Type 1'stars R Us

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, woke on 5.6, I'll take that thanks. Went to pick up my spare specs yesterday and the furniture shop next door has a sale on. I need a new bed so thought I'd see what they had. Lay down and got up a few times, lay on my side, and whoa! balance shot. Obviously labyrinthitis is still going strong. Took some time to feel steady enough to walk,bed buying postponed, headed back to the car, thought I felt weird as well as unbalanced - yep, hypo as well. Not the best afternoon I've ever had...

Hope you've all got good things planned for the weekend, even if we're not all sunning ourselves in the Philippines..not envious...not a bit...;)
@hh1 I feel for you - I had Labyrinthitis about 10 years ago - took about 8 weeks to recover. It’s like being drunk on the cheap - you get the affects but not had to buy any booze! My nephew got married whilst I had it and I told him that if he saw me swaying in the pews it wasn’t because I had started celebrating early!!

Reactions: Antje77

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
great now the nerves are kicking in again iv'e got butterfly's that won't go away it feels awful and my brain is on full throttle

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here is the snake that bit me and the after pics
IMAG0075.jpeg
IMAG0198_1.jpeg
IMAG0200_1.jpeg

bare in mind it was years ago the pic is a bit grainy

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For when im out and about View attachment 38102
What do you use the swabs for if you're injecting through your trousers?
My HCP's never suggested I use anything before injecting, are others supposed to swab before injecting? I can see where the knife comes in, you could use it when you get caught out without lancets, snakes or kittens!

Reactions: chris85 type 1

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My HCP's never suggested I use anything before injecting, are others supposed to swab before injecting? I can see where the knife comes in, you could use it when you get caught out without lancets, snakes or kittens!
that knife and many more got me the nick name "barry the chopper" i use the wipes on my hands to remove any unwanted sugar or food of any type so i get accurate readings i love hunting accuracy is my passion

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had the weirdest hypo this morning. Did everything as usual: woke up, scanned Libre (6.3, but it tends to read lowish so I figured I was likely between 7 and 8), took insulin to counter feet-on-the-floor, put coffee to brew, fed the chickens and the rabbits, poured the coffee in the pot and went upstairs to enjoy it.
I always stay at the higher end of my range during the first couple of hours after waking, that part of my day is so predictable that I usually don't even bother scanning my Libre for hours until I want to eat something.

Started to feel off during the chicken part, suddenly craving a big glass of cold water so bad that I went back inside before finishing feeding the animals. By the time I reached the couch with my coffee I felt definitely off so I scanned again. 3.6 with the arrow straight down! Finger prick: 3.4! I've never had a hypo like this at this time of day.

Usually I see where things went wrong but not a clue this time.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
that knife and many more got me the nick name "barry the chopper" i use the wipes on my hands to remove any unwanted sugar or food of any type so i get accurate readings i love hunting accuracy is my passion
Just use water, mate. Alcohol falsely lowers blood glucose readings - we never use them on the ambulance.

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i'm a prepper i always make sure i have what need and them some

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What I’ve learned today.
Ophidiophobia is not as common arachnophobia. :mad::mad::mad:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@LooperCat please don't think i'm arguing it's just things i need to know and share xxx
I gave you a peer reviewed journal reference. They’re not used in the NHS any longer because of this, however outdated advice is often given, an many of us can testify. Soap and water is perfect; just water is fine. Also, constant use of alcohol will dry out and thicken the skin over time, making it harder to get blood, and eventually causing the skin to harden and crack, which is an infection risk.

When we take a patient’s blood glucose level we use a bit of wet tissue if we’re in the home; some gauze with water from the injections kit when we’re on the ambulance. That’s the current (as of 2019) guideline.

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I gave you a peer reviewed journal reference. They’re not used in the NHS any longer because of this, however outdated advice is often given, an many of us can testify. Soap and water is perfect; just water is fine. Also, constant use of alcohol will dry out and thicken the skin over time, making it harder to get blood, and eventually causing the skin to harden and crack, which is an infection risk.

When we take a patient’s blood glucose level we use a bit of wet tissue if we’re in the home; some gauze with water from the injections kit when we’re on the ambulance. That’s the current (as of 2019) guideline.
just think iv'e had 2 sets of paramedics come to me this year no gauze or tissue were used to check my sugar level only some kind of wipe. I'm not trying to say your wrong please don't think that i listen to you but like i said they are for when i'm not at home and unable to wash my hands who knows what i might get on my hands while i'm out there oh and i was told to use them many many moons ago