What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning each. Different meter = 5.6 - high but no telescope needed to spot reasonable levels. MIL's 90th today = carby food for guests - people can't enjoy cupcakes it must be a fashion thing:arghh: Test for facebook portal to video conference those who can't make it (Welsh livestock don't do 90th birthdays). Time with her great grandchildren and vid conf others, use up some of the wine lake and other alkeroll. MIL likes her Whisky - (her mum did and lived to 99 - almost made 100 despite me giving her a litre bottle with a straw one NYE). Later may be NFL + some of the bourbon (s?) I totally avoided all 2019. Back to some kind of normal by Tuesday. Have a great day. @DJC3 I thought you might be the on call expert in the red wine thread. MIL doesn't like champagne - I found out after buying her a Jereboam once:banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg at 3 am 7.6

A few days ago I was walking past the fresh baked bread aisle in Lidl. It is the first thing you walk past as you go in. Yes I had eaten before I went in. But the low GI seeded loaf spoke to me ...

I ate it for two days, it was delicious, but it has raised my blood sugars. But it has caused another health problem which I have half suspected before, but it was confirmed this time. It triggered off my cystitis. I will never be tempted by freshly baked bread again. My brain has written the words in yellow (why yellow?) across the image of bread in my mind. Is it the wheat in the bread?

I didn't sleep well last night so fbg was taken at 3am and I got up to paint. A3 size with acrylics. I gave myself a couple of hours. I am sorry I did now, because the whole thing looks overworked to me, and I don't like it. It doesn't have the apparent freshness and spontaneity of yesterday's painting. So I am not a happy bunny.
Here it is...
IMG_05012020_072925_(750_x_1000_pixel).jpg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMG_20200102_142024.jpg

Morning.
Best of week 6.1 fbg this morning.
After one or two pretty high scores I've dropped all rice and noodles, chili sauces and things seem to have settled a bit..... Thank god, or it might have to have been the beer next...eek:***::***::***:

A wonderful week
The 3 ISLAND cable car to the waterpark was SPECTACULAR..
The 4 island snorkelling safari was fantastic.

And since been busy getting lost on the scooter, and finding beaches we didn't expect.. And many we actually intended to go to..lol

Never made Saigon.. But not sure we really missed out given how good the weeks have been here..XXX

Gratuitous Pics below for those curious.
Cane car arriving at waterpark
Pretty cat award goes to pineapple cat
Our lunchtime view of the beach today.
Lauren goes all Korean on me in pose by scooter
Lauren in a lotus moment
Cable car looking down as we cross to first island
Cable car view
Us .as dictated by madame

And top pic.. Lauren with two old favourites.

IMG_20200102_140004~01.jpg

IMG_20200103_173313~01.jpg

IMG_20200103_173419.jpg

IMG_20200105_120221~01.jpg
IMG_20200104_165529~01.jpg
IMG_20200101_181104.jpg

IMG_20200102_155344~01.jpg

IMG_20200102_155518~01.jpg
IMG_20200102_155137~01.jpg

Last edited:

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/evening folks, a 5.7 on the dice, good with that after Chinese food last night.
Christmas was put away yesterday morning, the Christmas twig was removed and the rest of the day was spent shovelling pine needles off the carpet, back to fake next time.
Granddaughter goes back to uni today, she knows that she has emptied my wallet so there’s no point staying any longer, she won’t be alone when she gets back to her dorm, she left bread and milk out in the kitchen when she left so they’ll give her a cheery welcome back.
Last day of freedom before the daily drudge, enjoy it folks, I’m off to see if I still fit in my work togs.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 37657

Morning.
Best of week 6.1 fbg this morning.
After one or two pretty high scores I've dropped all rice and noodles, chili sauces and things seem to have settled a bit..... Thank god, or it might have to have been the beer next...eek:***::***::***:

A wonderful week
The 3 ISLAND cable car to the waterpark was SPECTACULAR..
The 4 island snorkelling safari was fantastic.

And since been busy getting lost and finding beaches we didn't expect.. And many we actually intended to go to..lol

Never made Saigon.. But not sure we really missed out given how good the weeks have been here..XXX

Gratuitous Pics below for those curious.
Pretty cat award goes to pineapple cat
Our lunchtime view of the beach today.
Lauren goes all Korean on me in pose by scooter
Lauren in a lotus moment
Cable car looking down as we cross to first island
Cable car view
Us .a..dictated by madame

And top pic.. Lauren with two old favourites.

View attachment 37656
View attachment 37651
View attachment 37652
View attachment 37647 View attachment 37648 View attachment 37650
View attachment 37653
View attachment 37654 View attachment 37655

Absolutely amazing.
I love these photos.
Brilliant!

Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that's very impressive gen, "just something I knocked up in an hour" love it, stunning skills.

Thank you very much for the compliment.

Granddaughter goes back to uni today, she knows that she has emptied my wallet so there’s no point staying any longer, she won’t be alone when she gets back to her dorm, she left bread and milk out in the kitchen when she left so they’ll give her a cheery welcome back.
Last day of freedom before the daily drudge, enjoy it folks, I’m off to see if I still fit in my work togs.

I had to smile at granddaughter leaving out bread and milk :)
Enjoy your freedom today.
May you have a brilliant day!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.2 today, proper home made curry is the only way.
@ianpspurs have a fabulous family day you seem to have all bases covered. MIL will be thrilled and if you can’t enjoy a drink at her age...@jjraak thanks for the pics and so glad you both enjoyed it so much, safe journey home.@gennepher thanks for another lovely painting, I enjoy seeing them every day. @trick60 hope the youngster settles back in quickly and you! I took down all the decs yesterday, Mr PM has to deal with the tree today..
have a great Sunday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning 5.7 for me today, creeping up again and like so many here such low carb intake.

@gennepher I think you are being super critical of your painting it works for me. Rules of thirds applied, colours work, contrast is good and it's only the 5th day of the year. I find that it I'm not happy I put it away and don't look at it for a week or so, when you do next look it will be through different eyes as you forget the frustration of the creative moment. It's good be pleased.

@jjraak obviously a good times been enjoyed, thanks for posting the pictures.

@ianpspurs hope the 90th party is fabulous and MIL appreciates all the hard work.

Sun painting the trees around us golden, promise of a fine day.

Enjoy everything you do today, give it all you have.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg at 3 am 7.6

A few days ago I was walking past the fresh baked bread aisle in Lidl. It is the first thing you walk past as you go in. Yes I had eaten before I went in. But the low GI seeded loaf spoke to me ...

I ate it for two days, it was delicious, but it has raised my blood sugars. But it has caused another health problem which I have half suspected before, but it was confirmed this time. It triggered off my cystitis. I will never be tempted by freshly baked bread again. My brain has written the words in yellow (why yellow?) across the image of bread in my mind. Is it the wheat in the bread?

I didn't sleep well last night so fbg was taken at 3am and I got up to paint. A3 size with acrylics. I gave myself a couple of hours. I am sorry I did now, because the whole thing looks overworked to me, and I don't like it. It doesn't have the apparent freshness and spontaneity of yesterday's painting. So I am not a happy bunny.
Here it is...
View attachment 37649

So agree with @Muddy Cyclist
I love that pic.. Very creative.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate it for two days, it was delicious, but it has raised my blood sugars. But it has caused another health problem which I have half suspected before, but it was confirmed this time. It triggered off my cystitis.
That's sort of good in a weird way as it has confirmed your suspicion about wheat. Makes it so much easier to avoid wheat in the future.

I had something similar after a year of low carb and completely zero wheat, sugar and starches. My daughter was visiting and she thought that I could now have the occasional treat on special occasions.

Luckily we were at home and not at a restaurant. I had piece of lemon tart, which had always been one of my favourite deserts. Started feeling really nauseous. Won't go into detail - but what followed involved a bucket.

Over the next couple of hours the lemon tart exited my body the same way it entered it - it wasn't pleasant. What made it worse was that my body had not tried to digest the wheat at all - it came out the same as it went in.
This turned out to be brilliant because the memory of it forever changed my view that, wheat, desserts and sweet stuff are treats. I look at them now and think yuk.

Reactions: DJC3 and jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher I think you are being super critical of your painting it works for me. Rules of thirds applied, colours work, contrast is good and it's only the 5th day of the year. I find that it I'm not happy I put it away and don't look at it for a week or so, when you do next look it will be through different eyes as you forget the frustration of the creative moment. It's good be pleased.

Thanks for the compliment, but it is too heavy for my liking.
I wish the sun was painting the trees here. Just got grey clouds overcasting everything.
Have a good day.

Reactions: dunelm

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from a very quiet, grandchildren free, dark and dangerous North.

The wonder wheel of peaceful rest and a restorative scotch came in at 4.3 this a.m.

