Freestyle Libre sensor unavailable

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just collected my prescription this morning, this was ordred on the 9th of January. The pharmacist has told me to put another prescription in as well as the 2 month supply that I have had in for 2 weeks, this is because the Libre is being delivered in dribs and drabs.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh please..
Let's not cry brexit" just yet. (Though I didn't mark the box to leave.) ;)
My friend told me she had chatted to Abbott and was told that the boar from France had been delayed but it seems they have found it again! I understand the pharmacy gave her test strips as an alternative.

avebabe62

I am owed 5 libre haven't had any from the chemist since Xmas sucks currently on holiday and I didn't get my supply before I went away not good I rang abbot's twice and no one answered the phone. I hope I get supply when u return.

D

Deleted member 308541

They are still available online here in Australia from Abbott's, max order of twelve though.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well ordering direct from Abbott is no longer any faster. Put an order in on their website on 23rd January. Still showing as ‘on hold’. Their live web chat helpfully told me last night ‘we don’t have any information’.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well ordering direct from Abbott is no longer any faster. Put an order in on their website on 23rd January. Still showing as ‘on hold’. Their live web chat helpfully told me last night ‘we don’t have any information’.

I self fund & usually deal witH ASDA. A couple of (maybe 3.) weeks back I got a Libre direct from Abbott online came in 2 days.

Spookily, I ordered 2 more on the 23rd of jan too. Rang yesterday asking "what gives?" I was just told by a CSR, order hadn't been dispatched yet.

Check yer email GG, whilst I was writing this I've just been notified They're on the way...

Oddly, if can get test cartriges for my Mobile any time. Jumped off the bus outside the chemist yesterday after an eye test, fell through the door & picked up my script.. Lol, they were closed for lunch & expecting a delivery.. (Normally shut for 2hours from midday?)
I wondered why it was dim in the shop? The poor woman out the back thought she was being robbed.. :D

Reactions: Goonergal

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooh 'ello?!
Just got back from walking the dog. & found a "red card" in my door from parcel force..
The dispatch email from Abbott was time stamped about 5.30am today
It will be at my local post office at the end of postie's shift.. Just in time to give the hound another round.. :)

Now I've had a little experince in dispatch warehouses in the past.. I'm certain the issue isn't with the logistical side once they've been boxed & labeled.. ;)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check yer email GG, whilst I was writing this I've just been notified They're on the way...

Still on hold according to website but being delivered to work and I’ve been offsite today so hoping there will be a surprise in the morning!

MicheleJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So why do pharmacies have delays getting the libre but those who can afford to self-fund seem to have no problem? Doesn't seem fair!
I don't want to have to return to sore fingers...

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They are still available online here in Australia from Abbott's, max order of twelve though.
Twelve seems excessive to me, I get 4 from my Dr's surgery and that lasts me 8 weeks. No wonder there's a shortage if people can order 12 at a time

josh1334

You won't be the only one who has been told there is a stock shortage - pretty sure I was a it on BBC News too.
I've been waiting a week or 2 and waiting for a phone call to say we have some available again. It's werid going back to the finger prick after using the libre

Reactions: KPD

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So why do pharmacies have delays getting the libre but those who can afford to self-fund seem to have no problem? Doesn't seem fair!
I don't want to have to return to sore fingers...

"Fair;"
Up to the point where the self funders can no longer afford it.
But as I mentioned earlier in the thread. "They (Abbott) don't do all this for the love."

I don't & have never minded the finger pricking.. Still more civilised than peeing on a stick.

Tomt

Hi
I have a 15 year old daughter that was diagnosed with T1 nearly a year ago. I have been told that to get the Libre freestyle she has had to have hospital admissions to be legible. Surly this can't be right?

D

Deleted member 308541

Hi
I have a 15 year old daughter that was diagnosed with T1 nearly a year ago. I have been told that to get the Libre freestyle she has had to have hospital admissions to be legible. Surly this can't be right?
Nothing to stop you self funding them surely...

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It appears that there is no shortage here in Australia, just pay the $1100.00 and you will get 12 sensors at $92.50 each.

Back in the day (when I lived in Australia and before I became allergic and had to stop using the libre) there were several occasions where the libre became temporarily unavailable.

I also remember many UK threads with the same issue: though at that time they'd do things like only sell to existing customers and, interestingly, apparently stock priority went to NHS customers and not self funders. Mind you, this is before the libre became approved for use for all NHS regions, and now that they have firmly attached themselves to the NHS budget I suspect they may be happier to give (more profitable?) self funders the priority.

Cynical???

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Nothing to stop you self funding them surely...

Money? Not everyone can afford it. And despite the hype (and I agree it's a wonderful device) it doesn't replace finger pricking entirely and doesn't work well for all.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
I've been waiting for 2 of my 4 sensors since 17 Jan (told they'd be another 2 weeks by Chemist after being told initially 2 day dealt then when that passed 5 day delay then 1 week delay) .When this passed I rang Abbott who suggested ordering 3 weeks before needed (and telling your GP there is a 3 week delay to avoid repeat script being rejected for ordering too early)which is a good idea. If all did this there'd be no problem I think.
Luckily I've got loads in backup just incase there's a supply issue like now.
Ironically chemist rang today to say the other 2 were now in which I put down to escalating the complaint directly with Abbott.So order WELL in advance and escalate directly

Last edited: