1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

To all the lovely people on here, please can you read the very first post, you can see how it went, from there, friendly, lighthearted, helpful, supportive with some looney tunes thrown in at times, please, please lets keep it going in the manner in which I started the thread.
    I am finding it all quite upsetting at the moment :(:(:(

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

MeiChanski, (if you're still viewing), I agree and I think there is also a divide between those on a 'keto' diet and those that are 'low carb'. When a person posts anything about their meals, it is jumped on by some if a meal so much as goes above 5 carbs (or that's how it seems) and although I appreciate people are trying to help others, it often comes across as dictatorial, aggressive and very judgemental. For those of us who are made of sterner stuff that is fine, we can dismiss it but if I was a worried newbie I would never post again following some replies. The divide seems to exist between many different issues and it's a shame because I love this site but even I am starting to think 'What's going on'.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Many Happy Returns @slip

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. KK123

You might complete your best work? x

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not surprised @Robinredbreast. @DCUKMod I have to say I'm feeling like Robs at the moment; I don't know what I'm allowed to talk about. I understand the forum rules and I also know that I, for one, have posted about nothing more than my new puppy, with no reference to T1. Are things like that out of bounds? And if @porl69's avatar has really been banned, could you please explain why so that if I want to change mine I don't fall foul of something I currently don't know about? I am genuinely confused. Thanks.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. Shannon27

Shannon27 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You could make a fortune off this if you can get it working! Brilliant idea!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good luck with the field test @Jaylee. I had to have one, probably 7 or 8 years ago now. I was sent by DVLA because I'd had laser treatment for narrow angle closure - nothing at all to do with diabetes nor the quality of my sight, it's a condition that means the fluid in your eyes can't escape easily with the result you can get a build up of fluid, pressure in the eyeball and ultimately disaster, so they laser a hole in your iris to allow the fluid to escape (weird process but not painful). DVLA were't interested in that, it was a case of "you've had laser treatment have the field test". My wonderful optometrist, who I've been to for years and years because he's so good, talked me through it very carefully before we started as it's one of those tests where I ended up not being sure if I was seeing things or not, but it was fine. Keep us posted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

And a good place for people like me (who is not diabetic) to keep in touch with friends like @Robinredbreast and others ...love hearing their stories (like @Fairygodmother s paint matching dilemmas:happy:) and updates....long may it continue....

.....sending special hugs to @Robinredbreast :) today....

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Please report as soon as you see a post that comes across as dictatorial, aggressive and very judgemental, so we can do something about it.
    Our rules are very strict on both 'us and them' mentality as on respecting other peoples choices. Rule B3 is particularly clear on this: " Diet is a relevant, but sensitive topic and should be treated as such. Please be considerate to other people’s dietary choices."
    And then there is A1, which among more says the following: "Civil debate is healthy, but rudeness, bullying and/or Member belittling is not acceptable and will not be tolerated."

I would appreciate it if members would realise that moderators are members too.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

The thread is in the T1 sub-forum for discussing T1 matters. It is impractical to have a list of acceptable topics, but as the sub-forum descriptor states, posts should be linked to T1 diabetes. I think T1 is pretty wide and challenging enough.

From post #26001 I see about a dozen posts discussing, or mentioning T1 diabetes, it's management or living with it. I ran out of fingers s o won't bicker over one or two, either way.

If the desire is for a chat thread, there's a bespoke sub-forum for that. I think it would be a shame for that to happen, as I believe this thread serves a valuable purpose, but mindfulness of the location is helpful to say the least.

11. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Marieba. Welcome. I'm in from the shadows.

• Like Like x 1
  12. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!!
    Have you actually been reading this thread from the beginning??? This thread ha been going on for well over a year (and long may it continue) and now you come in with this comment! Please take time out and read from post 1 what actually goes on here.
    Unfortunately I cannot criticize your post due to you being a Mod!

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. porl69

This thread, from the very beginning , has been a chat thread
    Why now are you modding this thread to death?
    In my eyes, a bit over enthusiastic!!! Which will be modded out of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. porl69

@Juicyj agreeing to this!? You have been on this thread for a VERY long time and never said a word about what @DCUKMod is saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. KK123

Hi Antje, I will be honest, I don't like to report any post unless it is obviously offensive and I think it's sometimes a subjective thing as well which makes it harder, ie 'You're eating THAT!!' or 'I prefer not to lose a foot' or 'I'd like to keep my eyes' or 'HOW many carbs!!' etc. It's just an observation though so many thanks for the work you and your colleagues do! x

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  16. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

@porl, the thread has always deviated but usually along the way, there have been a goodly proportion of posts, even jokingly talking about blood glucose, insulin dosing and so on, and for that I, personally, have been very grateful. I have learned a huge amount on this thread, however, the last few days the focus on here hasn't been Diabetes. It's been very good indeed. Nobody is denying that, and it would be disingenuous and untrue, if I did.

All I ask is that we all try to get back to the purpose of this forum, and this thread, which is supporting our fellow travellers living with diabetes, with a view to improving health outcomes.

17. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Gee, thanks! :)

Oddly, I've had some experience fitting aftermarket car alarms.
    All it would need is a relay to interupt the ignition to the starter motor. If the below 5mmol values were sent to a receiver that controls this via Bluetooth in close proximity or on entrance to the vehicle? The engine wouldn't start, thus removing the "intention to drive" whilst low..?
    The same if the driver was going low & pulled over. The vehicle couldn't be started again till the CGM told the device the driver was above the 5 to drive threshold?

Somthing like Xdrip can already talk to a smart watch. Why not something controlling a signal to the starter?
    This could (in theory.) be fitted in addition to an existing OEM or after market ant-theft immobiliser...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

If you use the report button you will be asked the reason for reporting. Very easy to clarify you're only reporting to draw our attention to a certain post or thread. So reporting doesn't necessarily mean you think someone has done something very wrong :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

If you're going to build that, please set it at 4! Can't drive below 4, can drive provided you eat something below 5...

Also, I'd need a more accurate sensor. Mine read lower than blood by 0.8 - 2 mmol/l, which could mean forcing me to run above 7 when wanting to drive.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I've calibrated my app. Which pretty much reads if not spot on around 0.2 to the meter?
    Give or take the time lag & what not..
    You can set the floor for a low alarm as you can with the highs?

So in therory it could take the feed from that?

The starter interrupt side of things is cheap enough. (A 30A relay?) It's the Bluetooth receiver controlling it from the phone that's a bit beyond me at the moment.. Lol,

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook