What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good morning from a very quiet, grandchildren free, dark and dangerous North.

The wonder wheel of peaceful rest and a restorative scotch came in at 4.3 this a.m.

The tinsel, lights, baubles and associated Christmas paraphernalia are now down, packed and delivered back to attic cupboards. Mrs Miggins and her twin sister went over to our little house on the prairie yesterday afternoon in order to close it down until the ides of March or whenever it feels warm enough to bring it back to life.

@ianpspurs , family day sounds wonderful and an excellent excuse for opening all sorts of exotic booze.
@True Blue - I don’t buy food in packets or tins but I do shop daily for food. Tinned tomatoes are a very convenient buy and I do try to remember that I can use over ripe tomatoes just as well. On carnivour at present so really only using meat, cheese and eggs for a while.
@gennepher , love your pictures.
@jjraak - great holiday journal - so many places, so little time.

Have a great day if you can, have pointless discussions on the correct evening for 12th Night if you can’t.
Ah, @dunelm the pointless discussions of when to take Christmas decorations down indeed. Most people including myself seem to take them down on the 5th. Today is the anniversary of my dear dad's passing so it's a sad day anyway but tomorrow is my birthday ( Epiphany/12th night) and the house suddenly looks so bare without them. Enjoy your day everyone and sparkle with or without the decorations.:D
(fbs 7.9)

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, @dunelm the pointless discussions of when to take Christmas decorations down indeed. Most people including myself seem to take them down on the 5th. Today is the anniversary of my dear dad's passing so it's a sad day anyway but tomorrow is my birthday ( Epiphany/12th night) and the house suddenly looks so bare without them. Enjoy your day everyone and sparkle with or without the decorations.:D
(fbs 7.9)
A sad for the anniversary of your dad’s passing.
A happy in anticipation of your birthday.
A funny for the 12th night bit - mine is tonight but you could discuss it with the Magi tomorrow (other brands of sauces available and I will be discussing it with the Hendersons Relish this evening).

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy 12th Day of Christmas, everyone.
7.7 this morning (better than a 12.0).
@gennepher I like your painting. The leaves look blue on my laptop. I like their color.
I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one who loves forbidden bread. Misery loves company. I am sorry it gave you cystitis.
@jjraak I love the photos.
@ianpspurs Happy Birthday to your MIL.

t3301.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think Duke Orsino may have had diabetes; he certainly seems aware of how it feels, especially after 12 days of feasting:

If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
--Twelfth Night

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke to a 5.6 after a very broken night. I stayed at daughter’s last night. First unexpected bit of sleeplessness was when 9yo granddaughter came in to me about 11:30 just as I was about to turn off my light. She asked how I get to sleep, she often has trouble herself so we read stories for a while then I went and sat on the floor in her room until she dropped off, gone midnight.
Second disturbance about 2:30am when Jesse their cat jumped on my bed. Frightened the life out of me. Jesse rules the house, managing to be the boss of 2 large dogs as well as the human occupants. As I sat up in fright - he squirmed round to the warm bit of bed I’d been lying on and made himself comfy, glaring at me as if daring me to object. I tried a gentle stroke as a precursor to hefting him off, but I got swiped with a paw, his tail swayed warningly and he settled down again! After about 1/2 hr of trying to get him to move I plucked up courage, took a deep breath and lifted him into the hall. I could sense his disgruntlement, but shut the door firmly, laid awake for another hour or so feeling it was a false victory and wondering how he’d get his own back later.
Went swimming with the girls this morning which blew away the cobwebs. When I mentioned my nocturnal encounter with Jesse 7you girl just shrugged and said she’d have just gone and got a treat and thrown it outside the door for him, now why didn’t I think of that?
Hope your family day is going well @ianpspurs Whiskey galore! Sounds like a great party.
I love your picture @gennepher I think it’s easy to be overly critical of ourselves, I’d be more than happy to hang it on my wall.
@dunelm the carnivory seems to be doing your bg good. Are you off alcohol for Jan too?
@jjraak more lovely photos, you seem to be living life to the absolute fullest and have packed so much in. That’s the way to do it!

Reactions: karen8967

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. @DJC3 I thought you might be the on call expert in the red wine thread. MIL doesn't like champagne - I found out after buying her a Jereboam once:banghead:

Haha I don’t usually feel qualified to answer people’s diabetes queries but I do like a glass of red so felt I was on safer ground there!( though I prefer Malbec to merlot usually)
Oh what a shame re the jereboam, hope everyone rallied round to help out?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 hug for the disturbed night but well done on getting the better of Jesse. Is she so named after Postman Pat’s cat? She sounds a right character and you’re right cats do rule the house. I wonder what Dennis would think!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm the carnivory seems to be doing your bg good. Are you off alcohol for Jan too?
[

Dry January - no. Wine is my friend. Similarly, I am not participating in the 10 year challenge that has recently appeared on farce bok. I am pretty sure that no one is interested in what people looked like 10 years ago but these daft things tend to crop up every January like New Years Resolutions - no!
I have though dusted off my bicycle and put the back wheel on the back wheel resistance thing.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 hug for the disturbed night but well done on getting the better of Jesse. Is she so named after Postman Pat’s cat? She sounds a right character and you’re right cats do rule the house. I wonder what Dennis would think!

Jesse, oddly is a he. Named by granddaughter who was 3 at the time, so it could well be after Postman Pat’s cat, (or Jesse James more fittingly) He is a marvel of nature and demands ( and receives ) respect from everyone. He is still teaching Dennis how to behave with due deference in the presence of greatness. Jesse is so cool, he will stare at D then pointedly turn his back as if daring the confused dog to come closer - it’s like watching a game of ‘what’s the time Mr Wolf’ D usually whines a bit and carefully tiptoes backwards, and we can all breathe again.
I am under no illusion that I got the better of him though.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dry January - no. Wine is my friend. Similarly, I am not participating in the 10 year challenge that has recently appeared on farce bok. I am pretty sure that no one is interested in what people looked like 10 years ago but these daft things tend to crop up every January like New Years Resolutions - no!
I have though dusted off my bicycle and put the back wheel on the back wheel resistance thing.

Sounds a far more sensible approach.

Reactions: jjraak and SaskiaKC

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for posting your meals.
I have gone back to putting cream in my coffee to see if it is more filling than the powdered nonfat creamer I'd started using. At least 'til my doc appointment in not quite 3 weeks.

I really love cream in my coffee, I could quite easily overdo it and end up having far too much cream in a day. I’m limiting myself to 2 coffees a day with 2 teaspoon cream in each. Any more coffee must be taken black. I’m hoping eventually to just have it black all the time, life would be a lot simpler then, but having given up so much with this WOE it seems one step too far! Hope it works for you better than the creamer but that you don’t get too hooked on it!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really love cream in my coffee, I could quite easily overdo it and end up having far too much cream in a day. I’m limiting myself to 2 coffees a day with 2 teaspoon cream in each. Any more coffee must be taken black. I’m hoping eventually to just have it black all the time, life would be a lot simpler then, but having given up so much with this WOE it seems one step too far! Hope it works for you better than the creamer but that you don’t get too hooked on it!

Thanks! :)
I usually have 2 cups of coffee a day, so hopefully having them with cream will be better for me than whatever ingredients are in that powdered "creamer".
My parents drank their coffee black all the time ... I think that may be one reason I never developed a taste for it early! I would only drink it if I was at some outdoor event in the wintertime, when I drank it to be warm. Then, sometime, somewhere, I tried it with cream and sugar.
And that's where the trouble started ... :)
I still only like tea if it has milk and sugar, so I don't drink it nowadays. :(

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A busy day, cleaning two very dirty motor vehicles, VW campers always seem to be squeaky clean so could not leave my mud splattered van much longer as the VW community where beginning to look at me disapprovingly :joyful:. Then visited my Mil and my 98 year old Aunty who's birthday is today. So daily painting challenge inspired by @gennepher was rushed so a quick dashed off 20 minute watercolour A5 size of Chee Dale from a photograph I stumbled across on my iPad this morning which I took on a walk last year.

IMG_2389.JPG

@dunelm and @DJC3 Red wine is also my friend. I like most reds, drink mainly French, because I buy it cheap on visits, but enjoy Italian the most especially Negroamaro grape varieties.

PS. Just catching up on posts, Coffee mentioned, love this also, always black, never instant, must be in a coffee cup and as black as hell.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

"Farce bok" -- I love it. "Farce" is exactly what it is. :) :(

Reactions: gennepher

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
05-1-2020
@SaskiaKC used to have tea, with semi skimmed milk, but needed to increase my calorie intake in the morning. Funny thing about that post is the meals were meant to be in a different thread. The lunch was definitely non standard too.
Have you checked the ingredients in your coffee creamer? Some contain glucose syrup!
No FBG this morning have run out of test strips. Ordered them just before Xmas, but obviously the postal service is currently a bit different to normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: trick60

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A busy day, cleaning two very dirty motor vehicles, VW campers always seem to be squeaky clean so could not leave my mud splattered van much longer as the VW community where beginning to look at me disapprovingly :joyful:. Then visited my Mil and my 98 year old Aunty who's birthday is today. So daily painting challenge inspired by @gennepher was rushed so a quick dashed off 20 minute watercolour A5 size of Chee Dale from a photograph I stumbled across on my iPad this morning which I took on a walk last year.

View attachment 37662

@dunelm and @DJC3 Red wine is also my friend. I like most reds, drink mainly French, because I buy it cheap on visits, but enjoy Italian the most especially Negroamaro grape varieties.

PS. Just catching up on posts, Coffee mentioned, love this also, always black, never instant, must be in a coffee cup and as black as hell.
Love the watercolour @Muddy Cyclist Reminds me when I used to go walks besides water, with J many years ago.

Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Muddy Cyclist that is beautiful. Thank you for posting it.
Happy Birthday to your aunty.
t3313.gif

I hope your MIL is settling in well. I wish I could send her these:
t3515.gif

Reactions: jjraak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
05-1-2020
@SaskiaKC used to have tea, with semi skimmed milk, but needed to increase my calorie intake in the morning.
Have you checked the ingredients in your coffee creamer? Some contain glucose syrup!
No FBG this morning have run out of test strips. Ordered them just before Xmas, but obviously the postal service is currently a bit different to normal.

I hope that this
t4212.gif

Will soon turn into this
t4202.gif

Thanks for the tip about the creamer ingredients. I don't see glucose syrup listed, but there is something called "corn syrup solids" which I hope does not mean "high fructose corn syrup."

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! :)
I usually have 2 cups of coffee a day, so hopefully having them with cream will be better for me than whatever ingredients are in that powdered "creamer".
My parents drank their coffee black all the time ... I think that may be one reason I never developed a taste for it early! I would only drink it if I was at some outdoor event in the wintertime, when I drank it to be warm. Then, sometime, somewhere, I tried it with cream and sugar.
And that's where the trouble started ... :)
I still only like tea if it has milk and sugar, so I don't drink it nowadays. :(

It’s taken me years to wean myself off sugar in tea. I managed to cut back to 1/2 teaspoon but just couldn’t cut it out completely until someone told me to try drinking it black, then when I’d drunk as much as I could manage ( about 2 sips) to add a splash of milk and the sweetness the milk gives is such a treat after the harshness of black tea it became easier to drink. I persevered and now prefer it without sugar. Amazing, never thought I’d do it.
I agree with you that sugar in drinks, whether tea, coffee or soft drinks has a lot to answer for - so easy to drink several ounces a day like that without knowing.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 37662

Another stunning picture, you have such talent.
I’ve never come across Negroamero grape variety so I’m really looking forward to ferreting some out. Thanks for the tip.
Agree re instant coffee, a travesty!