1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

An insightful observation.

2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Not sure if it's the heat here in the Philippines or the change in diet (although I haven't exactly ignored the Filipino custom of eating your own weight in rice everyday) but awoke this morning feeling awful and blood sugars down to 3.3.

Being hypo on waking has never happened to me in the UK and last time I was here in the Philippines I was still using 25Mix. So may have to back off on the insulin a little

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My money is on the weather, are you walking around a lot too? Sight seeing? Philippines has a lot of lovely sweet desserts etc if your hypo self is interested. Did you manage to solve the lancet shortage? I hope you are feeling better.

• Like Like x 4
  4. urbanracer

Staff Member

Lancet issue not resolved. We are in a rural area where even branches of larger chains like Mercury Drugstore and Watson don't keep stock and answered 'no' when I asked if they could order them.

We will be heading back towards Manila in a few days time so will try again when we get there. So have disinfected lancet as best I can with alcohol and am carrying on regardless.

Haven't been walking around much really, sightseeing starts next week. At the moment we are mostly spending time with the wife's rellies who all want to meet the bloke from the UK.

• Like Like x 6
  5. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone enjoy the weekend

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

I can't eat rice very easily, that's one thing I have trouble with dosing for. My BG's would be all over the place since it's such a staple over there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

I never get the dosing right for rice i drop first then rise about 4/5hours later i do split the dose but like i say very rarely get it right so only have it occasionally .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. chris85 type 1

chris85 type 1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning everybody hope you have a great weekend. And once again i wake up to a BG of 16.2 i'm getting tired and fed up with this

• Hug Hug x 2
  9. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Urb,

Hope yer enjoying your time traveling..
    Yep, certain hot climates I tend to lower my basal dose by 1u.. (Maybe 2?) it heightens my insulin sensitivity.

That said. Just woke with a 2.8er this morning. Though the sensor suggested a little lower. Alcohol last night+Saturday. So possibly no DP or foot on floor..

Though today, I will mostly be replacing the flooring in the conservatory..

• Like Like x 3
  10. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, woke on 5.6, I'll take that thanks. Went to pick up my spare specs yesterday and the furniture shop next door has a sale on. I need a new bed so thought I'd see what they had. Lay down and got up a few times, lay on my side, and whoa! balance shot. Obviously labyrinthitis is still going strong. Took some time to feel steady enough to walk,bed buying postponed, headed back to the car, thought I felt weird as well as unbalanced - yep, hypo as well. Not the best afternoon I've ever had...

Hope you've all got good things planned for the weekend, even if we're not all sunning ourselves in the Philippines..not envious...not a bit...;)

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  11. urbanracer

Staff Member

Again, I don't know if it's the heat but I am not struggling with rice, the same way I do in the UK.

I usually go high anything up to 5hrs after eating but it doesn't seem to be happening here.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Good morning everyone, no work for me this weekend so just going to go with the flow :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. chris85 type 1

to me a person is a person

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. urbanracer

Staff Member

It's not exactly wall to wall sunshine. We're reasonably close to a mountain range so weather is very changeable. Had a nice tropical rainstorm overnight and into the morning.

I don't have a religious bone in my body but a priest came and blessed the rellies new house this morning. Went around the whole house sprinkling holy water everywhere. After he left the sun came out and it's a beautiful afternoon here in Tabayas. Coincidence? I'm almost converted!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

It's those people who go the extra mile, that can make such a difference :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@hh1 I feel for you - I had Labyrinthitis about 10 years ago - took about 8 weeks to recover. It’s like being drunk on the cheap - you get the affects but not had to buy any booze! My nephew got married whilst I had it and I told him that if he saw me swaying in the pews it wasn’t because I had started celebrating early!!

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep, "professionalism."

But even the best of them need time to unwind. Possibly with the spouse & kids.. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. chris85 type 1

great now the nerves are kicking in again iv'e got butterfly's that won't go away it feels awful and my brain is on full throttle

• Hug Hug x 1
  19. chris85 type 1

Here is the snake that bit me and the after pics IMAG0075.jpeg IMAG0198_1.jpeg IMAG0200_1.jpeg

bare in mind it was years ago the pic is a bit grainy

20. chris85 type 1

For when im out and about 20200125_110840.jpeg

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook