What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Person flew in from China. Why are we not stopping flights from China! Other countries have, and closed borders. We are asking for trouble.

have to reluctantly agree, @Debandez

plan seems to be containment, but i guess however...if you really want to come here, you travel to other cities and fly from there, but it does make sense.

Like the idea touted, ...it's no worse then the Flu .(perlease..:rolleyes: )

can't remember the last time a flu epidemic closed down an entire country
and given it's china..( no disrespect meant, just being honest ) the powers that be would be happy to let the people suffer if it meant things stayed the same..

so for them to do something on this scale and at such cost and risk..is unimaginable.
yet they did it....Too little too late, maybe..But one hell of a brave decision.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51449675

Big jump in infected in china..put down to new reporting being more accurate..
so up to now the under reporting means we let others wander around ?

and the idea we can wait this out until summer, doesn't fill me with confidence

It is NOT flu...check the data and it's less death etc..(for now)
the Chinese have got nowhere near on top of this..how could they ?

and the underlying recovered v critical v deaths..is higher then anyone seems to want to report.
around 20%..https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Covid 13 feb.png

and all those deaths and critical numbers are fine..until it's YOU infected.
not seen much talk of the after effects for those critical but recovered
think malaria/herpes can't be the only diseases to live long after the infection and causesflare ups or issues

in other news Japanese surgeon infected,..was still working for 3 days...
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200213/k10012284301000.html
may need to translate..cheers google

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@gennepher my geraniums were a little worse for wear; but luckily nothing of value in there. Few rolls of rusty fencing, concrete trough too heavy to move. That sort of thing.
13-02-2020
Both of us having a rough day. Sad when it is his birthday. He has a medical condition which has flared up, leaving him feeling pretty ropey. Think I am just tired. But both of us having to redo things we did yesterday, which gets a bit dispiriting.
Currently MrSlim is out in the car, buying more supplies for the build. Weather has worsened. Now have howling winds and near horizontal rain. Very cold as well. Will be happier when he is safely home.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
gennepher most people could do further education if they wanted to...you don't have to be brilliantly clever as long as someone can read & write reasonably well a degree is not that difficult...some would have us believe it is it's one way of keeping many of the population down/in their place...it has to be personal choice my mother (single mother) managed to feed & clothe five of us without the benefits of a real education...she didn't have the opportunity...I did so took it.
I always wanted to learn. So after my children left school and went on to uni, I went to college for GCSE’s and A levels, but they didn’t have enough of a support system in place for a profoundly deaf person as me. So, it was suggested I did them via distance learning, by the same college.
When it came for the degree I did it via the OU and that again is distance learning. There were difficulties when the promised Saturday once monthly classes I had to attend, over the 6 years, and the hearing support rarely turned up. And I was chasing it up all the time.
So, it carried on being frustrating.
I stopped once I got my degree. I did want to go further to PhD, but by this time I was tired of still struggling because of my hearing, and often lack of promised support.
However, online learning is easier to access now, and I join other courses to learn what I want to learn.
So there are always places to learn, and technology changes now, so there are different means of doing things.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 this morning on the lovely trampoline that is FBG. This should be made an Olympic event -- or does it involve too much blood?

Now off to read everyone's news, including about Dennis, who I understand does not like this storm that bears his name @DJC3? I feel your pain, little buddy -- it is pouring down rain here this morning and I have got to travel 40 miles round trip to the DMV this afternoon to renew my driver's license. Lots of prayer and trust involved -- and invited! It will clear! :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher my geraniums were a little worse for wear; but luckily nothing of value in there. Few rolls of rusty fencing, concrete trough too heavy to move. That sort of thing.
13-02-2020
Both of us having a rough day. Sad when it is his birthday. He has a medical condition which has flared up, leaving him feeling pretty ropey. Think I am just tired. But both of us having to redo things we did yesterday, which gets a bit dispiriting.
Currently MrSlim is out in the car, buying more supplies for the build. Weather has worsened. Now have howling winds and near horizontal rain. Very cold as well. Will be happier when he is safely home.
It is very dispiriting @SlimLizzy when you have struggled to do something yesterday that needs redoing again today. I feel for both of you.
I hope he is back home now.
Hugs for you both

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@HarryBeau I love the bananas! They look so real, even bruising and sugar spots!

