What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all.

6.3 mmo/lt at 0600. My hypothesis of yesterday was correct. Raised BG when sticking to LCHF, no booze and not too much meat/protein does indicate weight loss for me, a kg since New Year. I'm not going to be a slave to this for all 365 days this year though. A little of what you fancy one day a month won't hurt?

Loving this mild weather. Even put my repaired sail cover back on my boat yesterday without getting cold,

Have a great day.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I hope all goes really well with your appointment today, take care and please accept virtual hugs and real positive thoughts for your day.

Reactions: DJC3

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Protein, smotein already:angelic: BTW, I don't/won't post in what have you eaten today anymore but have gone native a little and signed up to the DD keto 2 month plan - will try when we move; will also try a CGM then. Idea is to test my doubts/cynicism to destruction.
Edited to make last word more tasteful
That sounds like a really interesting experiment. A brilliant idea to use the CGM then as it will give you so much information on what is happening.

Reactions: gennepher

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone else ever followed a Diet Doctor meal plan? I just checked what they sent me and 2 things struck me. Portion sizes look stupidly small and almost no fibre - severe transit issues worries me. Not holding out much hope of being able to last this for long but completely understand how people lose weight on these plans. Absolutely nothing in the plan I wouldn't eat but I suspect I will be starving by end of day 2. How did you guys who tried this manage?
Your experiment is looking even more interesting. I have read somewhere (or watched a video) that fibre in our diet isn't necessary but I haven't ever experimented with almost no fibre. Will be really interested to hear how you get on.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinking of you today @DJC3 and looking forward to reading of the celebratory champers after. Rubbish 5.8 for me today but 40 mins on exercise bike watching '89 49ers season - battling draw IMHO. Have a great day.
Edit: First exercise bike since Dec 5th. Am also having coffee afterwards and did same walk yesterday as Dec 4th. Not perfectly scientific as Dec 4th was Nordic walk but I need to slay that dragon. Oh, and thinking of you @DJC3 :angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 after no food at all yesterday. Abdo pain has dulled to a mere twinge so should manage the tube trip to the Royal Marsden ok.
Many thanks to all who have sent me good wishes, @Muddy Cyclist and @PenguinMum this morning. I’ll let you know later how it goes. It’s such a fabulous place, I get the scan in the morning and see my consultant Mr Strauss in clinic in the afternoon, very efficient. I always see him, never an underling and he is such a wonderful chap, never fails to make me feel optimistic. We have abbreviated his name in the family Whatsapp group to LMS ( Lovely Mr Strauss) we are all under his spell!
Today my middle daughter can’t come with me, Mr C is coming but she has accompanied me to every visit so far, so she feels a bit like my version of a footballer’s lucky pants. Daft to be superstitious I know.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.9 at 4:30 am

Painting this morning.
9FAC5DA7-F7B9-416E-B914-2F50775A279E.jpeg

Tools used - two shaving brushes (as paint brushes) to paint, two fine rigger brushes (for the trees), and a tiny natural make up sponge. And acrylic paints.

This one is A4 sized, as opposed to the larger A3 of the last few days.
I don't like it because of the frustration with painting in a smaller size.
Also I didn't get the luminosity of the area round the misty sun that I wanted. I accidentally got some black in that area, and had to wipe it out and then dry it and paint it white and rework it. That did not make me happy...

I will do this smaller A4 sized for next few days to see how I get along with the size.

Anyways thanks to @PenguinMum for suggesting The Works. I went yesterday to the clearance outlet. They had odds and ends of stuff I have never seen in the normal Works shops. I got some 500ml System 3 acrylics for half price (I've never seen System 3 at The Works ever before). And some other stuff. And paper. They had a watercolour pad 230gsm, but it was smaller than A3 but larger than A4, (15x10.5"). I like the longer shape of it.. All I need to do is prime the pages in advance, and it will be fine for acrylics. So I bought all they had....

I don't know if it is a regular Works line. But I have enough paper for a few months now!!!

I just cannot convince myself to like the above painting. But I have spent an hour on it, so I stop now! I think it is the proportions and smaller size of the A4 paper.

Have a good day.
Back in bed with cat now. I had a disturbed night's sleep, so I don't feel in the best of moods. Feel dissatisfied with stuff this morning. You know the way you get a sadness descend for no apparent reason? Got to get rid of this feeling. So going to have a nap, and I will wake up bright and cheery.
Hugs for those who need them
Take care.
The day can only get better!

Reactions: karen8967

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
JJ is back in da house..whoop whoop

so missed you guys..xxx
did log in each day when i could, but i missed wayy too many posts..apologies one and all.

all over the shop this am
a long bum flight back

(can i say bum even though i mean loong ass-ed ;))

way over 13 hours plus in the air, add in the terminal and travelling to and from..hell of a long day.

wonderful, wonderful holiday.lovely people, the Vietnamese, met a great bunch of people too, sunbathed, rode, swam, danced, drank and just partied way more then i should for my age, for the whole two weeks...can't recommend it enough...Phu Quoc., Vietnam
massive developments going up, but we got a real village, undisturbed sleep, empty roads to travel, not one bit of bother anywhere, prices cheap.. and the food by sea, the best madame's ever had..and she knows her foods.

so home, hungry ..a quick fry up.. eggs, streaky bacon, mushrooms, toms and toast...big mug of tea..food of the gods ..:D

up a few times last night dumping carbs, i think.

yep pretty good most days, but last few days went rogue.
ate things i shouldn't..drank more then i should..but more of that in later posts.

So not lchf last few days and flight home was deffo not either.

awoke this morning tired and ravenous...a small ramekin of beans on toast..(the carb lure is strong obi -wan)
so i can now say with certainty.

I LOOOVE holidays...:D

and carbs DO hit me in interesting evil ways.

too many carbs for me is like too many drinks..my body just tries to flush them away like any other diuretic.

HUNGER..is back with a vengeance..so that HAS to go asap.

damaged knee in first week fall,..(still horrified at how quickly THAT could have gone SO wrong..:wideyed::***: )

seemed to be getting better, but hi carb and the inflammation kicked in.
so lo carb has helped MY inflammation issues

so a lo carb/keto route once i stabilise today to get me back into the safety zone.

so the journey back starts here..this am a 6.7,
but expected much, much worse.if i'm honest:wacky:

so grinning a toothy suntanned smile at the instrument of best guesses.
hope it does better by me tomorrow.

love ya all
..nice to be back...(ish..:hilarious: )

will catch up later, but best wished to you @DJC for the visit.
hope all goes well.

and for others of us..have a great day
best wishes with you all for a good day today.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your experiment is looking even more interesting. I have read somewhere (or watched a video) that fibre in our diet isn't necessary but I haven't ever experimented with almost no fibre. Will be really interested to hear how you get on.

My diet at the moment is meats, cheeses, fish, eggs, nuts. I may have a tiny bit of dried fruit and double cream. I drink tea and coffee. I don't eat any vegetables apart from a little red onion if I have beef broth.
I think that equates to very little fibre. Does it?
I have no problems with Number 2's with this way of eating.
Last time I saw the continence nurse, recently, she showed me a chart of photographs of Number 2's?!?!? Blimey.
Which one are you she said?
I pointed to one. That one I said.
Perfect, the continence nurse said, now keep on eating all your vegetables and fibre and potatoes and you will have perfect Number 2's.

I don't think so. I kept my mouth shut about my diet. If I eat what she suggests for 'perfect' Number 2's I would be in agony with tummy pains and constipated.

I don't need fibre.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a book of No2's..to look at...:wideyed::***:

glad yours are good.

i found for me the loo breaks (;)) are fewer apart.
and what was once a day easy, is now every other.

wee, yep, that's as was.

i did read chia seeds give the fibre if needed, i went celery and veggies myself.
plus the flax seeds bread and rolls help me out

agree also read fibre not so necessary as we get enough as it is
Not sure Kellogg would agree with their marketing team depending on all the extra "roughage"
to help them sell their enhanced natural goodness flakes of wholesomeness.:rolleyes:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 after no food at all yesterday. Abdo pain has dulled to a mere twinge so should manage the tube trip to the Royal Marsden ok.
Many thanks to all who have sent me good wishes, @Muddy Cyclist and @PenguinMum this morning. I’ll let you know later how it goes. It’s such a fabulous place, I get the scan in the morning and see my consultant Mr Strauss in clinic in the afternoon, very efficient. I always see him, never an underling and he is such a wonderful chap, never fails to make me feel optimistic. We have abbreviated his name in the family Whatsapp group to LMS ( Lovely Mr Strauss) we are all under his spell!
Today my middle daughter can’t come with me, Mr C is coming but she has accompanied me to every visit so far, so she feels a bit like my version of a footballer’s lucky pants. Daft to be superstitious I know.
Have a good hospital appointment @DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
a book of No2's..to look at...:wideyed::***:

glad yours are good.

i found for me the loo breaks (;)) are fewer apart.
and what was once a day easy, is now every other.

wee, yep, that's as was.

i did read chia seeds give the fibre if needed, i went celery and veggies myself.
plus the flax seeds bread and rolls help me out

agree also read fibre not so necessary as we get enough as it is
Not sure Kellogg would agree with their marketing team depending on all the extra "roughage"
to help them sell their enhanced natural goodness flakes of wholesomeness.:rolleyes:
Seems to be, like diet and bg control, No 2s and fibre are a very N=1 experience/treatment. The chia seeds, unground flaxseeds, inulin and as much fibre as I can eat plus exercise is all that stops transit being the most horrendous (and novel) experience. DD meal plans not filling me with excitement from that aspect. Good to hear you are back safely and had a great time.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My diet at the moment is meats, cheeses, fish, eggs, nuts. I may have a tiny bit of dried fruit and double cream. I drink tea and coffee. I don't eat any vegetables apart from a little red onion if I have beef broth.
I think that equates to very little fibre. Does it?
I have no problems with Number 2's with this way of eating.
Last time I saw the continence nurse, recently, she showed me a chart of photographs of Number 2's?!?!? Blimey.
Which one are you she said?
I pointed to one. That one I said.
Perfect, the continence nurse said, now keep on eating all your vegetables and fibre and potatoes and you will have perfect Number 2's.

I don't think so. I kept my mouth shut about my diet. If I eat what she suggests for 'perfect' Number 2's I would be in agony with tummy pains and constipated.

I don't need fibre.
I think that your diet does qualify as low fibre.

My diet actually is quite similar and it is only the 15g of inulin and the 20g of flaxseeds that bump my fibre up - and thats not every day.

I definitely wouldn't have perfect number 2s and the nurse would be telling me to drastically cut my fibre as she would think that I am getting way way too much fibre.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning folks from the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of slight dissapointments followed by a “told you so” moment came in at 4.5 this a.m.

The slight disappointment was due to my HbA1c results coming in at 41 (up from 36). The “told you so” moment was the expected post Christmas excess moment. On the more positive side, it’s still in the normal gang (just). PPG meeting last night. We have 50 patients who’s HbA1c is over 70 - just wonder how they are still going. Mind you it’s a big practice and the remaining diabetes patients, about 300, are well managed.

@gennepher - I wonder if taking some inulin may help with number 2’s? I have been on pure carnivour since the new year and the inulin seems to help.
@jjraak - good to read that you had a blast - watch that knee.

Must be koffy time, have a great day if you can, try adding an illustrated book of no 2’s to your collection if you can’t.