What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think I’ve missed a day or 2 so I’ve been having a quick skim read to see what’s been going on. 2 stand out art posts from @Muddy Cyclist and &Gennepher I love your pictures, you are both so talented. Thanks for sharing and I’m so looking forward to seeing more of your work.
@HarryBeau I missed your birthday but hope you had fun. I completely get your amazement at C&Ls growth spurt. I can almost see Dennis growing in real time. Each day he can reach something else so I’m having to put things higher and higher to keep out of his reach. I suppose I should be grateful he can’t climb curtains though.
Our planned Hygge day yesterday didn’t work out entirely. First of all Dennis escaped when someone left the front door open, (found him in a neighbours garden- they have a large and ferocious dog so goodness knows why he went there) Then Mr C started the woodburner and within 10mins the room had filled with smoke. I think some damp detritus had dropped down the chimney in the recent bad weather. All doors and windows were then opened so Dennis legged it again, following an Alsatian down the lane. Then we realised the alarm going off was not our smoke alarm but in fact the CO alarm so we had to evacuate - everyone still in our pjs. Of course it started raining then so we all got soaked too. The rest of the day calmed down a bit and was quite jolly in fact so the New Year started in good humour.
&Karen8967 your quote today was spot on.

Reactions: karen8967

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
02-01-2020
Hooray this morning a lovely 5.5
Back to more normal levels.

Reactions: gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, @DJC3 , what a start to the New Year!
s1004.gif

I'm glad things calmed down and jolliness and good humor won the day.

t0431.gif
h07094.gif

Reactions: DJC3

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our planned Hygge day yesterday didn’t work out entirely.
Crumbs, what a start to the New Year, good you found some humour amongst all the chaos.

2 stand out art posts from @Muddy Cyclist and &Gennepher I love your pictures, you are both so talented. Thanks for sharing and I’m so looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Thank you for your appreciation. It's quite a challenge @gennepher set for herself, I think I may have been a little fool hardy thinking I could set myself the same. I wonder how I will cope with those non creative days? But then @gennepher is inspirational which I hope will drive me on. I'm sure there are others with artistic talent who might want to set themselves the same challenge, the year is a blank canvas.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs @PenguinMum when I started low carb I really missed my old food and cappuccinos and I only did it to help the diabetes.

In the beginning I often had to talk myself out of eating all my old favourite foods. Not sure when I really started loving the low carb food - it just sort of crept up on me and I realised that I loved the taste of it - the tangyness of stilton cheese or the tartness of raspberries and blackberries and the richness of veggies cooked in butter or the hint of bitterness in 100% chocolate.

At Christmas the Chef made me a desert of just berries and cream. It was so deliciously tart it was a real treat and was the highlight of my Christmas dinner.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I realised that I loved the taste of it - the tangyness of stilton cheese or the tartness of raspberries and blackberries and the richness of veggies cooked in butter or the hint of bitterness in 100% chocolate.
I suppose I was lucky in that I already loved all those things you described so well, all I had to do was remove the Carbs and Cakes, I did like cakes and puddings :( but I am finding some very nice replacement recipes that don't appear to raise my BG. For me the difficult thing is meat, I never was a big meat or fish eater and so the increase in these foods still proves difficult and maintaining weight is not easy, thank goodness for nuts and 90% chocolate, 100% is still a step too far for the difference to be gained on the carb count.

Of course there are other benefits to weight loss, hills have become a breeze on my Muddy Mountain Bike rides.:happy:

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 @Muddy Cyclist @SaskiaKC it was a bit like a French Farce at some points with doors and windows opening and shutting, dogs and people in various states of undress, running in and out. I forgot to add that I received a phone call from an 88 yo relative during this time too. He was just wishing me a happy new year so I was trying to have a normal conversation with him, in between shouting at the family here that Dennis was out again, or that everyone had to get out of the house quickly. It really was quite funny (after the event)
To add my two penn’orth to the lc ‘love it or hate it’ discussion @PenguinMum and @ianpspurs , I’ve always loved lc foods, meat fish, nuts, cheese, cream, eggs, all of it. It was with great joy I realised I could now eat all of these things without feeling guilt or shame. Having lived most my life believing low fat was healthy and trying to acquire a taste for skimmed milk ( yuk) fat free salad dressing, low fat yoghurt etc I just felt, and still feel joy that I can eat them. Yes I miss bread a bit, and the occasional bit of cake but not enough to matter that much. I do feel better now than when I was eating a high carb diet, so I feel very lucky it’s turned out to be a win win situation for me.

Reactions: dunelm

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.7

Off to paint my daily painting now. It is 5:15am

This is time of day I normally wake up slowly checking my social media and responding.... can't do that now because unless I start this painting now I will procrastinate, which incidentally I love procrastinating....

Got to be somewhere by 8 am...so got to get my skates on...see what I am doing...I am already trying to procrastinate by writing a longer post than necessary.

5:18 am...

I'm gone...

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and a higher 5.9 today, as @ianpspurs observed this is definitely stress related, I am stressing over nothing saddly one of Muddy Cyclist less attractive traits. Spending day with daughter and youngest granddaughter today so that will lift my spirits.

Going to be tough fitting in my daily painting @gennepher so going to be a strict 30 min one today.

In the words of a well known song "Stay young keep your wheels in motion, you've got everything that you need"

Have a great day one and all.

Reactions: karen8967

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Grey and a bit drizzly, but not cold. Saving on the gas bill.

