Type 1'stars R Us

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@porl, the thread has always deviated but usually along the way, there have been a goodly proportion of posts, even jokingly talking about blood glucose, insulin dosing and so on, and for that I, personally, have been very grateful. I have learned a huge amount on this thread, however, the last few days the focus on here hasn't been Diabetes. It's been very good indeed. Nobody is denying that, and it would be disingenuous and untrue, if I did.

All I ask is that we all try to get back to the purpose of this forum, and this thread, which is supporting our fellow travellers living with diabetes, with a view to improving health outcomes.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could make a fortune off this if you can get it working! Brilliant idea!

Gee, thanks! :)

Oddly, I've had some experience fitting aftermarket car alarms.
All it would need is a relay to interupt the ignition to the starter motor. If the below 5mmol values were sent to a receiver that controls this via Bluetooth in close proximity or on entrance to the vehicle? The engine wouldn't start, thus removing the "intention to drive" whilst low..?
The same if the driver was going low & pulled over. The vehicle couldn't be started again till the CGM told the device the driver was above the 5 to drive threshold?

Somthing like Xdrip can already talk to a smart watch. Why not something controlling a signal to the starter?
This could (in theory.) be fitted in addition to an existing OEM or after market ant-theft immobiliser...

Reactions: chris85 type 1

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Antje, I will be honest, I don't like to report any post unless it is obviously offensive and I think it's sometimes a subjective thing as well which makes it harder
If you use the report button you will be asked the reason for reporting. Very easy to clarify you're only reporting to draw our attention to a certain post or thread. So reporting doesn't necessarily mean you think someone has done something very wrong :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

All it would need is a relay to interupt the ignition to the starter motor. If the below 5mmol values were sent to a receiver that controls this via Bluetooth in close proximity or on entrance to the vehicle? The engine wouldn't start, thus removing the "intention to drive" whilst low..?
The same if the driver was going low & pulled over. The vehicle couldn't be started again till the CGM told the device the driver was above the 5 to drive threshold?

Somthing like Xdrip can already talk to a smart watch. Why not something controlling a signal to the starter?
This could (in theory.) be fitted in addition to an existing OEM or after market ant-theft immobiliser...
If you're going to build that, please set it at 4! Can't drive below 4, can drive provided you eat something below 5...

Also, I'd need a more accurate sensor. Mine read lower than blood by 0.8 - 2 mmol/l, which could mean forcing me to run above 7 when wanting to drive.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're going to build that, please set it at 4! Can't drive below 4, can drive provided you eat something below 5...

Also, I'd need a more accurate sensor. Mine read lower than blood by 0.8 - 2 mmol/l, which could mean forcing me to run above 7 when wanting to drive.

I've calibrated my app. Which pretty much reads if not spot on around 0.2 to the meter?
Give or take the time lag & what not..
You can set the floor for a low alarm as you can with the highs?

So in therory it could take the feed from that?

The starter interrupt side of things is cheap enough. (A 30A relay?) It's the Bluetooth receiver controlling it from the phone that's a bit beyond me at the moment.. Lol,

Reactions: Antje77

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@porl69 Sorry I haven't been on to reply to your post, I have had a docs apt and a tax assessment to complete this morning :dead:

The simple philosophy here in the forum is to just support each other without breaking forum rules, it’s not difficult to do and if anyone wants to look at these then please read the rules in my signature.

I tend to think that if what I write something that will offend/upset someone or conflicts with forum rules then it generally will and does.

We are all members first and foremost and each year new members get elected by other members to moderate, it’s not an easy ride I can promise you, but step up if you feel you can do this role on top of managing your diabetes. All mods have to enforce the forum rules and there is no cloak and dagger approach, it’s clear if you break the rules then we have to moderate.

I personally feel sad we have lost members too particularly when knowledge is paramount to any struggling diabetic seeking support, but no one gets singled out it’s through their choice that’s happened. Hopefully some will decide to return and on that I’ll keep my fingers crossed they do, but please just remember what support/good we can do here without resorting to petty behaviour or bickering.

Reactions: Diakat

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies, gents and all who read here, could I remind you of the forum description.

"Type 1 Diabetes
Use this area of the forum for all discussion specifically relating to Type 1 Diabetes."

If you would like to discuss matters other than T1, in this sub-form, please choose another place to do so.
Does that mean that, as a T2 diabetic who knows little about T1, I can no longer contribute?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Why that is in red I have no idea!!!!!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@porl69 Sorry I haven't been on to reply to your post, I have had a docs apt and a tax assessment to complete this morning :dead:

The simple philosophy here in the forum is to just support each other without breaking forum rules, it’s not difficult to do and if anyone wants to look at these then please read the rules in my signature.

