What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC a bone scan here is a DEXA scan where you just lie on a bed with a cushion under your knees and the scanner passes over your body, nothing radioactive to drink unlike a CT scan.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 9.6 at 4am

I am starting from scratch again.
My plan for this morning was not to eat for a couple of hours, then eat a couple of boiled eggs.

So, 6am, prior eggs was 10.7

I know from my food records that my reading goes up if I don't eat within 15 minutes of waking up (and I usually have nuts). So, no surprise there.

So, ate boiled eggs at 6am.

Then 8am reading was 11.1

That really has gone up.

Anyway, I am not worried because according to my previous food records, this also happens when I have not eaten almost immediately on waking in the morning.

Okay, this will go down by mid afternoon...as long as I eat the foods I know I am okay with.

So, tomorrow, Wednesday morning, I hazard a guess my fbg might be 8.6 (just going by previous records), and I shall have my handful of nuts and hopefully soon I will have this back in the 6's for fbg.

Also I love eating those nuts while I am painting!

Here is my painting a day challenge to myself for today.

A092C55E-B725-44A0-BF85-7218EB50884C.jpeg

Have a good Tuesday.
Hugs for all of you.
Have fun!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 today. Yesterday I had a 3 hour break so went across the road to have a late lunch of chicken with a slice of bacon topped with melted cheese . The chicken was truly enormous - at least 4 times bigger than I would normally eat.

BS 2 hrs after 7.2. BS over 8 hours later still 7.2. I have had that before with larger amounts of protein - my BS just won't drop back to normal for hours So really pleased it did start dropping in the end.

Must remember next time to take a plastic box with me to bring some chicken back for doggies - especially as it left me feeling too full and uncomfortable for teaching the evening classes.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 today. Yesterday I had a 3 hour break so went across the road to have a late lunch of chicken with a slice of bacon topped with melted cheese . The chicken was truly enormous - at least 4 times bigger than I would normally eat.

BS 2 hrs after 7.2. BS over 8 hours later still 7.2. I have had that before with larger amounts of protein - my BS just won't drop back to normal for hours So really pleased it did start dropping in the end.

Must remember next time to take a plastic box with me to bring some chicken back for doggies - especially as it left me feeling too full and uncomfortable for teaching the evening classes.
Shame about the reaction from a meal you enjoy (New York chicken didn't you say?) Good that you have the knowledge to identify protein parameters for yourself and bg dropped by the end of the day. Also a salutary reminder that just eating LC/Keto may not be enough. If your 2 hour reading was 7.2 what was pre eating as a 2 point rise would have seen a 5.2 - even a 2.5 rise would have had it at 4.7. So all was fine pre-meal according to the sages. But the thymes they are a changing:angelic:

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher hug for the pesky fbg and the rise after the boiled eggs. It is maddening, your damned if you eat and damned if you dont. Like you say it will level out later. Have been in similar circumstances many times. I like the pic and that bird (crow?) looks like he would like to share some nuts! Have a good day.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who stretched their arms out this morning and didn't touch wood and commiserations to those who touched wood, in the words of Dave Allen " May your God go with you ".

After yesterday's low for me a high 8.9 this morning and I know why, I have no regrets, it's a reading below 10.

Well folks? I trust you are and hugs to those who aren't.
I hope your plans four ( other fore's available ) today include a little mischief, mine do. Hehehehe.

Hand and footnote
I've had a letter from the postman asking me not to bark at him anymore otherwise I will have to pick my mail up from the local sorting centre, some habits are hard to break.
Now I must sign out, I have my mates chaos and mayhem arriving shortly and we are unsupervised till 3:30pm.

Reactions: geefull and DJC3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
28-01-2020
7.50 FBG 6.4
8.20 FBG 6.7
DP IS alive and well this morning.
Had nut granola, 2 eggs and cheese omelette, CWC @SaskiaKC mid morning coffees will be without cream. Thanks for advice.
9.33am BG 7.4 hoping I remember to test in an hour.

Got an Echo or Google Home thingy..?

I use mine all the time for music and stuff..hadn't thought to use it for the
alarm 2 hours later..rarely forget now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher hug for the pesky fbg and the rise after the boiled eggs. It is maddening, your damned if you eat and damned if you dont. Like you say it will level out later. Have been in similar circumstances many times. I like the pic and that bird (crow?) looks like he would like to share some nuts! Have a good day.

Thanks @PenguinMum

I was trying to draw a raven or a crow...but I think it looks more like a blackbird! I need to brush up on my bird skills!!!

You have a good day.

Reactions: Ryhia and jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
clinic didn't go too well yesterday INR levels too high so back there next week...

they did ask me if there were any changes of course I said no...
on reflection I should have mentioned I am doing very low carb at the moment with a little I/F...

I cannot do the whole I/F thing as Warfarin should be taken at the same time every evening with before/ food...

so despite the extremely low carb FBG higher than usual (and I would like) I believe it's taking my poor old blood/body time to adjust...we shall see...this morning woke to a 6.8 and it's slowly rising...I expect to show some progress by the beginning of next week we shall see.

I'm with you and @PenguinMum on the fasting thing.
i struggle to get over 8 hours if i'm not asleep..god knows what numbers i get while slumbering, cos awake i get antsy & all :***: if i don't eat around that time

Oh, poor you..so good on the one hand then the BP.
it really is a juggling act if you have other conditions..:(
liking the can do approach though, very pragmatic.

A tough bunch of hombres on here.
amazing how much steel we can have inside us, When it's needed.

bets wishes it begins to resolve over the coming weeks.:)

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Hope you don't mind - I'm dipping my feet into this thread as I just love reading some of the postings and really enjoying @gennepher's artwork. I am so jealous as I cannot draw for toffee - I'm not really a great talker and certainly not eloquent or witty as some contributors - lets hope I don't turn out to be a dead bore!

FBG 5.2 this morning which I am liking. Had a lie - in for some reason I seem to see better results when I get up later. - Think I probably sleep though DP.

Regards C.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 9.6 at 4am

I am starting from scratch again.
My plan for this morning was not to eat for a couple of hours, then eat a couple of boiled eggs.

So, 6am, prior eggs was 10.7

I know from my food records that my reading goes up if I don't eat within 15 minutes of waking up (and I usually have nuts). So, no surprise there.

So, ate boiled eggs at 6am.

Then 8am reading was 11.1

That really has gone up.

Anyway, I am not worried because according to my previous food records, this also happens when I have not eaten almost immediately on waking in the morning.

Okay, this will go down by mid afternoon...as long as I eat the foods I know I am okay with.

So, tomorrow, Wednesday morning, I hazard a guess my fbg might be 8.6 (just going by previous records), and I shall have my handful of nuts and hopefully soon I will have this back in the 6's for fbg.

Also I love eating those nuts while I am painting!

Here is my painting a day challenge to myself for today.

View attachment 38177

Have a good Tuesday.
Hugs for all of you.
Have fun!
Another glimpse of your creativity and technical skills this morning. Thank you for sharing your gifts with myself and others. Addressing the fbg/breakfast numbers. there was a .4 rise which would probably be a slight incline on the bg graph. The starting point was higher than you often post so one might reasonably assume the minimal rise produced a higher number than you wished. Have a great day.

Reactions: Ryhia

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Hope you don't mind - I'm dipping my feet into this thread as I just love reading some of the postings and really enjoying @gennepher's artwork. I am so jealous as I cannot draw for toffee - I'm not really a great talker and certainly not eloquent or witty as some contributors - lets hope I don't turn out to be a dead bore!

FBG 5.2 this morning which I am liking. Had a lie - in for some reason I seem to see better results when I get up later. - Think I probably sleep though DP.

Regards C.
Welcome @Ryhia and that post was eloquent and witty enough IMHO but then I know nothing. Stick with us 'cos who you are is enough.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

Regards C.

HEY..welcome alongside.

so untalented, huh ;)...now i got company at least...:hilarious:

@Ryhia , you'll be fine..( some chat too much anyways...:bag: )

Nice score..:D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - yes. I dump a heaped tablespoon into a glass of water and give it a good stir. I started with a teaspoon full and worked up to the heaped tablespoon over about 4 weeks.

Thanks, I did start doing the same a few months ago then somehow forgot all about it. Your BG levels are always spot on though so I shall start again.
I scrape cheese and save Parmesan rinds too!

Reactions: Ryhia and dunelm

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A surprising 4.6 for me today after hail smacking against the windows kept me awake a lot.
@Krystyna23040 I’m with you on the protein effect, I find the same thing if I have too much - bg stays higher than expected for a long time and certainly affects fbg the day after.
@HarryBeau sorry to hear you have to go back to the clinic next week, hope things are a bit better by then. It’s very hard to manage more than 1 condition without impacting the rest.
@gennepher fabulous picture again, thank you.
@Ryhia welcome, it’s good to have you aboard.
@PenguinMum I m glad your fbg is starting to behave again. Soup is the answer to a lot of questions I agree!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A surprising 4.6 for me today after hail smacking against the windows kept me awake a lot.
@Krystyna23040 I’m with you on the protein effect, I find the same thing if I have too much - bg stays higher than expected for a long time and certainly affects fbg the day after.
@HarryBeau sorry to hear you have to go back to the clinic next week, hope things are a bit better by then. It’s very hard to manage more than 1 condition without impacting the rest.
@gennepher fabulous picture again, thank you.
@Ryhia welcome, it’s good to have you aboard.
@PenguinMum I m glad your fbg is starting to behave again. Soup is the answer to a lot of questions I agree!
Fantastic fbg. If soup is the answer you're definitely asking all the wrong questions. Soup is not really oven ready and doesn't get Brexit done - therefore can't conceivably be the answer. Simples. No shiny 50p piece for you young lady.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryhia and jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So this morning..mmh

Joyous as i got a.. 'Stay one more day card'..from my Guessometer..5.6 as you asked..;)

Gym yesterday for the first time in a while...aagghh, aching a little too much, but my own fault, hope to follow up
with a more regular pattern..(do the running etc and use free weights indoors, but the Gym does offer more, if i'm honest)

Was browsing yesterday, as ya do..and came across this Motivational speech.

seen many but this was from a rather unexpected quarter..(perhaps not, now i think of it, , but not one i'd considered before)
Liked the simplicity or the explanations..(well worth sticking with to the end)

have a Good Un all.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

Regards C.
Hi @Ryhia
Welcome to this thread.
Thank you :)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Hello all,

Regards C.

Welcome, I hope you enjoy the banter.

Reactions: jjraak

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

us type1 get told if we dont eat carbs we dont have to inject insulin but i find if i have no carbs the protien raises my bgs :arghh: