What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.5 today

Happy New Year to all :)
I hope your year going forward will be filled with love, good things and good people :joyful:

Just back from New Year's Day with Mum and Katy, it's pretty windy here but at least it's above freezing now.

We were late to our beds last night because we went out to the village New Year walk :sorry:

We foregathered near the war memorial at the start of the village and picked up our flaming torches for a short open air service with a couple of hymns, prayers and thoughts for the New Year, together with loads of visitors and children and dogs, many people wearing christmas lights (including some of the dogs :hilarious: ), then we followed the pipers and drum down the length of the main street to the open area near the harbour and waited for the countdown ;) I think there must have been over 100 of us in the walk and others waiting near the harbour.
After the countdown there were fireworks from the harbour wall, much cheering and Happy New Year's greetings with friends and neighbours and some lively music on the pipes. Later there was hot soup and sausage rolls in the village hall followed by a ceilidh (bring your own bottle ;)).
It was very cold with a bitter wind and ice on the ground last night but all very friendly and joyful :D

mr gee and I didn't stay for the ceilidh this year but did do everything else (bar the sausage rolls :angelic:) and when we were walking back home along the sea front we could see fireworks going off in towns and villages along the opposite coast of the Firth.

Hope your day has treated you well :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me, this thread personifies hygge. Composed of variegated yarns, none merino, but all natural, none synthetic, yet together synthesising into a blended whole, warm and comfortable.

a631a29a0eeef6757fef6b6fc77c648f.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

4.5 today

I hope your year going forward will be filled with love, good things and good people :joyful:

Just back from New Year's Day with Mum and Katy, it's pretty windy here but at least it's above freezing now.

We were late to our beds last night because we went out to the village New Year walk :sorry:

We foregathered near the war memorial at the start of the village and picked up our flaming torches for a short open air service with a couple of hymns, prayers and thoughts for the New Year, together with loads of visitors and children and dogs, many people wearing christmas lights (including some of the dogs :hilarious: ), then we followed the pipers and drum down the length of the main street to the open area near the harbour and waited for the countdown ;) I think there must have been over 100 of us in the walk and others waiting near the harbour.
After the countdown there were fireworks from the harbour wall, much cheering and Happy New Year's greetings with friends and neighbours and some lively music on the pipes. Later there was hot soup and sausage rolls in the village hall followed by a ceilidh (bring your own bottle ;)).
It was very cold with a bitter wind and ice on the ground last night but all very friendly and joyful :D

mr gee and I didn't stay for the ceilidh this year but did do everything else (bar the sausage rolls :angelic:) and when we were walking back home along the sea front we could see fireworks going off in towns and villages along the opposite coast of the Firth.

What a wonderful way to welcome in the New Year. :)
I once went to a church, some of whose members got together for a house party every New Year's Eve. At midnight we gathered in front of the fireplace and sang hymns and celebrated Communion together.
For an entire village to do something like that is wonderful.

Reactions: geefull

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Bioglan is fine - I'm ditching sweeteners in tea but can't see me ever managing that in coffee or cocoa. Also been experimenting with lacto-free milk as with some cream added a h/m latte may be acceptable sans sweetener. Likely to be dogs plural - 2 pups if possible and wait until we relocate. Woman at Woodgreen billed and cooed over Thetford forest for dogs - who knew?:angelic: O/T deer coursing in East Anglia on the looocal (we all talk like that out here, boy) news, Not good.
I agree really horrible news about the deer coursing here in the East.

Your new doggies - when you get them - will really love it in your new home in Suffolk. Lots of lovely walking in Thetford Forest and surrounding countryside. You do know that when you move to Suffolk you will have to learn the local language - we won't let you in if you don't. It's even stricter here in Norfolk.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree really horrible news about the deer coursing here in the East.

Your new doggies - when you get them - will really love it in your new home in Suffolk. Lots of lovely walking in Thetford Forest and surrounding countryside. You do know that when you move to Suffolk you will have to learn the local language - we won't let you in if you don't. It's even stricter here in Norfolk.
Local language where I will be seems to be all sorts of US dialects mixed with estuary English. I can speak a little Norfolk as I taught there for 3 years - which is about 3 sentences for some.:angelic:

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I met a smallish Standard Poodle in Publix today. If he was a certified service dog, he was out of uniform. He was very well behaved, helping his person sniff out vitamins and other supplements, and ignored me until I greeted him in his native tongue. Then he politely wagged his tail. He may have been a cross between a Standard and a Mini. He was very handsome.

I was looking for inulin. I don't know what it is, exactly, so I looked among the sweeteners as well as among the fiber and other supplements. I didn't find it. I did find almond flour, which is ridiculously expensive, and then I found some Banana Nut Paleo Pancake/Waffle Mix and some Chocolate Chip Keto Pancake/Waffle mix, for about half the price of the almond flour, which contains almond flour.

I have watched two parades today, one live from Los Angeles, one just as lively, from London. And now, as the sun sinks slowly in the western sky, I am going to join the KittenCat on the bed and read another Valdemar novel.

Looking back over the past year, my vision may not be quite 20/20, but I think have begun to see some things more clearly than I did this time last year.

Reactions: DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning...a busy busy busy week where I celebrate the lead up to Christmas...Christmas day boxing day & my birthday so by the time New Year rolls up I am done celebrating...one more birthday lunch to complete with friends in London on Saturday then I can return to normality...I made a conscious decision not to test in the morning over the holidays...my FBG is no doubt higher than usual but as someone else has said normal service will be resumed (soon)...had a fabulous time during the last week with family & friends...Christmas passed in a flash difficult to believe it's almost 2020...the Charlie & Lola road show continues unbelievable they seem to have doubled in size during the three weeks they've been here...all their little habits showing I love watching them apart from last night when after an evening out they entertained me on my return with charging up & down the curtains...congratulations @Debandez on baby Jaspers safe arrival...one coffee in another expected soon...one lmore deviation from the righteous path WOE this weekend then work begins on the impending HbA1c in the New Year...enjoy your celebrations this evening...I am not a new year fan but will do some first footing in the morning...see you all in 2020 happy new year.
Happy Christmas, happy belated birthday, happy new year too. So many celebrations. It can be a little draining. Too much of a good thing, but sounds like you are doing it justice. Charlie and lola are growing fast. I'm enjoying reading about their escapades.

Reactions: HarryBeau

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. Latest fbs was 7.9. What a kaleidoscope of a year it has been. For those of you who have experienced success, happy travels, new additions to families and improved health I wish you more joys in the coming year.
It has to be said, however, that 2019 has had more than its fair share of challenges and heartache for so many of us. Tonight we close the door on it and open a new door to 2020- the start of not only a new year but a new decade.
So here's wishing a fresh start and a period of peace, good health and great joy to each and every one of us. Happy New year!
Wonderful post. Happy new year to you. Hope it is a more positive one. You have had too many challenges in 2019.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much hygge for me here.

Been up since 4am, painting...

I set myself a challenge of a painting a day in 2020 (whether it be large or small/tiny). Today's is what I call large. A3 sized....acrylic painting today.

Can you fit that into hygge?
Impressed and a good challenge you have inspired me to try the same challenge although I am already one down but I will start tomorrow, nay today, will do two to catch up.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great start to the new year with some sun and a load of ferocious ruffians in clogs with bells and sticks called the Ironmen and the ladies called the Severn Gilders who danced on the old iron bridge over the river Severn. You will all be pleased to know I resisted the Pork Pies :joyful:

IMG_2377.JPG

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me, this thread personifies hygge. Composed of variegated yarns, none merino, but all natural, none synthetic, yet together synthesising into a blended whole, warm and comfortable.

a631a29a0eeef6757fef6b6fc77c648f.jpg
Looking back over the past year, my vision may not be quite 20/20, but I think have begun to see some things more clearly than I did this time last year.

Saskia, are you from the hunger games...?

"GIRL ON FIRE"...

So spot on with the observations... Love it.

If the quiet Xmas (sans noisy neighbour) is a portent Then I think your going to OWN 2020.. xx

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

4.5 today

My NEW YEARS POST winner...:happy:

What a WONDERFUL way to have seen in the new year's...:D

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
".... And over to our South East Asia Correspondent, Koola One-ah.

Good morning, Koola, what the situation like now on the ground..? "
" good morning London.. The situation is still critical, but a feeling of composed calm had descended on the area.
I have with me JJ, a local resident..

JJ, how has this crisis affected you and your wife.?"

"Well, we've followed the evacuation plan to get to the beach asap.
It's been pretty calm, although we have seen some panic as a few seek out that 'Cool Spot' to ride out the Ragng heat in the town."

"Yes we have observed that as well, a very subdued panic.. How has the Mayor's surprise announcement of additional troops being deployed and the imposition of a presidential decree to stop the panic buying."

"It's gone down very well indeed.. extra Barmen & ice cream vendors h have been drafted in to help cope,a and supermarkets have done a sterling job keeping the fridge full of ice cold drinks during this catastrophe.
Our barman had excelled himself, he's taken NO chances that we might dehydrate ourselves by keeping us refreshed all day..
And the survivors all meet each night at our local watering points appointed by the government to discuss the day"

"So there you have it studio, stoic defiance in the face of the heat... Back to you."

Reactions: geefull

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
".... And over to our South East Asia Correspondent, Koola One-ah.

Good morning, Koola, what the situation like now on the ground..? "
" good morning London.. The situation is still critical, but a feeling of composed calm had descended on the area.
I have with me JJ, a local resident..

JJ, how has this crisis affected you and your wife.?"

"Well, we've followed the evacuation plan to get to the beach asap.
It's been pretty calm, although we have seen some panic as a few seek out that 'Cool Spot' to ride out the Ragng heat in the town."

"Yes we have observed that as well, a very subdued panic.. How has the Mayor's surprise announcement of additional troops being deployed and the imposition of a presidential decree to stop the panic buying."

"It's gone down very well indeed.. extra Barmen & ice cream vendors h have been drafted in to help cope,a and supermarkets have done a sterling job keeping the fridge full of ice cold drinks during this catastrophe.
Our barman had excelled himself, he's taken NO chances that we might dehydrate ourselves by keeping us refreshed all day..
And the survivors all meet each night at our local watering points appointed by the government to discuss the day"

"So there you have it studio, stoic defiance in the face of the heat... Back to you."

"A true account of heroism ... " The Sun

"Koola as a kuke-umber ... " The BBSea-Tidings

"One-ah is One Up on the bar and Two Up on the ice cream ..." The Daily Scoop

"Couple remain calm in the face of the warm ..." The Morning Coast

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Impressed and a good challenge you have inspired me to try the same challenge although I am already one down but I will start tomorrow, nay today, will do two to catch up.

Yes two paintings/drawings/sketches to catch up sounds brilliant!

I did this challenge to myself about 2 to 3 years ago, and I kept it up for a full year. And I did an awful lot of experimenting and different stuff.

A friend gave me an A3 pad 300gsm for Xmas, 12 pages. I am going to fill that in the first 12 days of this year. My thing all my life has been illustration and watercolour, but arthritis means I cannot hold a pen long enough to complete a fine detailed ink drawing any more. So it is now trying different media.

It is now 5;55 am and I have to start by 6 am (another challenge!).

So bye, and I will peek in this thread when I have a rest with cat later.

This is yesterday's painting! Not my best, but I will get better. It was mostly painted with a man's shaving brush! That's a new idea too. I couldn't find my palette knives, and trying to paint the boat with a rigger brush was a squiggle, my hand shakes! So used a Stanley knife as a palette knife to paint the boat!!!

IMG_02012020_054632_(900_x_1200_pixel).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and karen8967