I tend to think that if what I write something that will offend/upset someone or conflicts with forum rules then it generally will and does.

We are all members first and foremost and each year new members get elected by other members to moderate, it’s not an easy ride I can promise you, but step up if you feel you can do this role on top of managing your diabetes. All mods have to enforce the forum rules and there is no cloak and dagger approach, it’s clear if you break the rules then we have to moderate.

I personally feel sad we have lost members too particularly when knowledge is paramount to any struggling diabetic seeking support, but no one gets singled out it’s through their choice that’s happened. Hopefully some will decide to return and on that I’ll keep my fingers crossed they do, but please just remember what support/good we can do here without resorting to petty behaviour or bickering.

I am way too opinionated to be a moderator :)
The forum has lost well over 120 years of type 1 diabetes experience just from 4 people I know. And I can not even put down why as it will be "moderated" OR I will have a small ban!

I have said enough for today.....the red mist is descending so will leave it as is (for the time being)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with the field test @Jaylee. I had to have one, probably 7 or 8 years ago now. I was sent by DVLA because I'd had laser treatment for narrow angle closure - nothing at all to do with diabetes nor the quality of my sight, it's a condition that means the fluid in your eyes can't escape easily with the result you can get a build up of fluid, pressure in the eyeball and ultimately disaster, so they laser a hole in your iris to allow the fluid to escape (weird process but not painful). DVLA were't interested in that, it was a case of "you've had laser treatment have the field test". My wonderful optometrist, who I've been to for years and years because he's so good, talked me through it very carefully before we started as it's one of those tests where I ended up not being sure if I was seeing things or not, but it was fine. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement @hh1 .

Just new territory for me. I ain't the first & wont be the last.
Found myself of late working out the logistice & alternative options, should I loose my privelidge to drive.?
Gigs for starters could be a major issue...

On the plus side. The money from the sale of the van & the savings on road tax & insurance. ;)

Reactions: hh1 and porl69

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
@Cumberland, I agree, I don’t come here so much these days.
There used to be a real sense of community. We proffered empathy and sympathy, accepted differences, shared experiences, and there was a lightness of touch, and humour. Remember the word games on this thread? Sometimes it was truly achy smile stretching when it got going.
I learned a lot, from different hypo treatments (Jaffa cakes, Oreos, beans and babies) to ways to manage BG. I discovered texts I’d not encountered before and am truly grateful to whoever mentioned Ponder.
I miss it.
How’s Wispa? How are you and your lovely missus?

Hello FG @Fairygodmother
Nice to see your post

I am tootling along ok thanks and trust that you are tootling along ok too.

We’re all fine thanks

Little Wispa was 1 December 27th and is a beautiful loving little girl
IMG_1020.jpg

Here she is (top) at her friends (bottom) birthday party

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello FG @Fairygodmother
Nice to see your post

I am tootling along ok thanks and trust that you are tootling along ok too.

We’re all fine thanks

Little Wispa was 1 December 27th and is a beautiful loving little girlView attachment 37954

Here she is (top) at her friends (bottom) birthday party

Oh my gosh, your dogs are so adorable

Reactions: Cumberland

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not surprised @Robinredbreast. @DCUKMod I have to say I'm feeling like Robs at the moment; I don't know what I'm allowed to talk about. I understand the forum rules and I also know that I, for one, have posted about nothing more than my new puppy, with no reference to T1. Are things like that out of bounds? And if @porl69's avatar has really been banned, could you please explain why so that if I want to change mine I don't fall foul of something I currently don't know about? I am genuinely confused. Thanks.
Post anything and everything! I think there are (or should be) threads that are non diabetes related, from ages ago. It'd be great to bring them up again!

All the relays i work with need a contact, and you'd need to write some software to tell it to energise at a certain blood sugar level. I'd use a transmitter that sends out a pulse at a certain programmable frequency that won't get mixed up with general electrical frequencies in the car. Same kind of thing as a walkie talkie, where the receiver is a switch in the ignition circuits. I don't know anything about programming, but a little about electronics - if you could program something with IF logic (eg IF blood sugars are over 5, ignition switch closes), this could work! Theoretically of course :)

Reactions: hh1
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
To all the lovely people on here, please can you read the very first post, you can see how it went, from there, friendly, lighthearted, helpful, supportive with some looney tunes thrown in at times, please, please lets keep it going in the manner in which I started the thread.
I am finding it all quite upsetting at the moment :(:(:(

I'm not going to let the ship sink, so lets all keep it afloat, oldies and newbies alike :)