What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.9

my daily painting challenge to myself...

View attachment 37847

Took about an hour.
A4. Acrylics.
Hand hurts badly. This is one of the reasons I stopped drawing and painting last few years...the arthritis in my hands also. Thumb is seized up and painful.
But painting always has been my thing.
I couldn't do this without those shaving brushes, they make painting easier, and have chunky bit to hold.
I have ordered some more from China, so I am not cleaning them each time I change the colour of paint.
Even just squishing them on a piece of kitchen towel ((to clean previous colour off) wrecks/pains my hand. So plan is half a dozen more of these shaving brushes and just drop them in a bucket of water (when I need a new colour) to clean later. I also need a shaving brush dedicated to white and one to yellow paint.
Maybe I should have ordered more, they are less than £1 each.
But I do need to see how they paint with first.
But I am not giving up this daily painting challenge just because my hand is painful seizing back up.

Have a good day.
My bins were put out last night!!!!
I need a nap. Been awake since 3:50am.
But first an important email I have to write...(actually I dictate all this, because of my hands, but the software does rearrange what I dictate into a completely different story...)
Be good or not!
Live your life and do what you want to each day!
Hugs freely available to all.

Wonderful. It's actually a picture in itself, with all the painting brushes etc all around, it brings it even more to life.

Reactions: jjraak

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My grandfather had a snap tin to pack his lunch in and a white enamel tea kettle. Some parts of Yorkshire call it ‘bait’ but for my grandfather it was ‘snap’.

Hadn’t heard of bait, wonder where that came from? Fishing maybe?? I always wondered why he ( and everyone else around Barnsley/ Doncaster area) called it snap. It seems there are loads of far more interesting dialect words than packed lunch,

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all 4.9 this morning I’ve been following a DietDoctor keto meal plan all week and have found they usually help to bring things back under control. I usually have to swap a few of the meals. Goats cheese featured twice and I really don’t like goats cheese. I’ve tried and tried but now given up on it.
Hope everything went well for you yesterday @johnpol had everything crossed for you.
@dogslife I do hope you manage a restful weekend and feel better today after a good night’s sleep. It makes such a difference.
@Tipetoo your comment on crib was interesting, I wonder why crib means lunch though - it means a baby’s bed to me. Maybe, originally the baskets the food was carried in looked like little cribs?
@ianpspurs I like trying exotic game meats - there was a gastropub near our old house which sold them, you could order 3 different types and they’d arrive raw with a super-hot slate on which you cooked them to your own preference of rareness. Never fancied croc though.
Congrats on the fbg and recovery of young Dennis. Croc meat is good - very white and a tad expensive https://www.johnsonsofoldhurst.co.uk/. Goats cheese is also good. Not totally anti DD these days but lack of fibre not helpful for the BSC diary. I do see mileage in The Fungsters eating regime (Sample 2) from the appendix to The Diabetes Code although not too sure about his suggestions for meals. Enjoy your day.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.3 again. I did have a 3 course lunch at Cotes, tried to be careful though did give in to the choc pot which is an egg cup of dark rich choc. Stopped eating at 2pm tested when back home at 4.30pm and was 7.3. Only had some rollitos and a couple of gins in the evening so I feel very punished for my three courses. I note @DJC3 doing so well on DD menu, also @ianpspurs, what I wouldnt give for a 4 or even a 5.
@gennepher fascinated by your description of the tatooed lady and subsequent art. I think I too would have found it unsettling and dont understand why people would go to such extremes. The piercings must have made it so hard for you to lip read, no wonder you were worn out. @dogslife hope you take it gently and feel better soon. @trick60 enjoy that Friday feeling.
Have a great Saturday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
82376159_2649514928419624_3563764154831470592_n.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200118-091529_Google_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20200118-091529_Google_resized.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: DJC3 and gennepher

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:) I saw some yellow ones with bees on just the other day!

t12819.gif
(scraping the muck off)

I continued looking for just plain green ones.
Back in the '60s some people at the barn where I rode wore really cool canvas-and-rubber "Newmarket" boots for barn work and wet-weather riding.
I just want a pair of plain green wellies. :)

original.jpg

First thing I thought when I saw this emoticon was 'did I miss a post! Has @ianpspurs had great success with tweaking his way of eating!'

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today 6.5. Maybe higher than usual because I have some sort of lurgy. Perhaps a cold or one of my allergies has flared up. Hard to tell because it is so mild I barely feel under the weather.

You wouldn't think that something so mild would affect blood sugars.

This year is 20 years since I quit work and started to teach exercise and rehab from injuries. It seemed such a risky venture at the time to follow my dream and leave my secure employment with the County Council and strike out on my own. I never dreamt that it would have gone so well.
How wonderful. So glad it worked for you and you realised your dream.

Similar story for me only I left NS&I after 30 years after successfully applying for voluntary redundancy. I never looked back. Scary times leaving. I felt after being there for 30 years institutionalised. Would anyone want me working for them. I was offered 3 jobs in 1st week.

Re your high bs. When I was poorly before xmas and hardly eating my readings were shocking! Here is a graph of one of my worst days. Zilch to eat. Tried to go to retake that show with pre meal, but couldnt stomache it. Came back home without eating a mouthful. Hope you feel better soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200118-094306_LibreLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20200118-094306_LibreLink.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 186

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.4 yesterday and 4.3 today

Had to take Mum to the Health Centre for her blood test results yesterday, everything is OK and she doesn't need any changes to her various medications ;) so that's good.

We'll be going off out shortly to take mum for a bit of a wander around the shops in a neighbouring town and then we'll lunch out to celebrate her birthday, she's 95 today :joyful:

I'll admit I've been pretty lazy the last couple of days, just pottering about really and I must go back and catch up on everyone in the thread later when we get home :sorry:

Hope your day is treating you well :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@johnpol hope all went well

5.2 today. Went out with family yesterday for a belated Christmas get together. Great grandad (90) met his great grandson Jasper so a lovely moment. 2 courses with wine. Mushrooms in stilton sauce to start and chicken in stilton sauce for dinner. Very cheesy! But delicious. Bs loved it too.

Catching up slowly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200118-100257_LibreLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20200118-100257_LibreLink.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 179

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Awake before dawn from another bad dream. I don't know if they're caused by acetaminophen or BG levels or what, but they start out with me among friends and then alone, wandering through what should be familiar streets but aren't, and I never have a map with me for some reason.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Awake before dawn from another bad dream. I don't know if they're caused by acetaminophen or BG levels or what, but they start out with me among friends and then alone, wandering through what should be familiar streets but aren't, and I never have a map with me for some reason.
Hugs for the bad dreams because I know what thats like. Mine vary and often I dont fully remember them but wake up in a panic. A familiar scene is being put in a situation where I have failed at something and get found out eg. Maths exam and having to tell my parents. I probably shouldnt be too surprised because there are many things I am no good at, lol. Take care Saskia. Grab a nap with the KC later.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs for the bad dreams because I know what thats like. Mine vary and often I dont fully remember them but wake up in a panic. A familiar scene is being put in a situation where I have failed at something and get found out eg. Maths exam and having to tell my parents. I probably shouldnt be too surprised because there are many things I am no good at, lol. Take care Saskia. Grab a nap with the KC later.
There are also far more things you are especially good at which are also definitely more important. Being an excellent, loving wife, mother, friend, carer of pets and member of this community for a start. Focus on those and forget the rest.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you.
s0826.gif

I agree with @ianpspurs about the many things you are good at, and I wish you dreams about them. :)
I think my dreams may be parent-related too, as in so many of the "wandering" ones I am just trying to get home.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
good morning all :)

4.4 yesterday and 4.3 today

Had to take Mum to the Health Centre for her blood test results yesterday, everything is OK and she doesn't need any changes to her various medications ;) so that's good.

We'll be going off out shortly to take mum for a bit of a wander around the shops in a neighbouring town and then we'll lunch out to celebrate her birthday, she's 95 today :joyful:

I'll admit I've been pretty lazy the last couple of days, just pottering about really and I must go back and catch up on everyone in the thread later when we get home :sorry:

Hope your day is treating you well :)
Have a lovely day with your Mum,@geefull. I hope your mum has a happy birthday.:)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hadn’t heard of bait, wonder where that came from? Fishing maybe?? I always wondered why he ( and everyone else around Barnsley/ Doncaster area) called it snap. It seems there are loads of far more interesting dialect words than packed lunch,

I remember reading in a book long ago about people talking about "getting a good bait" -- getting a good meal.
Apparently "bait" is from an Old Norse word for "food" and is related to "bite."

Reactions: DJC3