What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 we are up a steep hill above the Severn thankfully- also the barriers on this side of the town and river have now been built up to 10 foot high with additional supporting buttresses added today so hoping this side ‘safe’ but the old Thomas Telford bridge which connects Bewdley town with the rest of Bewdley and is the main road to the nearest big town has recently been closed to pedestrians as well as the cars - it’s been closed to cars since Saturday night - effectively part cutting us off. In addition the temporary flood barriers on the other side of the town are predicted to be breached overnight so evacuations are going on this evening! Plus it’s still lashing it down! Feel so sorry for my community and all those others out there affected by floods.
We went higher up the valley on our walk this morning well above the river - but the view down of the floods was shocking - couldn’t work out where the River should have been it has gone everywhere. Crossing fingers the barriers hold tonight!
Breakfast one slice of bacon, egg and half a toasted chaffle
Dinner two lamb chops on bed of buttered red cabbage with glass of red wine followed by lc DD raspberry brownie with yoghurt
Later a few walnuts and square of 95% chocolate with decaf coffee and my usual lacto free whole milk.
Supposed to be on caring and cleaning duties in morning but looking very difficult with roads closed etc so have postponed for a day and hoping to take opportunity of a hike again it’s muddy and wet in forest above our home but it’s well up above the River Severn! Roll on the spring.......

Sounds pretty scary, can only hope the rain stops soon and there are no urgent caring issues in the meantime. Agree with you - roll on Spring.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late Lunch after swimming: Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: gingerbread Carb Killa and black coffee.
Dinner: gammon steak and fried egg with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@annabell1 - nice to see you back again. That ice cream does sound delicious but I shudder to think what it would do to my BGs. Insomnia - it really is awful but the best thing I found was thanks to No. 2 grandson who was an absolute nightmare to go to sleep. It was meditation stuff online for kids. Very gentle music and narration. It sent me off as well. Loads of it online. Just google Sleep Meditation for kids. @shelley262 - This flooding is terrible. You're in such a lovely part of the world too. Rain is still coming down in torrents here too but thankfully the drains are coping. @Annb - meant to say yesterday that I love your biscuit box. @mouseee - like you I've been on the cleaning kick due to half term but ours ended today and the boys are back to school today. @DJC3 - that was a walk and a half. How's Dennis's poor wee legs?
Ended up with an unintentional OMAD. Up by 7 45am to pick up the boys for school. Then I went back to tackling the ironing. Why is it no matter how often you shift through clothes for charity, recycling etc they still accumulate again very quickly?
B. Just TAG
L. Nothing busy ironing.
D. Was supposed to be a chicken dish but I forgot to buy it! Changed it to DD Reuben Skillet which was for later in the week but I had everything. It's an odd combination of flavours but nice. Very filling as it's a large portion. I couldn't finish it.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-reuben-skillet

It seems to be a variation on what we referred to as the 'cheesy eggy breakfast thingy'. @Brunneria started it; I varied it! My eventual favourite version was to take one of these small frying pans (got them in Lidl), add a little butter and soften 1/2 a chopped onion. Add chopped chorizo and fry a little then add sliced peppers and 2 ripped up slices of corned beef. Add some chopped up mini tomatoes and a few drops of hot sauce to taste. Make a well in the centre and crack an egg into it. Once the egg starts to solidify transfer the pan under a hot grill. After a minute or so, remove the pan and sprinkle grated cheese over it. Return to the grill until cheese bubbles. Sprinkle on some fresh parsley, serve and enjoy.