The tinsel, lights, baubles and associated Christmas paraphernalia are now down, packed and delivered back to attic cupboards. Mrs Miggins and her twin sister went over to our little house on the prairie yesterday afternoon in order to close it down until the ides of March or whenever it feels warm enough to bring it back to life.

@ianpspurs , family day sounds wonderful and an excellent excuse for opening all sorts of exotic booze.
@True Blue - I don’t buy food in packets or tins but I do shop daily for food. Tinned tomatoes are a very convenient buy and I do try to remember that I can use over ripe tomatoes just as well. On carnivour at present so really only using meat, cheese and eggs for a while.
@gennepher , love your pictures.
@jjraak - great holiday journal - so many places, so little time.

Have a great day if you can, have pointless discussions on the correct evening for 12th Night if you can’t.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's sort of good in a weird way as it has confirmed your suspicion about wheat. Makes it so much easier to avoid wheat in the future.

I had something similar after a year of low carb and completely zero wheat, sugar and starches. My daughter was visiting and she thought that I could now have the occasional treat on special occasions.

Luckily we were at home and not at a restaurant. I had piece of lemon tart, which had always been one of my favourite deserts. Started feeling really nauseous. Won't go into detail - but what followed involved a bucket.
Over the next couple of hours the lemon tart exited my body the same way it entered it - it wasn't pleasant. What made it worse was that my body had not tried to digest the wheat at all - it came out the same as it went in.
This turned out to be brilliant because the memory of it forever changed my view that, wheat, desserts and sweet stuff are treats. I look at them now and think yuk.

Oh dear. That was very horrid.
Yes, that does vastly change one’s perception of ‘treats’.
Very easy to think ‘yuk’ now.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to post fbs 5.6. Washing machine is bleeping - need to sort out washing then off to Felbrigg Hall for a lovely walk in the woods and coffee in the cafe.
Note to self - remember to pack the 100% chocolate for lunch.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I broke my promise to myself and have gone from A5 to A4 for my 4th painting of the year and slow spent 1 hour instead of 30 mins, my excuse being it's a sketch that might work for my Seascape Commission which has been requested A1 size. I think I will have to make the sky a little more moody and the refelction in the damp sand more prominent to please them, we shall see...

I have included the photo they sent, too dark for a watercolour IMO, need to get the finished one between the painting and photo.

Yes, I know I have also turned it around but the view down Barmouth Beach is much better towards Harlech. :)

View attachment 37629

Painting so much better then the pic..imho.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 today
Yesterday was cheese and mushroom omelette
Aldi choc n nut bar 5.9g
Naked chicken and donner kebab with chili sauce and garlic mayo.
Always up slightly morning after due to protein amount. But I'm not eating a naan bread which would have about 80g carbs!!! Its like eating cardboard anyway so I dont miss them.

Read article which I found quite interesting For info:

https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-5-14

I'm doing a social media blog friends and acquaintances that might want to lose a few lb the LC way or control blood sugars. More time consuming than I anticipated. But happy to help. Getting lots of thank you messages so the posts are helping.

Will catch up on thread later today.

Happy Saturday folks

Late to the show here, Deb's.
But what a great read.
If you see us as a mass of atoms and energy,
The very idea we are using the wrong fuel, or more likely too much of it, makes so much sense for why LCHF works in so many cases.

It just adds to the infuriation, that I.. And I am, was so lucky to find help here.

To think I could have missed this, and still be starving myself stupid just to stand still.. IF I was lucky... Just makes me incandescent with rage that the medical establishment has dragged it's feet so very so badly while This is KNOWN & UNDERSTOOD....beyond belief.

To think so many are left doomed and allowed to drift into the complications, is an affront to all that I though medicines was all about.
Hippocratic oathes, yet we still advice SO badly and ignore a perfectly capable solution...massive facepalm moment.

Would love to see a class action, like they have in States taking THAT imbecilic guidance to task in a court of law., just to see the establishment wrap themselves in Knots trying to say why abandoning huge segments of the population in need of help.. WAS ever the RIGHT thing to do.....(#furious emoji)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.6 today

a night of two halves for me ;) got off to sleep, woke up to the bathroom then lay awake for a couple of hours before dropping off again, then I overslept. 'Such is life' as my nan used to say :hilarious:

Casserole for lunch with mum is already made so just the veggies to prepare this morning. If it stays dry I'll take Katy out for a walk after dinner later whilst mr gee packs away his mum's Christmas decorations.

Hope your day treats you well :)