@ianpspurs The USAF have been very good to me in the past -- unofficially and off-record, thank goodness. Officers and their families taught me skydiving, welcomed me into their off-base homes, lent me horses to ride and RC airplanes to fly, and taught me about P-51 Mustangs as well as Ford 4-wheeled ones, De Havillands, Sopwith Camels, Cessnas, and even the Albatros D, which my Opel gamely became while "flying" the interstate highway more than 40 years ago.

d466ea60036600544e5cffaea7ccaa96.jpg
upload_2020-2-13_9-10-31.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
mmhh..i know you are having ongoing issues @ianpspurs
but can only speak for myself,
this LCHF lifestyle hasn't really given me too many issues, once i settled in for the Long Haul.

Kind of like that my fridge has foods i can eat that 'mostly' won't spike me, ( still others ot consider)
is all REAL food now, not fortified cereals, No MORE Cr** foods either
NO Microwaveable meals EVER,
Nothing with an ingredient list longer then say 5-8 items on it.
(usually says MEAT : end of ingredients list)

In fact it's full foods i LIKE..and Enjoy.

Guess i'm just blessed.

Sure I've been naughty, but i always think it's still just another day of life,
not a Life sentence T2 brings each day.

Altered, For sure..changed..undeniably
Could i cut down more and get into optimal figures on a daily basis..maybe
would i enjoy it as much..Nope

i wish you better enjoyment as the year rolls on,
the Fight or Flee mechanism, surely had some part to play with the move, imho.
and the other thing may have longer slower lasting impacts, hope not..but i think most scores you post
are in the very reasonable range..much better then if you just took the Blue pill, and failed to open your eyes.

Remarkable effort so far, looking in from the outside,,but at the end of day it IS how you perceive it that only counts.

whether it ever settles at a place you find acceptable, only you can know for sure.
I do wish you all the best in your voyage of discovering that place.

Travel safe, Travel well., my Friend :)
Friendly reply from you and I hope mine is in the same vein. Firstly, LCHF gets a free pass for its problems and shortcomings on here in a way that say HCPs and Education systems don't , IMHO. Personally, I'm content mostly eating 1 salad a day at home and just not eating anywhere else. I would rather drink tea at family meals/meals out but that makes family uncomfortable. That is not the most family friendly regime and I am very aware of that. My results don't lead me to be an LCHF advocate for anything other than weight loss at the moment. I am all for real food with minimal/no processing - ambivalent about meat. Happy for those who enjoy this woe and get results but not prepared to lie just to fit in. Take care

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Geometry is beyond me...why?

Given a row of books, if I measure the length of the row by the width and height of the biggest book, I wonder if there is a formula that will give me the cubic footage (inchage?) of the size box I need to get to stack them in I have some vague idea that cubic dimensions don't change regardless of the shape of the objects measured ... but not a clue how to go about figuring it out. :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friendly reply from you and I hope mine is in the same vein.

Happy for those who enjoy this woe and get results but not prepared to lie just to fit in. Take care

Fully agree.
we must all make our own minds up where the best choices lay
and settle for what WE prefer, not what we are told to prefer.

As for lying..no point.
it's only ourselves we are cheating.