Found a photo of it.
DD-526-ketoreubencasserole-2.jpg
20180225_122206.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@annabell1 - nice to see you back again. That ice cream does sound delicious but I shudder to think what it would do to my BGs. Insomnia - it really is awful but the best thing I found was thanks to No. 2 grandson who was an absolute nightmare to go to sleep. It was meditation stuff online for kids. Very gentle music and narration. It sent me off as well. Loads of it online. Just google Sleep Meditation for kids. @shelley262 - This flooding is terrible. You're in such a lovely part of the world too. Rain is still coming down in torrents here too but thankfully the drains are coping. @Annb - meant to say yesterday that I love your biscuit box. @mouseee - like you I've been on the cleaning kick due to half term but ours ended today and the boys are back to school today. @DJC3 - that was a walk and a half. How's Dennis's poor wee legs?
Ended up with an unintentional OMAD. Up by 7 45am to pick up the boys for school. Then I went back to tackling the ironing. Why is it no matter how often you shift through clothes for charity, recycling etc they still accumulate again very quickly?
B. Just TAG
L. Nothing busy ironing.
D. Was supposed to be a chicken dish but I forgot to buy it! Changed it to DD Reuben Skillet which was for later in the week but I had everything. It's an odd combination of flavours but nice. Very filling as it's a large portion. I couldn't finish it.

It seems to be a variation on what we referred to as the 'cheesy eggy breakfast thingy'. @Brunneria started it; I varied it! My eventual favourite version was to take one of these small frying pans (got them in Lidl), add a little butter and soften 1/2 a chopped onion. Add chopped chorizo and fry a little then add sliced peppers and 2 ripped up slices of corned beef. Add some chopped up mini tomatoes and a few drops of hot sauce to taste. Make a well in the centre and crack an egg into it. Once the egg starts to solidify transfer the pan under a hot grill. After a minute or so, remove the pan and sprinkle grated cheese over it. Return to the grill until cheese bubbles. Sprinkle on some fresh parsley, serve and enjoy.

Found a photo of it. View attachment 38761View attachment 38762

I thought exactly the same thing about @Brunneria ‘s cheesy eggy breakfast thingy when I saw the Reuben skillet recipe, the sauerkraut seems an odd addition though.
Dennis’ wee legs were ok - he really enjoyed the spaniel’s company but boy was he muddy by the end of it.
I also have a never ending pile of stuff for the charity shop. I seem to give away more than I buy but still find cupboards overflowing. Glad your drains are still coping up there.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today :

I had a UTI. I have been on an antibiotic, cipro , for a 3 days. It had a conflict with metformin:

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/cipro-with-metformin-672-332-1573-0.html

I was very sick so took today off . I was asked to temporarily stop metformin.

Breakfast : nothing . Too sick to eat . Had a lot of nausea, same as yesterday . Last night and this morning skipped my metformin . But will stop antibiotics tonight and start metformin again.

Lunch at 1 pm : started to feel better at noon. I had bbq and a little rice and a salad

Feeling better . Hopefully will go to work tomorrow. Will have bbq leftover for dinner . Changed my Dexcom sensor today so still have no BG.

Charming bf is on a work trip . Missed him. He is wearing what I gave him for valentines .

Edit: typo

Edit 2- Change of plans for dinner : pic attached. View attachment 38767

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No food until 3pm as our dog walk this morning turned into a bit of a marathon. A spaniel adopted us, it looked to be in good condition, had a collar but no tag. It took ages to locate its owner ( eventually some other dog walkers recognised it and pointed us in the direction of a workshop where it’s owner lived) by the time I’d got it back ( and made pointed comments about not putting a tag and phone number on its collar - it apparently escapes quite often) I was lost. Mr C was on his way to where I’d left the car with the spare lead so we could have taken the errant pooch to a vet to see if it was microchipped. Very cold and wet by the time I got home.
Prawns with cocktail sauce, few olives and a bit of cheese, plus lots of coffee.
D: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-salmon-pesto-spinach which I’ve made a few times before and always enjoyed.
Dennis, Mr C and I are now cosy in front of the fire for the evening.

@shelley262 are you still safe from floodwater? I heard it was set to rise again in your neck of the woods

I must admit, I'm such a security freak I'd hate to be putting addresses on dog tags these days. I would consider What3Words, but on the totally bonkers basis that few folks know what it is, although the emergency services are using it.

Bearing in mind the accurate geolocation of the 3 words, it's even more specific than a postcode.

Sometimes I feel certain by brain isn't wired like other brains.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Two meals today. Lunch was 5 small rashers streaky bacon, 2 fried eggs and some grated mozzarella. Cooked by me rather than the cafe near work as I was working from home this morning.

Dinner was beef short rib - another IP success.

View attachment 38759

Those ribs look wonderful.

I haven't had any beef or lamb for over 6 weeks, so the ribs were particularly cruel! We can get been here; there just an awful lot more pork and chicken on offer.

Memo to self: have beef soon, else April will become a beef and lamb-fest.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
B. Just TAG
L. Nothing busy ironing.

Found a photo of it. View attachment 38761View attachment 38762
Thanks for the insomnia tip will check it out

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 19/02/2020
New frypan worked out well. I still think diary is irritating my stomach. I never have to "run" to the bathroom after my evening meal, but I do in the morning, and after lunch. After lunch it was like 40 minutes from eating it, that I had to run to the loo. In the morning I went like four times, I guess because of the white coffees before the yoghurt and berries, then the ones after. Going to have a no diary day tomorrow and see what happens.

Breakfast 100g fresh blueberries, 170g full fat yoghurt, 12g peanut butter, 6 white coffee 130ml full cream milk between them.

Lunch: Two white corn tortilla, 152g cucumber, 133g tomato, 34g cheese, 100g ham, 9g butter, mustard

Dinner: 3 XL eggs, 1 XL egg white omelette. 60g baby spinach, 190g boiled broccoli.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit, I'm such a security freak I'd hate to be putting addresses on dog tags these days. I would consider What3Words, but on the totally bonkers basis that few folks know what it is, although the emergency services are using it.

Bearing in mind the accurate geolocation of the 3 words, it's even more specific than a postcode.

Sometimes I feel certain by brain isn't wired like other brains.

I have ‘what 3 words’ and agree it’s a brilliant idea. I go off the beaten track quite often on dog walks so it’s an added bit of security in case of an accident.
It’s actually a legal requirement now that all dogs in a public place must have a collar/ tag displaying their owners name and address. I must admit Dennis just has his name and my phone number on his though, so at least I could be informed if he was found.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have ‘what 3 words’ and agree it’s a brilliant idea. I go off the beaten track quite often on dog walks so it’s an added bit of security in case of an accident.
It’s actually a legal requirement now that all dogs in a public place must have a collar/ tag displaying their owners name and address. I must admit Dennis just has his name and my phone number on his though, so at least I could be informed if he was found.

What3Words is fab, however, not totally infallible in urban areas.

I was meeting some friends, in an Hotel Chocolat cafe, for gossip and refreshments, prior to ther things. I called as I got off the train in New Street, Birmingham, to heralmy imminent arrival, as What3Words words told me the cafe was only 2-300m away.

Yes, it knew it was close, but had me walk all around the whole Bullring, before I got there. I needed more than a coffee when I got there!

It is great though. I think that part of Birmingham was just too packed.

Our three words, at home always make me smile. They're a bit foodie!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Hope everyone is well. Missed a couple of days.
Cant remember what Inate Monday, just a blank.
Yesterday had egg mayo with cucumber and a small apple for lunch. Didnt test for a few hours so might have missed the spike but at 3 hours was 5.3 which was ok.
Last night Me PM had a steak & ale pie and I had roasted md veg with Italian gerbs and grated parmesan. Had a 10 cal jelly after, only one left but probs wont buy again in a hurry.
Today usual LL toast and tea this morning. H/m brocolli & leek soup for lunch and maybe a chunk of cheese & spoon coleslaw.
Tonight we are having a large burger topped with cheese and bacon and a portobello mushroom on top with a bun for Mr PM.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been fairly consistently in the 5s and 6s preprandial and 2hrs postprandial recently so I tried a test with two slices of Burgen bread with Spam.

