Any advice on protein shakes for workouts.

Art2F

Hello all, first time poster to this forum so any advice is very appreciated.

I recently battled with a period of poor mental health and simultaneously saw my blood sugar average increase. I have been going to the gym for a few months now and have felt a marked improvement.

I used to weight train before have started doing so again. With that in mind, I researched the best protein shakes for pre/post work outs to build muscle mass. Tried Holland and Barret but they said they can't recommend anything for diabetics.

Also checked the most popular brand which said 'do no take with pre existing medical conditions or anyone on medication'.

I take sukkartro 1gram twice a day and 10mg citalopram for anxiety. Can anyone recommend a good protein shake that is safe with the medication I take?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

I recently battled with a period of poor mental health and simultaneously saw my blood sugar average increase. I have been going to the gym for a few months now and have felt a marked improvement.

I used to weight train before have started doing so again. With that in mind, I researched the best protein shakes for pre/post work outs to build muscle mass. Tried Holland and Barret but they said they can't recommend anything for diabetics.

Also checked the most popular brand which said 'do no take with pre existing medical conditions or anyone on medication'.

I take sukkartro 1gram twice a day and 10mg citalopram for anxiety. Can anyone recommend a good protein shake that is safe with the medication I take?

Are you a T2 diabetic? You don't mention insulin so I assume that you're not a T1?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm limiting my carbs to 30 grams a day so use Protein Superfood by Amazing Grass from Holland and Barrett. It has 2.5 grams of carbohydrate per serving. I add water and drink it as a shake.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder is what my grandson uses mostly he is not diabetic but is a bodybuilder.
I sometimes pinch some of his.

Serving Size 1 rounded scoop (30.4g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories
% Daily Values*
Total Fat 1g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.5g3%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholestero l30mg 10%
Sodium130mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 3g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars1g
Protein 24g
Vitamin D-
Calcium 80mg 8%
Iron0mg2%
Potassium-
Vitamin A 0IU0%
Vitamin C 0mg0%

Art2F

Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder is what my grandson uses mostly he is not diabetic but is a bodybuilder.
I sometimes pinch some of his.

Serving Size 1 rounded scoop (30.4g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories
% Daily Values*
Total Fat 1g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.5g3%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholestero l30mg 10%
Sodium130mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 3g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars1g
Protein 24g
Vitamin D-
Calcium 80mg 8%
Iron0mg2%
Potassium-
Vitamin A 0IU0%
Vitamin C 0mg0%

Thanks John, I did look at that one and that's the protein shake that says 'Not to be taken with any medical conditions or people on medication'. So not sure, how often did you have it?

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s a cover all statement, if you’re worried, I would simply discuss with your GP. Fundamentally you’re not taking anything in a shake you couldn't eat yourself – they just add that statement in case you’re on a particular type of medicine that might react badly – especially gastric medicine.

Say you have a shake after every work out, say you have 2 a day. That’s "only" ~60g of protein. Equivalent to a 200g/8Oz steak.

Ingesting this via a shake is just more convenient and cheaper then eating the solid versions. Equally, you could skip the shakes and have tins of Tuna/white fish/steak etc and it does the same job.

The shakes are often packed with additional nutrition, the ones to watch for a those high in cabrs and that will affect your blood sugars if you’re a Type 2. There are some options out there that are mostly protein, low carbs. They are best and can be blended with whole milk and fruit to make a higher calorie/protein shake. (There is a surprising amount of protein in whole milk).

At some point I will go back to using shakes, for now I’m trying to cut fat and gain muscle. 9In that order of priority) However, with my build if I eat too many calories, I will put on more fat then muscle and to aid in diabetes I need to get down to a good weight.

I don’t know your details but be careful pushing for weight gain if you’re already carrying “fatty weight”. It is certainly true that an average person you can be a very fit, heavy built weightlifter and carry fat well (Ie skip the weight loss and go directly into building). However, as a diabetic, your better to slim down your fat first then build up muscle to make sure you bottom out any internal fat stores particularly around your liver and such before you move onto muscle building mode.

Ultimately its all about how many calories your burn vrs how many you take in, but taking the shakes significantly increase your calorie intake so you will simply get fat unless your putting in significant gym time to with it.

Reactions: Art2F

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thanks John, I did look at that one and that's the protein shake that says 'Not to be taken with any medical conditions or people on medication'. So not sure, how often did you have it?
Several times no ill effect blood sugars fine.

@sno0opy is quite correct unless you put the work in no amount of protein shakes will make much difference.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Keiran goes to the gym every other day as you need to have a recovery day going to the gym every day can be counter productive.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my view as a trainer and type 1, I'd advise you to try and get protein from natural sources and supplement with the convenience of low carb protein bars (Quest or KarbKilla are ones I've tried) if you need to or its convenient. The reason I think this is that protein can spike blood glucose especially if it is not packaged as it is in nature, with fat that slows down the absorption of the protein. Bars/shakes won't generate as much insulin as carbs obviously so it depends upon where you are starting from as if as others have mentioned you are refuelling after some vigorous muscle building exercise plus recovery and sleep.
On the other hand if you are whizzing up the protein with some nut butter and green veg then it could be a massive upgrade on your current diet. Also as we age we generally need more protein as our production of stomach acid decreases whereas all those young people guzzling bars and shakes could probably make muscle from almost anything but that's marketing for you!

Paulm80

I brought the gold standard whey vanilla on JohnEGreen recommendation , great stuff and had no impact at all on my bloods!
Is half price in Holland and Barrett aswell

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Those whey protein that has 2-3g carb per serving should all be very friendly to a diabetic person. Some formulas using only whey isolate may have less than 1g carb per serving.

The more reputable brands are like Optimum, musclepharm, now, isopure. Be sure to check the label carefully as some formulas have higher carb under the same brand.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, I go to the gym a minimum of 5 times a week (due to wedding preparations!) I use phd diet whey. It has no impact on my blood glucose at all and is only 90 calories per serving. This is the only protein I found which I don’t think tastes like chemicals!

Jackr00

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There are many low to zero carb protein powders around. I use The Protein works are a good brand.

Can’t see why it would affect you as it is just a dietary supplement to repair muscles after training. If you are worried about it, eat some high protein food after the gym like eggs or tuna, even protein yoghurt, will do exactly the same job.

Art2F

Thank you everyone for your responses. I posted and then didn't log back into my post till now. Thanks for all the recommendations, I will aim for a low to zero calorie protein shake. The gold standard whey does have sugars in it, so I might avoid that. Will explore the other ones too. I hope this was useful for other people too. Thanks again.