Poll: Which diabetes course(s) have you attended?

Which of the following structured diabetes education courses have you attended?

• DAFNE

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • DESMOND

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • X-PERT

Votes: 70 10.8%
  • ASPIRE

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Freedom4Life

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (Please state in a post)

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • Never attended one

Votes: 291 44.8%

• Total voters

svgittins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went on a DESMOND course. A co-ordinator telephoned me offering it within a few days of my being diagnosed as Type 2 which was very nicely proactive. I have to say I found it pretty basic but then I am an assiduous reader of online materials. There were some nice visual aids (e.g. representing sugar content of common food items with physical mushrooms) but some of the information was a little suspect (when I answered a question by saying glucose was a type of sugar, I was corrected and told they were synonyms!). However it was clear several people attending the course with me found it genuinely useful. I was little surprised how negative the trainers were about the possibilities of remission.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Desmond - ended up sitting in silence because I was asking questions and not getting any answers

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my first session on DICE - Diabetes In Control Everyday (I think that's missing a semicolon) in Shipley, West Yorkshire. Six week course, 2.5 hours each session. So far - knocked out that the dietitian taking the course is pro-low-carb and says so. We will be spending a whole session specifically on low-carb lifetime diets. Most of the first session was spent gently telling people that the "healthy eating" advice they've been used to isn't any good for diabetics. Given the low expectations I had from reading their leaflets, I think this could be really helpful. Nothing new so far for me, but then I have been almost living on this forum for the past six weeks.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@KennyA The only course notes needed is a slip of paper with the URL to this website.

Reactions: Cat32

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@KennyA The only course notes needed is a slip of paper with the URL to this website.

I think you're probably right - it is pitched at a very basic level. And I do want to see what the set-up is locally. But a lot of the folks on the course really struggle with the ideas - one said that as he couldn't have sugar he was now using honey....

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I think you're probably right - it is pitched at a very basic level. And I do want to see what the set-up is locally. But a lot of the folks on the course really struggle with the ideas - one said that as he couldn't have sugar he was now using honey....
Yes Kenny, I get that. My mother is a prime example. Like me she also is a T2 but for longer. She only looks at the food labels and reads the sugar amount. I tried to tell her that she needs to check the carbohydrates. She looked at me like I had two heads. I've taken her on a tour of this site to show her that she didn't have the full picture. Without a computer she can't join. She gets it now though after reading some of the material here. The nurse at the clinic told her zip.

Reactions: Jade0106

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Week three of the DICE course, and this week's full session is on carbohydrates. And guess what? We were handed a slip of paper with the URL of this website. Specifically in connection with low-carb diets. As predicted by Crocodile.

Reactions: Cat32

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP has apparently put my name forward for a DESMOND course. This wasn't offered though. I had to request it after learning of its existence through my own research.

Reading some of the earlier responses here, it would appear that some GPs aren't really that clued up on the dietary requirements for T2 patients. The only professional advice I've had is to cut out sugar and reduce my bread intake. There was no mention of carbs at all. Probably in common with a lot of newly-diagnosed T2s, I originally thought that sugar was the only thing to avoid. It's only through informative sites like this one that I discovered that carbs are the bigger enemy in that they're in virtually all foods.

geekypants

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diagnosed in 1999, did DAFNE in 2019. To be fair, I hadn't darkened the door of a clinic for 12 years.

I really, really, really enjoyed it. I knew how to count carbs, but DAFNE helped me slot it all into place. It was also the first time ever in my life I realised that other people have blood sugar readings above 9mmol. I thought my highs were only me, and I found that hugely reassuring.

Yes, all the information is on the internet, but the internet is a noisy place where opinion is given as fact. The principles of DAFNE have helped me see through that enormously. It also helped me build a good relationship with my DSN and dietitian, and I know that they take me seriously now.

As a result of the course, I was moved up the priority list for the pump as well, which has been another game changer.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finished my DICE course in Shipley. Missed a couple of sessions but the interesting thing was that the dietitian and the nurse running the course gave out conflicting information. Dietitian (youngish) was very pro low-carb. Nurse (much older) wasn't, and actually told people not to use this website as "it's only anecdote". I challenged this and there was a bit of a row which mainly consisted of her trying to talk over me. That didn't end well. I think the course is muddled because of the mixed message and the continued stress on the eatwell plate and starchy carbs every day. Certainly most of the people there at the end were confused (dropout rate was about 50%). Bloke next to me said proudly that he's learnt a lot on the course and is eating less meat and a lot more fruit. The dietitian is running a parallel one-day course next month which is only doing low-carb. I'm going to go along to that, for the experience.

surdoux

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Idiots
I went to a DESMOND course, had lots of literature to take home, which I have read, inwardly digested and largely ignored. The course was 'interesting', although not in line with what I have learnt on here and other places. My doctor was (and probably is) next to useless. His only words to me were, "You've got diabetes, go on this course" No idea if he intends any follow up, no idea if my practice has a diabetes nurse. Mainly doing my own thing at present, having bought a meter, various books and embarking on the Fast 800 diet.

Arizona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not offered any course. Referred instead to the “in house” diabetes nurse. Unfortunately, cannot get on with her personal style. I’m T2 with relatively low BS readings. Frankly my asthma is by far my biggest worry!

Andy-Annom

I have been offered course after course, and as of yet nothing. I live In the Midlands UK and it is pointless asking for help from the Doctors as its easier to throw tablets at you than listen. If you are fat, you need to diet, if your skinny your perfect, unless you are always ill.
I keep being offered the flu jab, but if they look at my notes they will see I have not had the flu for 35 years, and I have lived in places where illnesses like the flu and viruses would put most people on their backs in bed, I was the only one still filly fit and well. I am fat, which I am not ashamed of. Yes I could do with losing 5 stone, and yes I need to look after what I eat, however food costs money and when you are not allowed to work you can only buy what you can afford. Its 1 days worth of food or a weeks worth, which do you choose? I used to go days without eating just to save money for good food, but now I am in my 50's being a Rabbit is not what I signed up to be.

I would do any course which actually helped people who have very little money to spend on food. I am lucky now as I can spend a little more money on the right food, but nothing has made a difference to my blood sugar levels, even when I do not eat it makes no difference. I can live off 8 slices of brown wholemeal bread, and cheese microwaved (melted cheese) sandwiches and my blood sugar will be the same before and after.

I think it would be better if diabetics showed other diabetics what foods are good and bad, how to count carbs, and the rest. its just a shame there isn't anything like that where I live.

Fearless36

So I attended a DAFNE and don't get me wrong, it was better than nothing but it left me somewhat troubled wiht my diabetes control and I felt worse after attending it. Not only that, but you do blood tests frequently through the course following the advice and for me the results were all over the place even following guidance given during the course. Yes it was a good intro, but to me there was a lot more lacking than answered. When it came to food, we were advised to look at the packaging and shown where some packaging is misleading (for example pizza, cab examples are often for 100 grams, and 1/2 a pizza) so that was very useful to know - but there were so many holes and the results throughout the course and after the course left a lot to be desired.

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2. I have never been offered a place. The only advice I have really been given by my GP and DN is to cut down on sweet things and to avoid Heinz tomato Soup and pears.
I am following Dasman Diabetes Institute Kuwait (DDI) for their research on the subject. Their videos on youtube regarding diet and living with the condition is proving to be supportive.

TURTLE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Been diabetic T1 since 1980...40yrs now and over that period I have done quite a few courses and trials.... I did a 12 month University trial which monitored everything you did during your waking hours, food exercise intense monitoring then a twice a week session at Sheffield university under a relaxation situation ( laid down with eyes closed virtually falling asleep) blood tests before and after then some stressful tests games or puzzles etc with bloods done before and after to monitor stress to see how it effects glucose levels.
Trialed one of the early pumps back in the 80s (didn't get on with that very well at all).
Did the Dafne course at Jenny O'Neil diabetic centre in Derby about 97/98 and found that to be a huge help to learn about the flexibility of carb counting and Insulin doses to match certain situation....a great course and highly recommended.
I am currently on the Freestyle Libre 6 month trial (2 months in) and have to say this piece of kit is a real game changer in diabetes control and seen my HBA1C much improved dropping from 8.5 to 6.7 in 2 months you really feel in total control with this sensor fitted.

Reactions: UK T1

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did the Open University course "Living with Diabetes" SK120.

joffy01582

The last course I attended was around 15-16 years ago ......that was about using insulin and food amounts etc....that was set up mainly for t1 diabetics but as you do I had to keep reminding them that some T2 diabetics are on insulin too ....I dont think it went down too well at the time