Bad move :banghead:. Went from 5.4 to 8.0 in 2hrs. Another item to cross off the potential foods list :bigtears:.

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been fairly consistently in the 5s and 6s preprandial and 2hrs postprandial recently so I tried a test with two slices of Burgen bread with Spam.

Bad move :banghead:. Went from 5.4 to 8.0 in 2hrs. Another item to cross off the potential foods list :bigtears:.

You may find that one slice is fine, but two is just too much.
Don't give up on a food until you have tested it with different meals, and different portion sizes.

Having said that, anything grainy and bready has always given me disproportionatly high readings. So I do get your despair.
But maybe try a single slice as toast in the morning, with scram eggs and butter, and see what that does.
Even I could probably get away with that! ;)

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may find that one slice is fine, but two is just too much.
Don't give up on a food until you have tested it with different meals, and different portion sizes.

Having said that, anything grainy and bready has always given me disproportionatly high readings. So I do get your despair.
But maybe try a single slice as toast in the morning, with scram eggs and butter, and see what that does.
Even I could probably get away with that! ;)
Thank you Brunneria. I'll try a single slice another day. I guess I just got a bit cocky :oops:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Brunneria. I'll try a single slice another day. I guess I just got a bit cocky :oops:
Haha! Just think of it all as research, complete with testing and recording results. That way there is never a bad result. Instead, it is always an informative result, allowing you to further your knowledge and understanding ;)

Today, my knowledge and understanding was increased to confirm that a big breakfast of leftover curry yesterday, led to my tummy thinking that it was entitled to another, bigger breakfast today.

It had to make do with bone broth and a small lc hot choc! and my tummy was a bit disappointed.

Tonight will be lc pizza.
And I may have to cook the chicken in chilli lime marinade ready for tomorrow. Which will inevitably lead to some tasting...

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

For the first 6 months I kept a diary with details of my meals at first bite and two hours after and it hugely helpful to look over as some meals just eeded a bit of tweaking to bring them into line (eg. Remove/lessen an ingredient or reduce portion size). There are two LC breads LivLife at Waitrose (3.8g per slice) and HiLo at Sainsburys (5g per slice) but they are smaller slices than Burgen.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haha! Just think of it all as research, complete with testing and recording results. That way there is never a bad result. Instead, it is always an informative result, allowing you to further your knowledge and understanding ;)

Today, my knowledge and understanding was increased to confirm that a big breakfast of leftover curry yesterday, led to my tummy thinking that it was entitled to another, bigger breakfast today.

It had to make do with bone broth and a small lc hot choc! and my tummy was a bit disappointed.

Tonight will be lc pizza.
And I may have to cook the chicken in chilli lime marinade ready for tomorrow. Which will inevitably lead to some tasting...
I'm still comparatively new to all this, but I suppose the learning curve never truly levels off. There's always something new to discover. BTW my level's back to 4.9 some 5.5hrs after the first bite earlier.

Curry for breakfast huh? Why not :D. I like the sound of your chilli lime marinaded chicken. Making my mouth water at the thought!! Much tasting to be had to make sure it's OK :joyful:.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the first 6 months I kept a diary with details of my meals at first bite and two hours after and it hugely helpful to look over as some meals just eeded a bit of tweaking to bring them into line (eg. Remove/lessen an ingredient or reduce portion size). There are two LC breads LivLife at Waitrose (3.8g per slice) and HiLo at Sainsburys (5g per slice) but they are smaller slices than Burgen.
I've just started to document what I eat together with BG levels. It's been about a week now. Today was the first major spike I've recorded though. I thought/hoped the fat in the Spam would moderate things somewhat. I'll check out those low-carb breads when I'm next out shopping. I do so miss my bread :arghh:.