Live long and prosper.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dennis is not enjoying his namesake one little bit. I had to carry him out this morning, then he shot under a clump of pampas grass and refused to come out. I had to sort of limbo underneath and carry him up the lane to perform. Hope the weather doesn’t spoil the new hairdo. View attachment 38557
Snap with fbg!
Dennis really is too cool for school and knows what’s what while looking so handsome.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
13-02-2020
Sending hugs for the day you and Mr Slim are having. The stormy weather has been very hard for your renovations. I hope Mr Slim will soon be home and maybe you will be able to raise a glass to his birthday by the end of the day. Hope he gets better.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Given a row of books, if I measure the length of the row by the width and height of the biggest book, I wonder if there is a formula that will give me the cubic footage (inchage?) of the size box I need to get to stack them in I have some vague idea that cubic dimensions don't change regardless of the shape of the objects measured ... but not a clue how to go about figuring it out. :)
Length of book x width of book x (Depth of book x number of books to stack) will give you the volume in cubic inches. Won’t you need the dimensions of a required box measured by length and depth of base and the height of box?
Edit: OR - just get a big box, and fill it up - not too big as books are heavy and there is always box number 2, 3,.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryhia

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot going on here today and it's only just gone lunchtime.

@gennepher Fiddle Head Ferns and wonderfull spring colours, for some reason it reminded me of a song by the Incredible String Band, Fiddle Head Ferns and Daffodils.

Education! I always advocated at my children's school that I would gauge the success of their education by how much they enjoyed being educated rather than results achieved. I was fortunate enough to enjoy every day of my school life even though I was not academic, left at 18 in about 1968 didn't go to college or university, I would have needed Latin. Sadly my children did not have a happy education but both set up their own successful trades and businesses. I used my creativity to learn computer programming, it lends itself to a creative mind. Set up a business writing software in 1976 and did so until I retired. In my mind if education is made enjoyable, no matter at what level, there will always be that yearning to learn throughout your life.

Hugs to all those under the weather, trying to fathom out the mysteries of T2 or striving to overcome the happenings of the day.

Muddy, windy bike ride cut short, bloomin unpleasant out there. So came back home and painted a scene of reeds passed early on this morning. Watercolour A4 25 minutes, brushes and paper knife used shown below.

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

@SaskiaKC from my experience no matter how much working out you do you will either have too much room or not enough. So just estimate and box clever.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak we do have a very resourceful company on here so it will all be good. Rhe lorry with the tonic delivery is on standby...;)

Re Coronavirus a man having his hair washed at the basin next to me this morning (at the hair salon) was talking about his great holiday in Vietnam, not long back, never mentioned CV. What I dont understand is there are loads of people with coughs and flu symptons in Feb but who can tell if they have crossed paths with an infected stranger.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

@gennepher Fiddle Head Ferns and wonderfull spring colours, for some reason it reminded me of a song by the Incredible String Band, Fiddle Head Ferns and Daffodils.

Education! I always advocated at my children's school that I would gauge the success of their education by how much they enjoyed being educated rather than results achieved. I was fortunate enough to enjoy every day of my school life even though I was not academic, left at 18 in about 1968 didn't go to college or university, I would have needed Latin. Sadly my children did not have a happy education but both set up their own successful trades and businesses. I used my creativity to learn computer programming, it lends itself to a creative mind. Set up a business writing software in 1976 and did so until I retired. In my mind if education is made enjoyable, no matter at what level, there will always be that yearning to learn throughout your life.

Hugs to all those under the weather, trying to fathom out the mysteries of T2 or striving to overcome the happenings of the day.

Muddy, windy bike ride cut short, bloomin unpleasant out there. So came back home and painted a scene of reeds passed early on this morning. Watercolour A4 25 minutes, brushes and paper knife used shown below.

View attachment 38562
View attachment 38563

@SaskiaKC from my experience no matter how much working out you do you will either have too much room or not enough. So just estimate and box clever.
Great post. Amazing artwork. Top bloke.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 38562
View attachment 38563

Good post.
I left school at 15 with no bits of paper and joined the Army on an apprenticeship. Amongst learning about such things as wave theory, valve theory and semiconductors, morse code and typing - we had to do some O levels with art and music thrown in for good measure.
Wind forward - picked up several bits of paper - left the Army - added to my stash of paper and, amongst several things read visual psychology, taught A level psychology and statistics, GCSE maths and English and worked with many hundreds of children and adults that, for many reasons, did not go to school, or thought that they had failed at school, both here in the UK and in East Africa. Always thought that if the student did not understand then there was a fault in the transmitter (me). I alway think that maths, even arithmetic, can be best understood by drawing a picture of what it looks like.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak we do have a very resourceful company on here so it will all be good. Rhe lorry with the tonic delivery is on standby...;)

Re Coronavirus a man having his hair washed at the basin next to me this morning (at the hair salon) was talking about his great holiday in Vietnam, not long back, never mentioned CV. What I dont understand is there are loads of people with coughs and flu symptons in Feb but who can tell if they have crossed paths with an infected stranger.

Scary - lucky that I have not washed my hair for over 20 years after finding out that shampoo products were wrecking my scalp (I do rinse it under the shower to wash out spiders, cobwebs and coal dust).

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have to reluctantly agree, @Debandez

plan seems to be containment, but i guess however...if you really want to come here, you travel to other cities and fly from there, but it does make sense.

Like the idea touted, ...it's no worse then the Flu .(perlease..:rolleyes: )

can't remember the last time a flu epidemic closed down an entire country
and given it's china..( no disrespect meant, just being honest ) the powers that be would be happy to let the people suffer if it meant things stayed the same..

so for them to do something on this scale and at such cost and risk..is unimaginable.
yet they did it....Too little too late, maybe..But one hell of a brave decision.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51449675

Big jump in infected in china..put down to new reporting being more accurate..
so up to now the under reporting means we let others wander around ?

and the idea we can wait this out until summer, doesn't fill me with confidence

It is NOT flu...check the data and it's less death etc..(for now)
the Chinese have got nowhere near on top of this..how could they ?

and the underlying recovered v critical v deaths..is higher then anyone seems to want to report.
around 20%..https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

View attachment 38559

and all those deaths and critical numbers are fine..until it's YOU infected.
not seen much talk of the after effects for those critical but recovered
think malaria/herpes can't be the only diseases to live long after the infection and causesflare ups or issues

in other news Japanese surgeon infected,..was still working for 3 days...
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200213/k10012284301000.html
may need to translate..cheers google

If a government rules that the people can have only two children per family, that government can expect to have a population-decimating event follow at some time or other ....

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg.....drum roll....5.9
It has never been that low before for fbg...
So...
Celebrations :angelic:
But how did I do it?
Don't have a clue.
But I ate less meat yesterday.
I ate my nuts at 5 to 6 am..I think (something like that I think).
A friend texted me to meet yesterday at McDonald's! So I went. And so next food was 10:45 of a breakfast McMuffin and cappuccino.
Driving home I had a packet of pork scratchings.
Then 6pm it was 5 fishfingers (5 is half the packet, so why not? If the packet were 12...). Nothing else with it. I do have to 'blame' @PenguinMum for re introducing me to fish fingers (my favourite food). They are the small fish fingers.
That was it apart from tea, black coffee, and one cup of chicory coffee.
So, there was also about 6 hours between each main meal.

Anyway, here is my daily painting challenge to myself...
Acrylics. A4. Black fude pen.
View attachment 38556
Have fun
Take care
Hugs if you need them...

Congratulations on your 5.9!
h07029.gif

I love your painting. I love toadstools and ferns and yours are lovely.

Also, hugs and admiration for you, after reading your story about school. Sounds absolutely mad and cruel of them, I cannot imagine people or a system being so monstrous ... except that I experienced it myself, to a much lesser degree. There is no excuse.

@ianpspurs Your description of your classroom teaching sounds heavenly to me and I wish such teachers had existed in my schools. I've always thought I was to blame for a lot of the problems I had at school, even though I somehow "knew" it wasn't all me, or just me. It's only the last couple of years that I've begun to rethink it all.