What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 hugs to you and Dennis for the "Jesse Experiences." I have had similar ...
If you leave your door ajar, the cat of the house comes in and either gives you a rude awakening; or you wake up "on your own" (or so you think) only to realize you have acquired a bed buddy during the night who slipped in and curled up somewhere in your bed -- perhaps on top of you!
If you close your door, the cat of the house comes in anyway, after giving you a rude awakening and demanding admittance RIGHT MEOW or he/she will rouse the household with his/her persistent knocking! My non-animal-friendly BIL learned a lot about cats when he lost a pre-dawn argument with a big black Persian while visiting his DD and SIL.
Who over the age of 7 has the presence of mind to throw treats at dark o'clock in a strange house? :D
If you had the foresight to place a few beside your pill box on the nightstand, if you were me you would probably knock the whole KITNKABOODLE across the room along with the beside lamp, your glasses, and whatever book you'd been reading when you turned out the light.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s taken me years to wean myself off sugar in tea. I managed to cut back to 1/2 teaspoon but just couldn’t cut it out completely until someone told me to try drinking it black, then when I’d drunk as much as I could manage ( about 2 sips) to add a splash of milk and the sweetness the milk gives is such a treat after the harshness of black tea it became easier to drink. I persevered and now prefer it without sugar. Amazing, never thought I’d do it.
I agree with you that sugar in drinks, whether tea, coffee or soft drinks has a lot to answer for - so easy to drink several ounces a day like that without knowing.

Thank you for the tip about the tea. My parents always drank theirs black (ecchhhhh). I do like your tip about adding the milk after the first 2 sips. IMO the bitterness of black coffee is very slightly more palatable than the sharpness of black tea. :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist that is beautiful. Thank you for posting it.
Happy Birthday to your aunty.
t3313.gif

I hope your MIL is settling in well. I wish I could send her these:
t3515.gif

Thank you. Life is so different for each of us. Aunty is 98 lives on her own she says she's only just started to get aches, in her big toe :joyful: she's got lots of conversation, knows what is going on in the world and retains an incredible memory. MIL is 93 and sadly sleeps most of the time, shows no recomgnition of anything or anyone, feels like a body surviving with no person any longer in it, but we have no way of knowing, she may be trapped inside, locked in the doctor's call it, terrifying either way.

Love your emojis and really appreciate your best wishes.

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC happy 12th night to you and the KC from me and the girls. I never understand if you count 12 days from Christmas it falls 5 January but a lot of folk think its 6 January. When I was growing up 6 January was known as Little Christmas and we had a scaled down Christmas feast with comparative fasting between St Stephens (Boxing Day) and then. My mother held back a box of chocs and we had a roast chicken instead of turkey, second Christmas pudding, etc. It was also a religious day and we started it in Church.
I think some of Europe regarded it also.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm and @DJC3 Red wine is also my friend. I like most reds, drink mainly French, because I buy it cheap on visits, but enjoy Italian the most especially Negroamaro grape varieties.

PS. Just catching up on posts, Coffee mentioned, love this also, always black, never instant, must be in a coffee cup and as black as hell.

@Muddy Cyclist - Negroamaro. Got a really nice one from Morrisons over Christmas - about seven quid.
Koffy - yes, no instant thank you and not in one of those glass jug things that has been sitting in a cafe for several days going bitter.
I like a cafetiere- but as long as it’s freshly ground and black as you like then it’s all good.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 hugs to you and Dennis for the "Jesse Experiences." I have had similar ...
If you leave your door ajar, the cat of the house comes in and either gives you a rude awakening; or you wake up "on your own" (or so you think) only to realize you have acquired a bed buddy during the night who slipped in and curled up somewhere in your bed -- perhaps on top of you!
If you close your door, the cat of the house comes in anyway, after giving you a rude awakening and demanding admittance RIGHT MEOW or he/she will rouse the household with his/her persistent knocking! My non-animal-friendly BIL learned a lot about cats when he lost a pre-dawn argument with a big black Persian while visiting his DD and SIL.
Who over the age of 7 has the presence of mind to throw treats at dark o'clock in a strange house? :D
If you had the foresight to place a few beside your pill box on the nightstand, if you were me you would probably knock the whole KITNKABOODLE across the room along with the beside lamp, your glasses, and whatever book you'd been reading when you turned out the light.

Haha lovely! I did intend to take treats up with me next time I stay over but you’ve given me another level of worry now! I’m sure to knock my water glass over in the dark.
The 7yo usually sleeps with Jesse on the bed - he is so gentle and affectionate with the girls - she probably sneaks cat treats up to bed just to encourage him in.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the tip about the tea. My parents always drank theirs black (ecchhhhh). I do like your tip about adding the milk after the first 2 sips. IMO the bitterness of black coffee is very slightly more palatable than the sharpness of black tea. :)

Yes I agree, I can tolerate black coffee more than black tea.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist - Negroamaro. Got a really nice one from Morrisons over Christmas - about seven quid.
Koffy - yes, no instant thank you and not in one of those glass jug things that has been sitting in a cafe for several days going bitter.
I like a cafetiere- but as long as it’s freshly ground and black as you like then it’s all good.

I sent an after dinner coffee back in a restaurant once, I thought they had given me gravy by mistake it was completely unrecognisable as coffee. It came from one of those glass jugs kept warm on a heating element. My daughter later got a waitressing job at this place and said that her first job of the day was putting the coffee on - it then sat there from 11am until around midnight!

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will look out for that, don't usually shop in Morrisons but will Defoe be paying them a visit. With you in the coffee scene.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@SaskiaKC
about the creamer ingredients. there is something called "corn syrup solids" which I hope does not mean "high fructose corn syrup."

Curiosity led me to investigate.
According to google:

Corn syrup solids are made from concentrating corn syrup to less than 10 percent water. Also, the glucose content of the syrup must be at least 88 percent by weight to qualify as a corn syrup solid.

Bad news for your coffee creamer.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As MIL likes sheep No 1 son acquired a sheep cake - I didn't have any cake but I id eat a little cheese. 7 yo grandson loved using the cheese curler.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-05 at 21.03.39.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-05 at 21.03.39.png
    495.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sent an after dinner coffee back in a restaurant once, I thought they had given me gravy by mistake it was completely unrecognisable as coffee. It came from one of those glass jugs kept warm on a heating element. My daughter later got a waitressing job at this place and said that her first job of the day was putting the coffee on - it then sat there from 11am until around midnight!
Disgusting - it goes bitter in those monstrosities

Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC
about the creamer ingredients. there is something called "corn syrup solids" which I hope does not mean "high fructose corn syrup."

Curiosity led me to investigate.
According to google:

Corn syrup solids are made from concentrating corn syrup to less than 10 percent water. Also, the glucose content of the syrup must be at least 88 percent by weight to qualify as a corn syrup solid.

Bad news for your coffee creamer.

Yes, I'm afraid you're right about the bad news. Thank you for looking it up and telling me. :)
I guess I will stick with the cream, or try the coffee black again.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I agree, I can tolerate black coffee more than black tea.

I had a pleasant surprise in the tea aisle at the grocery store this afternoon. They now have peppermint tea, red (rooibos?) tea, and Oolong!!!!! I was going to buy a box of teabags but I could not make up my mind between all those. Come to think of it, I didn't see a box of one of my favorites, Darjeeling.
I don't make proper tea anyway, I usually get decaf, and bags, instead of loose tea to be actually brewed. But I have one bag of tea left from my last tea-shopping trip, and I am going to try it tomorrow, two sips black first, then with milk added to see if I like it. It is English Breakfast tea, another favorite of mine.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC happy 12th night to you and the KC from me and the girls. I never understand if you count 12 days from Christmas it falls 5 January but a lot of folk think its 6 January. When I was growing up 6 January was known as Little Christmas and we had a scaled down Christmas feast with comparative fasting between St Stephens (Boxing Day) and then. My mother held back a box of chocs and we had a roast chicken instead of turkey, second Christmas pudding, etc. It was also a religious day and we started it in Church.
I think some of Europe regarded it also.

I never knew much about the Twelve Days of Christmas (other than the song) until I joined the Episcopal Church. Then I met people who didn't put their trees or other decorations up until Christmas Eve, and didn't take them down until the Epiphany (January 6th). I started counting the 12 days beginning with December 25th as the first day of Christmas. So for me January 5th is the 12th day, and the night of January 5th is Twelfth Night, then January 6th is the Feast of the Epiphany, the visit of the Wise Men.

I liked reading about your family's keeping of Little Christmas. When I was growing up, I remember people wishing each other "Merry Christmas" all between Christmas Day and New Year's Day, but nowadays, here, people greet you on December 26th saying "Did you have a nice Christmas?" as if it were all over, when for my Episcopalian friends and me it's just getting started!

My tree is lit up tonight, and tomorrow I will take it and my other decorations down.

Last edited:

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to ian for pointing me toward this chatty thread. :)
5.8 this morning for me.

I think this thread will be good for me. I've been tending to feel a bit sorry for myself that I eat low carb and still have prediabetic fasting numbers and my postprandial numbers still flirt in the high normal.

I do get to see an endocrinologist tomorrow - I think because I have chronic kidney disease I qualified. Not sure what all to ask, but hoping to get some insight.