1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

What do you use the swabs for if you're injecting through your trousers?
    My HCP's never suggested I use anything before injecting, are others supposed to swab before injecting? I can see where the knife comes in, you could use it when you get caught out without lancets, snakes or kittens!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. chris85 type 1

chris85 type 1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

that knife and many more got me the nick name "barry the chopper" i use the wipes on my hands to remove any unwanted sugar or food of any type so i get accurate readings i love hunting accuracy is my passion

• Like Like x 1
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Had the weirdest hypo this morning. Did everything as usual: woke up, scanned Libre (6.3, but it tends to read lowish so I figured I was likely between 7 and 8), took insulin to counter feet-on-the-floor, put coffee to brew, fed the chickens and the rabbits, poured the coffee in the pot and went upstairs to enjoy it.
    I always stay at the higher end of my range during the first couple of hours after waking, that part of my day is so predictable that I usually don't even bother scanning my Libre for hours until I want to eat something.

Started to feel off during the chicken part, suddenly craving a big glass of cold water so bad that I went back inside before finishing feeding the animals. By the time I reached the couch with my coffee I felt definitely off so I scanned again. 3.6 with the arrow straight down! Finger prick: 3.4! I've never had a hypo like this at this time of day.

Usually I see where things went wrong but not a clue this time.

• Hug Hug x 5
  4. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Just use water, mate. Alcohol falsely lowers blood glucose readings - we never use them on the ambulance.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. LooperCat

@chris85 type 1 - here’s the reference from our paramedic guidelines

AC96C13A-C642-4EDA-AEF2-0F7A3F056971.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. chris85 type 1

just checked using a wipe it said 5.9

7. chris85 type 1

just washed my hands and it says 4.4

8. chris85 type 1

just re-checked 4.2 i was told in hospital to use them

9. chris85 type 1

@LooperCat and i can't find any info on the web

10. chris85 type 1

i'm a prepper i always make sure i have what need and them some

11. chris85 type 1

@LooperCat please don't think i'm arguing it's just things i need to know and share xxx

12. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What I’ve learned today.
    Ophidiophobia is not as common arachnophobia. :mad::mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. LooperCat

I gave you a peer reviewed journal reference. They’re not used in the NHS any longer because of this, however outdated advice is often given, an many of us can testify. Soap and water is perfect; just water is fine. Also, constant use of alcohol will dry out and thicken the skin over time, making it harder to get blood, and eventually causing the skin to harden and crack, which is an infection risk.

When we take a patient’s blood glucose level we use a bit of wet tissue if we’re in the home; some gauze with water from the injections kit when we’re on the ambulance. That’s the current (as of 2019) guideline.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. chris85 type 1

sorry do you want me to remove that picture ??

15. chris85 type 1

just think iv'e had 2 sets of paramedics come to me this year no gauze or tissue were used to check my sugar level only some kind of wipe. I'm not trying to say your wrong please don't think that i listen to you but like i said they are for when i'm not at home and unable to wash my hands who knows what i might get on my hands while i'm out there oh and i was told to use them many many moons ago

16. LooperCat

Also, alcohol won’t get rid of sugar or food matter from the skin, it will just kill some/most of the microbes on there. It’s a bactericide, not a substitute for hand washing. It works by drying out and rupturing bacterial cells as it evaporates, combined with the rubbing action. Perfect for cleaning skin prior to IV cannulation on already cleaned skin because you’re going deep, pointless for a fingerprick. If you’re determined to use a wipe rather than just wash your hands, try “diawipes” as they’re designed for this purpose but are pricey.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Most definitely not.
    We had an incident a while back on the forum.
    A picture of a spider scared and upset some people. It seems ( at the moment) that snakes are not so scary.:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. LooperCat

Some trusts do have just water wipes for this purpose. Recent research, which has been incorporated into the paramedic code of practice specifically says not to use them. Screenshots from the 2019 JRCALC which all uk paramedics must adhere to.

ECF44E81-622A-4A40-8E98-36EBF831DEB4.jpeg 6D245D55-F388-41D3-86AD-D707633A3600.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  19. chris85 type 1

if you wipe anything with something wet and clean sugar will be moved..........fact

20. chris85 type 1

so why did it tell me i was at 5.9 then after soap and water 4/4 and on the re-check 4.2 all done within 10 mins of each other i don't get it

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook