Changed to a plant based diet

bobduff

Hi there I changed my diet 2 weeks ago and cut out all meat and dairy. I had been considering this for a while and had watched a few videos on YouTube about the treatment of animals in the farming industry which I was absolutely disgusted with. I thought that I would have struggled with this having eaten meat for about 40 years but it's been really easy and I have reduced my Lantus from 18 to 12 so far. If you are considering changing your diet I promise you that it will be easier than you think and you will feel much better.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
High fat diet for mke mostly nut dairy veg but some animal too.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If you are considering changing your diet I promise you that it will be easier than you think and you will feel much better.

Just curious, are you T1 or T2? I'm guessing that vegan is an easier option for T1s like me rather than T2s who often need to severely restrict their carbs (ie no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes). Though I have been really enjoying courgetti spaghetti recently :), which is plant based and low in carbs.

Reactions: CathytheChef

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just curious, are you T1 or T2? I'm guessing that vegan is an easier option for T1s like me rather than T2s who often need to severely restrict their carbs (ie no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes). Though I have been really enjoying courgetti spaghetti recently :), which is plant based and low in carbs.
I love courgetti spaghetti! This was last night’s dinner, a vegan steak on a bed of courgetti with a sauce made from sun dried tomato paste, cubes of tofu fried in nutritional yeast and some olive oil. 12g carbs for the lot :)

53913884-1E26-4342-81A6-E87959EC08E4.jpeg

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

bobduff

I am a type 1 but there are loads of people that have reversed type 2 altogether changing to a plant based diet, cutting out all meat and dairy. I wish I was a type 2 to have tried reversing it myself. Animal products are to blame for many diseases we get including cancer.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

bobduff

I love courgetti spaghetti! This was last night’s dinner, a vegan steak on a bed of courgetti with a sauce made from sun dried tomato paste, cubes of tofu fried in nutritional yeast and some olive oil. 12g carbs for the lot :)

View attachment 38844
That looks amazing. I am looking forward to learning a bit more about cooking because there are some great meals you can make from plants. We don't need meat to thrive, in fact the meat and dairy is killing us.

Reactions: coby
M

Member496333

I’d love even the smallest chance to reverse the relentless grind of T1 by changing my food. None of it is a laugh.

Sure thing. I don’t doubt it. The reverse might be said by many type 2, but that isn’t really relevant to my post. I just thought it was amusing that someone “wishes” they were type 2 just so they could have a crack at reversing it. I don’t doubt the intention, but when the shoe’s on the other foot, people often realise that the grass isn’t any greener.

Reactions: Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, so I can already see this thread spinning off into bickering about who is worse off than whom, and setting different eating patterns off against each other.

- just like every other thread we have had on this type of topic over the last few years.

So I’m just stepping in at this point to make a few things clear:
- this thread was started by a type 1 diabetic celebrating how well his new animal product free eating is working for him. And the fact that he made personal ethical choices based on watching videos and researching.
- this is the vegetarian section of the forum.
- we already have a long currently active thread about how eating a plant based diet is significantly more challenging for those with insulin resistance and without exogenous insulin.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/and-so-it-begins-eat-less-meat-or-we’ll-make-you.171429/
- we also have a currently active thread discussing the evidence supporting plant based eating for i) cancer avoidance, ii) affecting the environment and iii) world health and nutrition guidelines.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/why-our-dietary-guidelines-are-bunk.172181/#post-2220121

Bearing all those things in mind, please ensure that your posts on this thread are civil and on topic. If you wish to post on other subjects there are plenty of opportunities to do so elsewhere.

bobduff

Yeah it's a right laugh. You should give it a try some time :hilarious:
I wasn't laughing at anyone or trying to put anybody down. I have seen lots of research papers about people reversing type 2 diabetes through diet alone but once you are type 1 then that's it for life. I'm not trying to offend anyone just inform type 2s that they can possibly get back to being fit and healthy because for some reason the doctors don't tell us about diet. Could it be because a healthy and fit person doesn't make money for the medical industry?

Reactions: michita

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't laughing at anyone or trying to put anybody down. I have seen lots of research papers about people reversing type 2 diabetes through diet alone but once you are type 1 then that's it for life. I'm not trying to offend anyone just inform type 2s that they can possibly get back to being fit and healthy because for some reason the doctors don't tell us about diet. Could it be because a healthy and fit person doesn't make money for the medical industry?

I totally agree with you about the misinformation aimed at Type 2 diabetics bandied about by doctors, dieticians, and numerous information sources all over the internet. There is a lot of it about. You may find the two threads I linked to in my last post extremely interesting, because they present the situation from the point of view of long term Types 2s here on the forum, with a wealth of research and years of experience. You will see that the situation is far from simple, and there is no simple solution, either.

Reactions: HSSS and zand

SeanF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi has anyone read the book, "Mastering Diabetes" by Cyprus Khambatta & Robby Barbara? I have seen some of their podcasts on YouTube and they seem to advocate a vegan fairly high carb diet but claim the results prove that it can improve insulin sensitivity. Has anyone read the book or tried the approach?

M

Member496333

These two have demonstrated recently that they are conflating physiological glucose sparing with pathological hyperinsulinemia and do not understand the difference between the two. That doesn't mean none of their ideas have any merit, but it does call into question the veracity of their claims of fixing insulin resistance. That said, I haven't read the book so I'm not in a position to comment further.

Laconic

Good for you I tried before cutting out meat and was always constantly hungry, pleased it’s worked for you though, but for me and many like me we are thriving on Keto and enjoy our meat dishes but each to their own I guess

Reactions: CathytheChef

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi there I changed my diet 2 weeks ago and cut out all meat and dairy. I had been considering this for a while and had watched a few videos on YouTube about the treatment of animals in the farming industry which I was absolutely disgusted with. I thought that I would have struggled with this having eaten meat for about 40 years but it's been really easy and I have reduced my Lantus from 18 to 12 so far. If you are considering changing your diet I promise you that it will be easier than you think and you will feel much better.
I am so glad to have seen your post bobduff. I don't eat meat other than chicken very occasionally, and wish to also drop dairy, but was afraid of how it would affect my health. I have taken plant based sterols for my cholesterol for three years now and seen a significant drop, so it made me wonder about going plant based with the rest of my diet!