Cold turkey day three. Not exactly Lords A'leepin', but a straight 8.0. which is 1.1 lower than yesterday so the booze-free glass is half full.

Lots of painting talk. I want a print of a Shepherd last days of steam, engine shed, Eastleigh(?) locos in steam, shiny rails, slight echo of the Turner "Fighting Temeraire". Can't find this print anywhere. Did I dream it? (Yes I am a railway nerd).

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bit rushed .
Managed painting.
It is a bit rough. But it is A3 size.
I spent an hour on it.
Phone camera makes it a wee bit gaudy. Is a wee little more muted than this.
But doing this larger painting is relaxing and frees tension I feel. I am relaxed now for the long day ahead @Muddy Cyclist
Having a quick coffee, then on the road...
IMG_03012020_070134_(750_x_1000_pixel).jpg

I need to read back later on this discussing/posts on low carb ....

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Fbg 1 =6.7 and fbg 2 =6.2. Either way no likey and no worky. I had a little local difficulty on Dec 5th which has sat me on my bum pretty much since. That, the poor A1c (40) and blood panel prompted a protein fest (esp red meat), designed to improve some elements seems to have impacted bg the wrong way. @Krystyna23040 thanks for the post about your journey with LC. @DJC3 nice perspective on non hygge start - good job you had Co monitor. @PenguinMum and @Muddy Cyclist I like your perspective on the time before LC and reasons for following. (@PenguinMum you couldn't be less odd) I was sailing along for 3 years loving LC eating. and how it was working for me. In June 2018 I was in a really good place it now turns out - A1c 5.5, lipids good and weight 72,4 kgs (PB; 73 kgs Dec 12 2019). Tried to "improve" and ever since I have really fallen out of love with LC eating - big bowl of salad with avocado and ianp's vinaigrette excepted. I deliberately tried to avoid wine and red meat most of 2019 and lots of cream was thrown away - frequently couldn't actually face it once bought. I can't help thinking Ruth 1 and 2 are highly pertinent to me just now. Have a great day.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Grey and a bit drizzly, but not cold. Saving on the gas bill.

Cold turkey day three. Not exactly Lords A'leepin', but a straight 8.0. which is 1.1 lower than yesterday so the booze-free glass is half full.

Lots of painting talk. I want a print of a Shepherd last days of steam, engine shed, Eastleigh(?) locos in steam, shiny rails, slight echo of the Turner "Fighting Temeraire". Can't find this print anywhere. Did I dream it? (Yes I am a railway nerd).
I found this site on Shepherd @True Blue
Maybe your print there
I love steam trains, old aeroplanes and ferry boats.

https://www.davidshepherd.com/davidshepherd-trains.html

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Having lived most my life believing low fat was healthy and trying to acquire a taste for skimmed milk ( yuk) fat free salad dressing, low fat yoghurt etc I just felt, and still feel joy that I can eat them
Yes - I absolutely agree with this. I followed the low fat way of eating from the late 1970s to 2016 and I still feel great joy (and slightly wicked) that I can eat full fat now. Skimmed milk is beyond yuk.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for the useful post about your journey with LC.
Actually I omitted probably one of the most important reasons why LC is a joy. I was on fast and long acting insulin for 4 years and was almost in despair at ever matching insulin dose to carbs.

Probably because of fluctuating levels of insulin resistance I found that the same meal on different days required wildly different amounts of insulin which could result in either going hypo or hyper and having to correct with glucose tablets or more insulin. It was so difficult and there was absolutely no joy in eating. To put it mildly l was in despair at ever sorting it.

I started low carb as a way of stopping these huge swings. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would get me off insulin.

I believe (and my DN agrees) that because my diabetes was at such an advanced stage it is pretty miraculous that I don't need insulin. Every day without insulin makes me feel so lucky and happy - especially as I love almost all low carb food (except eggs - yuk).

Reactions: DJC3

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Fbg 1 =6.7 and fbg 2 =6.2. Either way no likey and no worky. I
Couldn't find a rating for your post, I do sympathise with your struggle I also admire your openness and fighting spirit, non of this is easy, love or hate LC all here know the dangers of our lurking Type 2 monster, luckily this forum keeps things in perspective, encourages and helps us fight on knowing we are not alone.

So please accept my rating of 'Encouragement'

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually I omitted probably one of the most important reasons why LC is a joy. I was on fast and long acting insulin for 4 years and was almost in despair at ever matching insulin dose to carbs.

Probably because of fluctuating levels of insulin resistance I found that the same meal on different days required wildly different amounts of insulin which could result in either going hypo or hyper and having to correct with glucose tablets or more insulin. It was so difficult and there was absolutely no joy in eating. To put it mildly l was in despair at ever sorting it.

I started low carb as a way of stopping these huge swings. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would get me off insulin.

I believe (and my DN agrees) that because my diabetes was at such an advanced stage it is pretty miraculous that I don't need insulin. Every day without insulin makes me feel so lucky and happy - especially as I love almost all low carb food (except eggs - yuk).
What an amazing story and I can see why you would love LC. Eggs? I really like eggs and so miss those from our hens. Totally different food when you can identify the hen (s) which laid them. It took me from July 2015 to June 2018 to properly enjoy and function on LC and from then on to see it as an enemy in some ways. I do wonder if that time frame coincides with the little visitor that finally caused the problem this summer hitching a ride.