’m now managing the full 45 seconds but mostly 1/2 plank. Also did crunches, lunges and squats.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Swimming this morning. An hour in the pool but only 20 mins continuous lengths. ( we took it in turns to swim in the lanes and play with the children)
2 lots of 7 min Hiit workouts.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, going great guns, @DJC3

I was all kitted out ready to go to the gym this morning then backed out as I was genuinely tired. A bit of walking here and there, but essentially a rest day. Need to get to the pool and gym this week.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, going great guns, @DJC3

I was all kitted out ready to go to the gym this morning then backed out as I was genuinely tired. A bit of walking here and there, but essentially a rest day. Need to get to the pool and gym this week.

I guess swimming is better for the Achilles so that sounds good.
I’m going off the idea of DUK 22mile challenge after today though I just don’t think I’d manage it - approx 2 miles a week and it costs £6:50 a session which makes it quite an expense over the 3 months too. I will endeavour to build more swimming in though.
Hope you feel more lively tomorrow after your rest day.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing much to report here as still nursing the Achilles. Did the highest step count in a while yesterday - just shy of 15k, most of which was a morning walk with a dog along the Birmingham Main Line canal. Nothing to shout about but no adverse reaction so far.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been under the weather for the last few days too so exercise routine has ground to a halt. Felt a lot better today though so just over 11K steps on a lovely sunny dog walk. Lots of steep gradients, my step counter says 11floors but it felt like more!
Back to plank challenge and 7 min Hiit this evening I hope b

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you’re feeling better @DJC3

Tested the Achilles a bit yesterday and upped the step count - 23k in a couple of bursts along canals, including one I hadn’t been on before. Felt it a bit last night, but seems ok this morning, so will rest a few days before going again in the hope it’s starting to recover.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Unexpected weekend guest scuppered my walking plans, but I'm now caught up on last year and well into this so I'm treating it as a rest weekend!

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to the gym today. PT has worked out a training plan for me, mostly concentrating on my core strength and balance issues.
Today I did 10 mins of bike and treadmill, then leg presses, chest presses rowing, squats, crunches, phew!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quiet in here recently. Finally did more than potter about today. Just shy of 22k steps walking along the Thames from Richmond to Kew Gardens, a decent walk around there while taking photos then back over the river to catch the train home. Noticed the London Water and Steam museum nearby but no energy for that today - will need to go back. Hopefully the Achilles won’t grumble too much.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been remiss about posting too. A quick catch up, an hour dog walk plus little strolls each day then
Monday: 1 hr at the gym following the PT schedule
Today: the 7 minute challenge ( the app on my phone still whistles loudly at 7pm to summon me )