What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak Welcome back! I'm glad you and Lauren of Arabia got home, I hope you get some rest. Thank goodness your fall wasn't any worse than it was!

@gennepher thank you for posting your lovely painting. I was interested to learn that you don't eat vegetables, because I have just about quit eating them. I keep thinking I should eat more of them, but my tum does not agree, and they tend to turn #2s into 3s, and 4s and ... !!!
I will try to draw you a horse but I'm afraid you will be disappointed ...

I hope it goes well. :)

Thank you @SaskiaKC

I will not be disappointed in your drawing of a horse!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
10-01-2020
@Auto E love the wildlife pics. I would prerer the bear at binocular distance.
Tested about 7.15am
But had been up since around four, got bored after over an hour of lying awake trying to get back to sleep.
Thought the lack of sleep would show in a higher number pleased with a 5.8.
Edited to add date.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

20200109_064834~2.jpg

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So here is Day number 9, I think, painting, rushed as it's a birthday card for Mrs MC who is 70 on Sunday, we always create each other's cards. Mrs MC will be back any moment from her visit to see her mom, so I rushed in after Muddy Bike ride and dashed this off in 20 mins, small but it will have to count as today's effort, almost A5, watercolour.

@SaskiaKC great horse, in action also but what happened to the rider? :joyful:

IMG_2435.JPG

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my CGM seems to have gone wrong! My fbs is certainly not 3.8! The last few days I have noticed it go right down I thought nothing of it, thought it was due to getting back to normal after xmas! Anyway phoned libre yesterday who confirmed faulty (@shelley262 for info). Another on it's way. I have a spare. So popped on last night to let it bed in and will activate shortly.

Paperwork today and lots to do. So will nust share my first post of today from my social media. No pics as dashing.

Have a good day everyone.

DAY 8 - PART 1 BREAKFAST AT WETHERSCOTTS! AND BREAD (ARTICLE NOT ACTUAL .) PAIRING, STRESS, ILLESS, FASTING BLOODS, MEDS (I'm cramming everything in this post it seems. ).

Breakfast chez moi today. Paperwork day so busy, busy. And as for Eric, he will be busy too, making homemade vegetable soup . more info later . if it turns out ok!

Having this with naked burgers (oooo errrrr mrs) for dinner.

When you are diabetic your blood sugars can be higher in the morning (fasting blood sugars, fbs). This is called the dawn phenomenon.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

If mine are a little higher (in the 6s) then I make sure I have a very low carb breakfast. To balance things out. When I was first diagnosed my fbs was the LAST thing to come down. Nowadays it's usually under 5.6. If I eat late at night that can reflect badly. and if I have a more carby day the day before that does too. Sometimes this can impact for a couple of days. Wearing CGM shows me that my bloods can rise and fall during the night dealing with the extra sugar (my daughters birthday a prime example). Meal out, made the best choices I could but hidden sugars .

STRESS AND ILLNESS this can impact significantly on blood sugars. I was amazed watching my daily graphs when I was ill recently. I had a virus and ended up on antibiotics. Lost my appetite (never been known!) And as a consequence 6lbs in weight. The attached was my worst day. Nothing to eat for a few days before but it looks like a roller coaster! Looks like I'd been eating pizza all day!

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-destress.html

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-illness.html

MEDICATION certain meds can increase your blood sugars too, for example statins

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/medicines-blood-sugar-spike

My body tends to react more to carbs earlier in the day too (quite common). So I tend to have most of my carbs for dinner.

Today's breakfast. 2 Hecks Sausage, 2 scrambled eggs cooked in a knob of butter with a splash of cream, salt and pepper. And a side of mushrooms. Cup of tea splash of full fat milk

Guestimate 4g carbs. The sausage are outstanding value at 1.4g FOR 2. They are big and very filling. But not only that they are delicious. I have used Google today for pics to show carbs. Google gives you carbs in most foods. Just type 'carbs in' plus the item.

BREAD Probably the thing I miss most. That said if I fancy it I will have it. I have some lower carb bread in my freezer. Lidl do great protein rolls, only available abroad so I will be picking up my stash when going to Dublin to visit family in February. Freeze when I get home. I was going to write down all the different breads with relevant carbs for your info, until I found this link which did it all for me .

https://www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk/best-breads/

There are so many recipes for baking your own, from very simple upwards. I am not adventurous in the kitchen but might try it this year . NOT !

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/bread

PAIRING It's a good idea if eating bread you pair it with something that adds balance. It needs to be ‘paired’ (eaten with) with additional protein or good fats, so it does not cause too high a spike in blood sugars. Avoid eating any bread with just butter as this will not be enough to slow down the release of glucose. I suggest a slice of cheese. So that is me over and out for now. Have a great day everyone. Catch up later.

Reactions: karen8967

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So here is Day number 9, I think, painting, rushed as it's a birthday card for Mrs MC who is 70 on Sunday, we always create each other's cards. Mrs MC will be back any moment from her visit to see her mom, so I rushed in after Muddy Bike ride and dashed this off in 20 mins, small but it will have to count as today's effort, almost A5, watercolour.

View attachment 37720

Good question! :D
I think they parted company when she wanted to ride down that lovely woodland path to wish Mrs MC a Happy Birthday and the horse decided to race back home to fetch the carrot cake!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 I wonder how much they really know about diet?
My view (without any scientific basis), is that someone decides something (for whatever reason whether it be a limited study or whatever to prove the outcome they want), and then over time this becomes compounded into a 'truth' (but really a myth), and us poor common mortals have to suffer the consequences following this flawed advice.
Just my view...
I totally agree. At least - at last - there are some doctors, scientists, HCPs challenging these myths now and of course we are challenging these myths on this forum.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My diet at the moment is meats, cheeses, fish, eggs, nuts. I may have a tiny bit of dried fruit and double cream. I drink tea and coffee. I don't eat any vegetables apart from a little red onion if I have beef broth.
I think that equates to very little fibre. Does it?
I have no problems with Number 2's with this way of eating.
Last time I saw the continence nurse, recently, she showed me a chart of photographs of Number 2's?!?!? Blimey.
Which one are you she said?
I pointed to one. That one I said.
Perfect, the continence nurse said, now keep on eating all your vegetables and fibre and potatoes and you will have perfect Number 2's.

I don't think so. I kept my mouth shut about my diet. If I eat what she suggests for 'perfect' Number 2's I would be in agony with tummy pains and constipated.

I don't need fibre.

It was probably the Bristol Stool Chart. We had to categorise all stool samples in the lab according to this and add or subtract requested investigations according to the consistency. For instance a ‘formed’ stool would not get a C. Diff test even if it was requested ( waste of money C. Diff always causes loose stools) conversely a runny sample might get additional tests.
Seemed a strange thing when I first started many years ago, to have a big poster of poo on the wall, but you can get used to pretty much anything.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good question! :D
I think they parted company when she wanted to ride down that lovely woodland path to wish Mrs MC a Happy Birthday and the horse decided to race back home to fetch the carrot cake!
Been there a few times myself @SaskiaKC it's hard to explain the embarrassment of walking 5 miles in leather riding boots, riding hat, jods and crop to be met by a search party thinking the worst once my horse had returned back to the stables less rider. Never mind the looks from passing walkers, some concerned others looking at me as though I was suspiciously kinky. :joyful:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
but you can get used to pretty much anything.
I know it's your day but some things can't be tolerated - not the stool chart obviously. I would like one for my new kitchen wall. Cupcakes, Sc-fi, 5 guys, strictly, brisket, winter, days without sport are just a few things that prove you wrong. You get a free pass today but don't get sloppy (7?):angelic:
Edit: Just bought a fridge magnet chart from ebay. Julie doesn't appear to be as happy as I am. Now I see Amazon I have 1 mug and 1 travel mug https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bristo...914575&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_4sfa7p8s4x_e :):):):)

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was probably the Bristol Stool Chart. We had to categorise all stool samples in the lab according to this and add or subtract requested investigations according to the consistency. For instance a ‘formed’ stool would not get a C. Diff test even if it was requested ( waste of money C. Diff always causes loose stools) conversely a runny sample might get additional tests.
Seemed a strange thing when I first started many years ago, to have a big poster of poo on the wall, but you can get used to pretty much anything.

My mum suffered from three legged milking stools when she kept goats.
upload_2020-1-9_15-28-57.jpeg

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I come back in here and its all about pooh charts and riderless horses. Good grief but Mrs MC @Muddy Cyclist will love her painting and well done @SaskiaKC that is a very lean horse that is clearly winning by a furlong or two.

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 37720
A brilliant watercolour @Muddy Cyclist. I could walk up that path...

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, yes. But what about the stools?:angelic:
OK! OK! To get back on the subject I'm reminded of an acrylic painting I did outside on canvas in mid France of a dolmen in heat of 38 degrees, @gennepher will appreciate just how difficult that was with acrylic.
My cousin said the finished work reminded him of a giant stool. I thought he meant sitting on Type but now I understand.

Here it is......

IMG_2438.JPG

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK! OK! To get back on the subject I'm reminded of an acrylic painting I did outside on canvas in mid France of a dolmen in heat of 38 degrees, @gennepher will appreciate just how difficult that was with acrylic.
My cousin said the finished work reminded him of a giant stool. I thought he meant sitting on Type but now I understand.

Here it is......

View attachment 37725
Type 3 I think (like a sausage but with cracks on the surface). I now find you can get BSC shower curtains - would be very, very tempted if we didn't have enclosures; hoodies, sweatshirts and tee shirts also available:):) Also tempted to add a number to the morning post now - fbg = BSC=:angelic:. Fantastic painting btw.

Reactions: gennepher

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I got the all clear again today! Scan showed no sign of metastasis so I have another 6 months of waking up happy every day and grateful to be alive. Can’t tell you how that feels but thank you so much for all the support and good luck messages you smashing people have given me. Off to do a bit of celebrating now ( glass of red and some cheese rock n roll!)